It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
X-pensfan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:58 pm 
Star Sniper

gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
Arnott would NOT hurt the Sabres forecheck one bit, but I don't see how he would help an already suspect back checking team. So in short, no he could not keep up with Ruff's demands all over the ice. But you know they already have a lot of inconsistency with the system already, and that's a whole other long winded discussion. Going from Connolly's 45% faceoffedness to Arnott's 52% would do wonders for puck control.

THE BEST thing the Sabres could do for the immediate and long term future for the team is bring in a guy like Weiss. 27-28 years old, 60-70 points per year, reliable enough defensively, versatile, and not a cap burden. And he's a good guy too, which is important I guess because to me it seems like the entire team is composed of alter boys. I'm certain that's not true, but even their nastiest player seems to have integrity.

It would certainly be a very nice start... now if only Darcy had one more fleece job up his sleeve! It might actually save his job... :lol:

This is going to be an interview of sorts in the eyes of new management, I hope he seizes the moment and makes a positive statement.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:01 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
Arnott would NOT hurt the Sabres forecheck one bit, but I don't see how he would help an already suspect back checking team. So in short, no he could not keep up with Ruff's demands all over the ice. But you know they already have a lot of inconsistency with the system already, and that's a whole other long winded discussion. Going from Connolly's 45% faceoffedness to Arnott's 52% would do wonders for puck control.

THE BEST thing the Sabres could do for the immediate and long term future for the team is bring in a guy like Weiss. 27-28 years old, 60-70 points per year, reliable enough defensively, versatile, and not a cap burden. And he's a good guy too, which is important I guess because to me it seems like the entire team is composed of alter boys. I'm certain that's not true, but even their nastiest player seems to have integrity.

It would certainly be a very nice start... now if only Darcy had one more fleece job up his sleeve! It might actually save his job... :lol:

This is going to be an interview of sorts in the eyes of new management, I hope he seizes the moment and makes a positive statement.

We should send him flowers with a note reminding him that Quinn is gone and not looking over his shoulder... just in case he forgot...

E X C E L L E N C E

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:06 pm 
Star Sniper

gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

We should send him flowers with a note reminding him that Quinn is gone and not looking over his shoulder... just in case he forgot...

He's not gone yet however, so I hope Buffalo has a few places to get a rub and a tug cause he's gonna need it lol

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:09 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

He's not gone yet however, so I hope Buffalo has a few places to get a rub and a tug cause he's gonna need it lol

I thought Quinn was stepping away after the press conf. ?... Maybe that was my wishful thinking. In any event, Quinn will be gone hopefully next week.....

E X C E L L E N C E

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:38 am 
Garbage Man

I thought Quinn was blasting out of this world to another dimension.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:09 pm 
Star Sniper

I didn't get a corporate memo or anything, but I certainly know how to speculate, so don't take my observations to heart. I think the current mgmt team will work with the new owners as advisers.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:22 pm 
Garbage Man

X-pensfan wrote:
I didn't get a corporate memo or anything, but I certainly know how to speculate, so don't take my observations to heart. I think the current mgmt team will work with the new owners as advisers.

Advising the new owners to do nothing before Wednesday will clearly be advising in the wrong direction.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:10 am 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

The Sabres and Blues will probably hook up in the next 48 hours and make a trade, a lot of chatter around the internet about it, although it did appear on hockey"lies and slander".com last night, so it has me worried, but from reliable sources as well.

I'm feeling something like:

Connolly, prospect and a 2nd for Brad Boyes and a midranged prospect.

Squanto 7/27/2010

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:22 am 
Garbage Man

jvaccaro6 wrote:
I'm feeling something like:

Connolly, prospect and a 2nd for Brad Boyes and a midranged prospect.

Congratulations, you got your wish without us losing Connolly and a prospect. Unfortunately, we lose out on a prospect and not getting rid of Connolly.

Ottawa Sun:

Quote:
- C Brad Richards, Dallas: He turned down what sources say was a “fair market” extension from the Stars, but has declared he wants to stay. There is some talk Richards wants a long-term deal in the eight-year range if he’s going to stay. Nobody wants to give out those deals with the CBA expiring in 16 months. The Kings, Rangers and Sabres are in hot pursuit with Los Angeles GM Dean Lombardi under pressure to add scoring . The asking price is huge: The word is Dallas GM Joe Nieuwendyk wanted two roster players and a draft pick from New York to open the negotiations. Nothing may happen and a major issue is the Stars can’t get Richards to tell them whether he’s willing to waive his no-movement clause.

- LW David Booth and C Stephen Weiss, Florida: There was some discussion Sunday they might go as a package deal. GM Dale Tallon is in total rebuild mode. Weiss has a no-movent clause, but he’d likely waive it. This option might be attractive to Buffalo GM Darcy Regier, with the blessing of new owner Terry Pegula to spend money.

The Preds are looking for help with Marcel Goc injured. GM David Poile has called about Hemsky, Buffalo’s Thomas Vanek and Toronto’s Clarke MacArthur.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:36 am 
Superstar Goalie

So anyone hear any rumors today? I'm drooling for info....any info...hahaha

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 am 
Star Sniper

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/

Have at it!

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:43 am 
Superstar Goalie

sweet...thanks. Oh, and Barnaby is saying Sabres aren't looking to shop TC. Meh.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 am 
Superstar Goalie

I have to say it even though the chances are slim. If we get Staz I'll be one fucking happy fan.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:08 pm 
Superstar Goalie

What do you guys think of Bogosian? He's slipped this year but I think he'd be a good fit on our second pairing.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:13 pm 
Star Sniper

He still has the potential to warrant a high price, but so far last year and this year he's been on the ice for a ton of goals. I'd pass.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:14 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Just wanted to share this little write up on Darcy and our trade situation. Does is have merit? Dunno, but it is a feel good read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6218 ... five-ideas

Quote:
Trade deadline day is always an interesting one to say the least. This one especially for Buffalo Sabres fans. For years now, we have seen very little to nothing done as the day comes and goes.

Players of recent deadline moves who have been brought in by Darcy Regier include: Raffi Torres, Steve Bernier, Dominic Moore, and Dainius Zubrus. Not exactly the kind of players that set your team over the top for a strong playoff push.

But this year just seems different. Regier has had the financial restraints cut loose, and has said any move they make will be for a player to stick around long term...as in longer than 20 games.

If Regier is serious about making a statement to the fans and new owner Terry Pegula, there are several options out there for him to consider.

J.M. Liles from the Colorado Avalanche is a good option. A strong defenseman with some offensive awareness. His salary is roughly $4.25 million per year, with one year left on his contract. Liles would bolster a defense that could use a bit more fire power from the point without sacrificing defense.

A giant splash would be trying to land center Brad Richards from the Dallas Stars. Though the asking price from the Stars seems to be very steep, Richards is the type of center Buffalo has needed for about five seasons. Richards would be an investment in the teams future. He is the type of player who would make a winger like Thomas Vanek flourish, and become the 40 goal player they have hoped for.

Another idea could be Atlanta Thrasher young blueliner Zach Bogosian. It has been rumored Bogosian said he will not be in Atlanta next season, and he and the coaches have had a difference in opinions this season. While he has struggled in his third year, Bogosian is the type of player that a team can guarantee a future with. He has captain capabilities. Something Buffalo has lacked for seasons.

A bit less money with a few more years in age is the option of a player like Atlanta Thrashers defenseman Ron Hainsey. Hainsey is a veteran presence and has some offensive skill. He skates well, and can lug the puck up the ice. His contract is rather high, but its something Regier and the Sabres could handle under their salary cap.

Coming back to the forwards; a speedy high scoring winger like Ales Hemsky could also suit the Sabres needs for lack of fire power. The Edmonton Oilers are not going to let Hemsky go for free though. Regier would have to be creative in his trade proposal with the Oilers to land him. Hensky has speed and a nose for the net. Something the Sabres are in desperate need of.

But the simple fact is, Regier has to make a move. A bold move. A decisive move, which shows the fans of Buffalo just how serious he is as the general manager of a new Buffalo Sabres regime.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:20 pm 
Star Sniper

Liles - good pick-up if we give up no more than Butler/Sekera and a pick
Richards - definitely don't want as a rental, but this summer...hell yeah
Bogosian - expensive in trade value and risky
Hainsey - not bad but his contract is a joke
Hemsky - we don't need him and he'll cost too much in players and salary cap

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:02 pm 
Superstar Goalie

So Leopold wasn't at practice today? hrmmm....

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:07 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

:?

Last edited by Yhoshi on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:07 pm 
Star Sniper

He was out injured last game, he's just taking it easy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next