It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:07 pm 
Power Forward

Quote:
Sources say the Jamie Langenbrunner auction is on in earnest, and the hammer may come down soon if Lou Lamoriello asks the Devils captain to waive his no-trade clause, and Langenbrunner submits.
Those sources say that it may be sooner rather than later before the trades begin in this historic disaster of a Devils season, and that Langenbrunner is the player teams want most.
It is believed Los Angeles and San Jose are prime suitors for Langenbrunner, but he may end up going to an Eastern contender, perhaps Washington or Pittsburgh, or even Boston -- if he waives his no-trade.

The Flyers, who visit Newark tonight, could certainly find room for this class of a captain, even if they'd have to find salary-cap space. Langenbrunner, an upcoming unrestricted free agent, is a self-confessed streak scorer with four goals this season, so the Devils would be dealing him at the bottom of his market.
Langenbrunner, 35, came to New Jersey in 2002 after winning a Stanley Cup with Dallas in 1999, and losing in the Final to the Devils in 2000. He shared the playoff lead in goal-scoring in the Devils' 2003 Stanley Cup championship and succeeded Patrik Elias as captain when Brent Sutter became coach.
Langenbrunner is a tough, sacrificing team player who returned from knee arthroscopy after only a week to play and score in the Devils' 2009 playoffs. He had an overblown beef with Jacques Lemaire late last season because he didn't want to be rested, but that situation seems past, and not a factor in any deal.
The NHL-worst Devils have lost 13 of 15 games and two straight to already match the number (27) of regulation losses they sustained in each of their prior two complete seasons.
The playoffs are not a mathematical impossibility, but that's all, and this team that seemed to grow so old so suddenly needs quality youth, and it'll best gain some by selling off its aging stars to contenders. Draft picks and defensemen are the obvious desires.
Lamoriello usually shops early when he's in the rental business, a regular occurrence during his 13-year playoff run. It appears he'll try to sell early, and perhaps the nine no-trade clauses on his roster won't be quite such an impediment, after all, given the rotten situation brewing in Newark.
Martin Brodeur, Johan Hedberg, Colin White, Brian Rolston, Langenbrunner, Ilya Kovalchuk, Jason Arnott, Patrik Elias and Anton Volchenkov all have no-trade or no-movement deals.
Dainius Zubrus is expected to remain out tonight with an unspecified injury, perhaps to his foot.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/l ... z1AIrw5FdV

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/langenbrunner_on_the_block_hXTOlMvNUn8mdI9eXy2CBL?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=&utm_source=bleacherreport.com

Interesting, a guy like this could be good for Buffalo, but idk what we could give up to NJ for him. Thoughts?

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:09 pm 
Hart Winner

We have a few defensemen... Maybe Stafford can be thrown in. Enroth looks like a good option.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:15 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Already a thread about him in NHL.

He won't be coming here. Buffalo won't take on any salary, and NJ can't take on any salary.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:19 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

BlueandYellow wrote:
We have a few defensemen... Maybe Stafford can be thrown in. Enroth looks like a good option.

Throw Stafford in for an old guy with a -4000 +-?

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Montalo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:32 pm 
PP Quarterback

Van_Da_Man wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

in perfect fairness, he is a +57 in +/- in his career

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:17 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Montalo wrote:
Van_Da_Man wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

in perfect fairness, he is a +57 in +/- in his career

:lol: Yeah, but it would still be trading a streaking youngish forward for an aging winger in obvious decline which doesn't make sense in any regard.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:39 am 
Garbage Man

Langenbrunner would be a valuable asset to a Western Conference team, specifically the Sharks.

The Devils are in complete rebuild mode. Lamoriello has done well reloading the roster each year to make deep playoff runs, but he has traded away youth in that span. Not only will they rebuild with snipers and defensemen, they will need to draft Martin Brodeur's replacement before his retirement.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:44 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Sabretooth wrote:
Langenbrunner would be a valuable asset to a Western Conference team, specifically the Sharks.

The Devils are in complete rebuild mode. Lamoriello has done well reloading the roster each year to make deep playoff runs, but he has traded away youth in that span. Not only will they rebuild with snipers and defensemen, they will need to draft Martin Brodeur's replacement before his retirement.

You know he been got traded right? :)

daz28
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:50 am 
Star Sniper

Van_Da_Man wrote:
Sabretooth wrote:

I cry foul. No one trades or improves their roster anymore -DR

Not saying we wanted(or needed, or could afford) Langenbrunner or Lapierre, but teams DO still make moves. Some more than others.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:52 am 
Garbage Man

Van_Da_Man wrote:

It would be helpful if someone mentioned that before I posted. Whoever is responsible for reporting here is worse than Bucky Gleason and Eklund.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:54 am 
Garbage Man

daz28 wrote:

Not saying we wanted(or needed, or could afford) Langenbrunner or Lapierre, but teams DO still make moves. Some more than others.

Twenty-nine NHL general managers make moves. One does not. Who do you think stands out the most?

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:40 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Sabretooth wrote:
daz28 wrote:

Twenty-nine NHL general managers make moves. One does not. Who do you think stands out the most?

Not this bullshit again... :roll:

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:43 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Sabretooth wrote:

What stands out is that unless Uncle Lou traded with himself, 2 general managers were involved in this deal. :)

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:45 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Squanto wrote:
Sabretooth wrote:

What stands out is that unless Uncle Lou traded with himself, 2 general managers were involved in this deal. :)

I thought he was just jabbing at darcy.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:32 am 
Garbage Man

Van_Da_Man wrote:
Squanto wrote:
Sabretooth wrote:

I thought he was just jabbing at darcy.

Right you are, Van_Da_Man. Darcy is that lone general manager who struggles to make any moves.