It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:47 pm 
Power Forward

gr8daygo wrote:
mechaphil wrote:
Does the fact that Fisher and Versteeg got moved for 1st round picks + devalue the 1st round pick so much this season that Connolly could possibly bring in a 1st round pick or maybe a 2nd +?

my question is what would you do with the roster? I like the way they are playing but Im not sure if they are built for a deep run... if they make it in... do you shake anything up? do you send any UFA out? ... or do you run 'em the way they are built and see what you got?

Me personally I shake up the roster alittle bit and unload Rivet, Connolly, Grier and possibly Hecht. This team if they make the playoffs won't last long to begin with. If the 06-07 team couldn't get us there what makes people think this team will. I would rather unload the garbage if we can get something for these clowns and rebuild for next year or the year after. I'm sure i'm coming off as negative but as much as I love this team this current core isn't going to get us far even though they have been playing great of late.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:49 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Calling Rivet, Connolly, Grier, and Hecht members of this team's core is lol-worthy

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:55 pm 
Captain Dynasty

im a true believer of make it and see what happens. plus bringing in a player or two, if they are the right one, can make a HUGE difference.

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:56 pm 
Power Forward

mechaphil wrote:
Calling Rivet, Connolly, Grier, and Hecht members of this team's core is lol-worthy

Well they are still part of this team and if Regier didn't think Connolly was part of the core then why was he re-signed and then called him and Roy two of the top 20 centers in the league.
Believe me I know what you mean though.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:04 pm 
Garbage Man

SabresBillsFan wrote:
I think one guy you forgot to list is Hecht. Me personally if you can get a taker on him I would move him. Yes he's a decent player and I hate his choice of shot selection but he's overpaid for what he brings to this team.

Hecht is a bubble player. I think he can be used to bring in Weiss.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:27 pm 
Hart Winner

Sabretooth wrote:
SabresBillsFan wrote:
I think one guy you forgot to list is Hecht. Me personally if you can get a taker on him I would move him. Yes he's a decent player and I hate his choice of shot selection but he's overpaid for what he brings to this team.

LOL Hecht for Weiss? If Hecht is in a deal for Weiss it wont happen. Florida is already short for some forwards and adding Hecht in return for one of your best forwards is a shit trade for Florida.

burner087
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:14 am 
Brawler

I'm ok if they just dump players for picks. Hell trade Rivet for a 6th rounder, I'm ok with it. Just get him gone. Hecht, Connolly.. get em gone as well. Get picks or prospects.

This team if it makes the playoffs will not find lightning in the bottle like the Flyers did when they scraped in last year. Lets start fresh next season.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:33 am 
Captain Dynasty

Quote:
On TSN they had a list of top tens available at trade deadline day... The 3 players I have my eye on are

1. Eric Brewer

2. Ales Hemsky

3. Jaarko Ruutu

I know I've been one of the posters on here saying we will not be making the playoffs but this recent run tells me that this teams not ready to quit. We are very much in the race right now and Darcy needs to get something big done at trade deadline day or before trade deadline day to actually secure his job job IMO. If we miss playoffs I believe Darcy will be fired and Ruff will not be extended for his tenure with the Sabres.

By watching tonights game we need toughness and scoring in our line up because we have 0 of it. I don't really know what the Oilers, Blues or Sens want in return for those players but the following are examples of trades that I've come up with that I think would work for all teams.

Trade 1
To Buffalo
* Ales Hemsky

To Edmonton
* Jason Pominville
* 4th and 5th round choices

Trade 2
To Buffalo
* Eric Brewer

To St. Louis
* Andrej Sekera
* Jochen Hecht
* 1st rounder

Trade 3
To BUffalo
* Jaarko Ruutu

To Senators
* 2nd rounder & 3rd rounders

I know trading our draft picks away isn't that great of an idea but honestly we do this all year just hold on to this picks and wait for another 4+ years for that player to develope and then when he does end up being an NHL caliber player we are right back in the same situation again. We need a winner on the ice becuase come next time Miller and our other important players contracts run out they will not be staying here. I can gurantee you that Miller leaves unless we start putting a winner on the ice.

Brewer would be a great asset to this team for a playoff push. The guy can be one of the best dmen when he is playing and he's pretty big guy and can mentor Myers into becoming a superstar defenseman. Ruutu would be a good acqusition because they guys a pest and he can score; I know he hasn't done much this season but who on the Senators has? And finally Hemsky would be an upgrade over Pominville on the RW. The guy can easily be a top 10 player if surrounded by the right players.

Anyways these are just ideas so no need to go postal or anything.

Horrible game tonight. Did Lindy not notice that cycling the puck did not work all game long. I don't know why they didn't change their game plan. NOt the type of decisions that need to be made when a win could have put us into 8th place tonight. Hopefully we can do good on this home stand.

GO SABRES!!!!

from a poster on the old boards. how ya like that one jay? :P

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:06 am 
Franchise Defenseman

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Quote:
On TSN they had a list of top tens available at trade deadline day... The 3 players I have my eye on are

1. Eric Brewer

2. Ales Hemsky

3. Jaarko Ruutu

I know I've been one of the posters on here saying we will not be making the playoffs but this recent run tells me that this teams not ready to quit. We are very much in the race right now and Darcy needs to get something big done at trade deadline day or before trade deadline day to actually secure his job job IMO. If we miss playoffs I believe Darcy will be fired and Ruff will not be extended for his tenure with the Sabres.

By watching tonights game we need toughness and scoring in our line up because we have 0 of it. I don't really know what the Oilers, Blues or Sens want in return for those players but the following are examples of trades that I've come up with that I think would work for all teams.

Trade 1
To Buffalo
* Ales Hemsky

To Edmonton
* Jason Pominville
* 4th and 5th round choices

Trade 2
To Buffalo
* Eric Brewer

To St. Louis
* Andrej Sekera
* Jochen Hecht
* 1st rounder

Trade 3
To BUffalo
* Jaarko Ruutu

To Senators
* 2nd rounder & 3rd rounders

I know trading our draft picks away isn't that great of an idea but honestly we do this all year just hold on to this picks and wait for another 4+ years for that player to develope and then when he does end up being an NHL caliber player we are right back in the same situation again. We need a winner on the ice becuase come next time Miller and our other important players contracts run out they will not be staying here. I can gurantee you that Miller leaves unless we start putting a winner on the ice.

Brewer would be a great asset to this team for a playoff push. The guy can be one of the best dmen when he is playing and he's pretty big guy and can mentor Myers into becoming a superstar defenseman. Ruutu would be a good acqusition because they guys a pest and he can score; I know he hasn't done much this season but who on the Senators has? And finally Hemsky would be an upgrade over Pominville on the RW. The guy can easily be a top 10 player if surrounded by the right players.

Anyways these are just ideas so no need to go postal or anything.

Horrible game tonight. Did Lindy not notice that cycling the puck did not work all game long. I don't know why they didn't change their game plan. NOt the type of decisions that need to be made when a win could have put us into 8th place tonight. Hopefully we can do good on this home stand.

GO SABRES!!!!

from a poster on the old boards. how ya like that one jay? :P

A D man a two wingers won't help us down the middle... unless im slow and one of 'em is a C... I agree with what he is saying and have no problem with his take or any of the trades... but how or can you strengthen the middle of this team....

Timmy is on the way out and while playing better, still makes enough bone head plays to be a detriment, see last nights SHG, that started with Timmy

Neids is old and putting him in between Staff and TV, right now, is just bad....

Cody is what he is... a decent 4th line C

Goose is the face off guy, but other than that... eehhh as of late

Ive seen Hecht at C... I dont like it....

Again Roy being out hurts... And Im really not sure if there are any C out there.... Or what they would even be worth... but my inexperienced thought is unless we strengthen the middle, we are going no where...

E X C E L L E N C E

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:44 am 
Penalty Killer

NO Jaarko Ruutu! EVER!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:50 am 
Garbage Man

BlueandYellow wrote:
Sabretooth wrote:
SabresBillsFan wrote:

LOL Hecht for Weiss? If Hecht is in a deal for Weiss it wont happen. Florida is already short for some forwards and adding Hecht in return for one of your best forwards is a shit trade for Florida.

The Sabres need offensive firepower. Get over it. Send them Butler and Gerbe also.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:14 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Nuthatch wrote:
NO Jaarko Ruutu! EVER!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

yeah is a pretty big d-bag... i rather not see him in buffalo... gotta be a few better options than him... but seriously... in order to improve, C has to the the glaring weakness in this team...

E X C E L L E N C E

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:59 pm 
Power Forward

burner087 wrote:
I'm ok if they just dump players for picks. Hell trade Rivet for a 6th rounder, I'm ok with it. Just get him gone. Hecht, Connolly.. get em gone as well. Get picks or prospects.

This team if it makes the playoffs will not find lightning in the bottle like the Flyers did when they scraped in last year. Lets start fresh next season.

I'm with you and I would call up the guys in Portland to fill the void. I would like to see what Mancari could do with 20 straight games under his belt. But that's just me!

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:43 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

QUESTION:

Are there any first/second line centers rumored to be on the trade market?

Are there any 3rd line C that are buried on a team that would be a solid second line C rumored to be on the trade market?

E X C E L L E N C E

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:56 pm 
Star Sniper

gr8daygo wrote:
QUESTION:

Are there any 3rd line C that are buried on a team that would be a solid second line C rumored to be on the trade market?

Florida is so poorly managed that I would not even be surprised if Mr. Regier pulled the wool over their eyes and bartered a deal that would rival the Gratton/Briere trade that made the Sabres a Cup favorite so long ago. Don't be surprised if you see something like Byron and a 1st rounder for Weiss. I know, I know, "OMGZ A FURST ROUNDER!!!1". Trust me, that's a steal for Buffalo, and nothing against Byron who is a fine hockey player.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:05 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
QUESTION:

Florida is so poorly managed that I would not even be surprised if Mr. Regier pulled the wool over their eyes and bartered a deal that would rival the Gratton/Briere trade that made the Sabres a Cup favorite so long ago. Don't be surprised if you see something like Byron and a 1st rounder for Weiss. I know, I know, "OMGZ A FURST ROUNDER!!!1". Trust me, that's a steal for Buffalo, and nothing against Byron who is a fine hockey player.

Id like that... not overly worried about the pick... but would you in turn try and get a first for Timmy and bring up adam for the remainder of the year? May not work out for this year but...\

Weiss
Roy
Goose/Adam
Cody

In 2011/12 would make me feel a little better... and you still hold a first...

E X C E L L E N C E

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:33 pm 
Star Sniper

gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
QUESTION:

Id like that... not overly worried about the pick... but would you in turn try and get a first for Timmy and bring up adam for the remainder of the year? May not work out for this year but...\

Weiss
Roy
Goose/Adam
Cody

There are a lot of scenarios that I would consider from the GM seat, I mean everything you do is goign to effect everything else, there are so many variables that I can only give my opinion on a few.

1, Keep Connolly. I love people and I believe that by treating people as kindly as I can, good things will come to me in return. But business decisions can't be made with Connolly's or anybody else's feelings in mind. Don't forget that he has an obligation to live up to the contract he signed, they are paying him, it's not like he's doing the Sabres franchise any free favors. His bread and butter is the power play, and it's alarming how unproductive he has been at it this season, and for that reason alone I would try and upgrade him. But with Roy out and not a great deal of depth and/or experience at center, you have got to consider the possibility that keeping Connolly is what's best for the team this season.

2. If you find another center, trade Connolly for a draft pick.

3. Swap him for another UFA like Arnott. This is kind of a cool thing because both teams get a tes drive of the player before the summer bidding wars. Mabye Kovalchuk and Connolly mesh? Then you know he is going to want to stay in NJ and he will get a nice contract from them. The Sabres get a good center who maybe stays on for another year.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:42 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
QUESTION:

Weiss
Roy
Goose/Adam
Cody

There are a lot of scenarios that I would consider from the GM seat, I mean everything you do is goign to effect everything else, there are so many variables that I can only give my opinion on a few.

1, Keep Connolly. I love people and I believe that by treating people as kindly as I can, good things will come to me in return. But business decisions can't be made with Connolly's or anybody else's feelings in mind. Don't forget that he has an obligation to live up to the contract he signed, they are paying him, it's not like he's doing the Sabres franchise any free favors. His bread and butter is the power play, and it's alarming how unproductive he has been at it this season, and for that reason alone I would try and upgrade him. But with Roy out and not a great deal of depth and/or experience at center, you have got to consider the possibility that keeping Connolly is what's best for the team this season.

2. If you find another center, trade Connolly for a draft pick.

3. Swap him for another UFA like Arnott. This is kind of a cool thing because both teams get a tes drive of the player before the summer bidding wars. Mabye Kovalchuk and Connolly mesh? Then you know he is going to want to stay in NJ and he will get a nice contract from them. The Sabres get a good center who maybe stays on for another year.

I do kind of like the idea if sending Rivet, Neids, Timmy packing...

Adding Weiss, Arnott.... probably way to unrealistic and to much upheaval to a roster, but, Im thinking Arnott would be greater than Neids.... Weiss gives you a little more depth at C...A little more long term future at C...and he is a little bigger than Roy...

Again, not sure what it would take to pull that off...or if its to, EA Sports, Its in the game! but I like the idea of

Weiss
Arnott
Goose
Cody

Could Arnott keep up with a fast paced Ruff system?

E X C E L L E N C E

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:48 pm 
Star Sniper

Arnott would NOT hurt the Sabres forecheck one bit, but I don't see how he would help an already suspect back checking team. So in short, no he could not keep up with Ruff's demands all over the ice. But you know they already have a lot of inconsistency with the system already, and that's a whole other long winded discussion. Going from Connolly's 45% faceoffedness to Arnott's 52% would do wonders for puck control.

THE BEST thing the Sabres could do for the immediate and long term future for the team is bring in a guy like Weiss. 27-28 years old, 60-70 points per year, reliable enough defensively, versatile, and not a cap burden. And he's a good guy too, which is important I guess because to me it seems like the entire team is composed of alter boys. I'm certain that's not true, but even their nastiest player seems to have integrity.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:55 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
Arnott would NOT hurt the Sabres forecheck one bit, but I don't see how he would help an already suspect back checking team. So in short, no he could not keep up with Ruff's demands all over the ice. But you know they already have a lot of inconsistency with the system already, and that's a whole other long winded discussion. Going from Connolly's 45% faceoffedness to Arnott's 52% would do wonders for puck control.

THE BEST thing the Sabres could do for the immediate and long term future for the team is bring in a guy like Weiss. 27-28 years old, 60-70 points per year, reliable enough defensively, versatile, and not a cap burden. And he's a good guy too, which is important I guess because to me it seems like the entire team is composed of alter boys. I'm certain that's not true, but even their nastiest player seems to have integrity.

It would certainly be a very nice start... now if only Darcy had one more fleece job up his sleeve! It might actually save his job... :lol:

E X C E L L E N C E

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next