It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm 
Page Side

With the trade deadline only 27 days away, and a new owner taking over the team, it's about time we started a trade deadline thread.

I found an interesting quote from Darcy Regier about their strategy for this deadline.

Quote:
The Sabres, six points out in the East, have a number of UFAs-to-be on their roster, including Tim Connolly, Mike Grier, Rob Niedermayer, Craig Rivet and Steve Montador. Will those UFAs all survive the trade deadline?

"We're getting a lot of pop out of our young kids," Regier said. "Older players that we all believed in when we signed them aren't performing at the levels that they're capable of, or maybe we misjudged it. In some part, I think we could be selling veterans if we can sell them because we like what we see in our youth. I think it's going to be really interesting."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/3 ... month-away

Looks like we may be selling no matter what.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:12 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

or we are selling... to Terry P

and Timmy should go.... Rivet... Neids.... resign Monte...

are there any big names that could be had.... a nice top 6 player? a step up from a Rafi or Moore?

E X C E L L E N C E

slesh
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:39 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Grier
Niedermayer
Connolly
Rivet
Montador
Pomminville
Hecht
Quinn
Regier

There's my list of veterans to be gone :)

Rud
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:49 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I am more excited about the prospect of being a seller at the deadline instead of a buyer. Although I don't expect much of a return on our UFAs unless management completely swindles someone.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:53 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I'm with ya Rud...Sell BABY!!!! I'm completely not worried about what we get back, just concerned with the clean slate we'd get.

DieHardFan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 pm 
Emergency Call-Up

The Sabres seem to be in a unique situation whereby being sellers of veterans will not negatively affect the rest of their season one iota. Anything you can get for Connolly, Rivet, Niedermayer, or Grier will only be a plus.

SeveredLegionair
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:01 pm 
7th Defenseman

slesh wrote:
Grier
Niedermayer
Connolly
Rivet
Montador
Pomminville
Hecht
Quinn
Regier

Agree except for Monty.. I want to extend him another 3 years

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:55 pm 
Power Forward

SeveredLegionair wrote:
slesh wrote:
Grier
Niedermayer
Connolly
Rivet
Montador
Pomminville
Hecht
Quinn
Regier

Agree except for Monty.. I want to extend him another 3 years

The list is good and I think we should be sellers also. This team isn't going anywhere this season I would rather build this team for next year or the year after. I don't expect Pegula to step right in and perform miracles right away but as long as this team is headed in the right direction about being competitive each and every year I'm more than happy with that. I know Monty has been good but people keep forgetting that this team has a handfull of defenseman coming in Portland and a few in juniors that look very good.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:42 pm 
Star Sniper

I don't mind selling, but I doubt we'd get much in return. The players we can do without won't land much. We have seven pending UFAs (Connolly, Grier, Nieds, McCormick, Rivet, Monty, and Lalime). Only Connolly and Monty are tradeable for anything decent (and Connolly's contract will keep any return down), and I want to keep McCormick and Monty. I don't believe Pominville or Hecht can be moved with their contracts.

Anyway, the deadline is not the time to build. I'll get more excited in the off-season with a potential 17 mil to fill seven roster spots. That really only leaves room for two impact players though, considering minor raises to the RFAs we want to keep. One center and one d-man.

Good UFA centers -
Richards and...uh...well...

Good UFA d-men -
Ehrhoff
Wisniewski
Ericcson
Greene

Even if Donald Trump bought the team, I have a hard time believing we'll sign Brad Richards. Bring up the young guys at forward like Adam, Kassian and maybe Foligno but re-sign McCormick. Build up the d-corps by re-signing Montador, and then sign Ehrhoff and Wisniewski/Ericcson/Greene. Bring up Enroth for back-up.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford
Ennis-Adam-Pominville
Gerbe-Hecht-Kassian
McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta
Foligno/Mancari/Byron/Ellis/Gragnani as call-up fill-ins

Ehrhoff-Myers
Leopold-Montador
Morrisonn-Wisniewski
Sekera/Weber

The forward lines will be mediocre until Hecht and Gaustad's contract can be dumped in 2012. Myers will need a decent contract that year though. It will be until 2014 that Pominville and Vanek's contracts will expire, making it hard to do anything big unless they both finally produce more.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:05 pm 
Captain Dynasty

DieHardFan wrote:
The Sabres seem to be in a unique situation whereby being sellers of veterans will not negatively affect the rest of their season one iota. Anything you can get for Connolly, Rivet, Niedermayer, or Grier will only be a plus.

Sorry, but that's just wrong. The only guys who wouldn't be missed are Butler, Rivet, and Niedermayer, the guys that either aren't playing or aren't producing. As bad as Connolly, Hecht, Grier, and Pominville are for their contracts, moving them for lesser value would leave gaping holes in the lineup and make the team worse.

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:20 pm 
Penalty Killer

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
DieHardFan wrote:

Sorry, but that's just wrong. The only guys who wouldn't be missed are Butler, Rivet, and Niedermayer, the guys that either aren't playing or aren't producing. As bad as Connolly, Hecht, Grier, and Pominville are for their contracts, moving them for lesser value would leave gaping holes in the lineup and make the team worse.

I'm with ya, CV, except for Connolly. I say get rid of him now, if anybody wants him! I feel that he's more of a problem than a help. He could end up being an object lesson to the rest of the team. I can't put a finger on it but I get the feeling that he's become a rotten apple. Get rid of him before he ruins the rest of the barrel.

Oh, and I like Pominville. Keep him. 8-)

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:38 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Nuthatch wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
DieHardFan wrote:

I'm with ya, CV, except for Connolly. I say get rid of him now, if anybody wants him! I feel that he's more of a problem than a help. He could end up being an object lesson to the rest of the team. I can't put a finger on it but I get the feeling that he's become a rotten apple. Get rid of him before he ruins the rest of the barrel.

Oh, and I like Pominville. Keep him. 8-)

Yeah, I'm with you, I want Connolly gone and I think it's the right move, but it isn't simply addition by subtraction.

motzie12ak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:41 pm 
Garbage Man

keep Montador. He has been one of our best D-men and his pairing with Leopold has been solid all season. Plus Monty has been one of the better shot blockers this season.

Tim Connolly can go.

patkane88
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:55 am 
Captain Clutch

How come no one has mentioned trading Lalime?? Ohh wait he's suppose to actually play and not suck, never mind. ;)

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

daz28
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 am 
Star Sniper

It seems as though DR is having a moment of clarity. Funny how it coincides with new ownership. The 1st step in fixing a problem is admitting you have one, and he's done that. It's just a shame it seems forced. Guys like Rivet have been bad so long they smell like rotten cabbage, and Regier's nasal cavities just now seem to have cleared up.

shedoesntgetit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:54 am 
Garbage Man

motzie12ak wrote:
keep Montador. He has been one of our best D-men and his pairing with Leopold has been solid all season. Plus Monty has been one of the better shot blockers this season.

Tim Connolly can go.

meh. i'd almost ok with montador leaving. if by the deadline were not in a serious hunt for the playoffs, i'd say shop him. hes on pace to have the best season, statistically, of his career i'm sure he'd get a pretty decent return for us right now. plus, we have so many defenseman in our system that i don't think it'd hurt us to lose him. brennan, schiestel, and biega could all easily come up and play.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:12 am 
Superstar Goalie

No way do we shop montador unless it's a package deal for someone who's consistently proven they can score goals (I mean a forward, for anyone not so quick on the pick up)

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:28 am 
Garbage Man

Definite goners via trade:
Connolly
Rivet

Bubble UFAs:
Grier
Niedermayer

Definite resignee:
Montador

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:32 am 
Garbage Man

gr8daygo wrote:
are there any big names that could be had.... a nice top 6 player? a step up from a Rafi or Moore?

Yes, there are a couple. If Regier stays and gets his head out of his ass, he might be able to swing for one who will stay beyond season's end.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:36 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

shedoesntgetit wrote:
brennan, schiestel, and biega could all easily come up and play.

That's a pretty healthy assumption.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next