It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:25 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Squanto wrote:
Aside from a cap relief aspect, I'm not sure why Pittsburgh would want to do this.

To actually get wingers on their team :lol:

Pominville with Crosby would probably rejuvenate Pominville's game. Plus Staal is a second line center on any team, and Letestu gets to stay with the big club and he looks promising too.

I would do it in a heartbeat if they wanted Pominville, Sekera, and a pick r prospect, anymore is overkill, but I wouldn't send Kassian to them, he needs to stay with us, plus Ennis is untouchable too.

when it comes to malkin, ennis is not untouchable.

id hate to send kassian, but kassian is a physical player with some offensive upside (25 goals a year probably) so hes not untouchable either.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:32 pm 
Page Side

Ennis is a future Briere.

There's a general perception of Malkin being somewhat lazy.

I'm not sure that I'm ready to move a hard working player with a scoring touch for a 9 million dollar cap hit.

I like the idea of sending Vanek plus whatever and getting Malkin. We swap a wing for a center, only absorb an additional 2 million (at most) cap hit, and we make room for some of our younger wingers of the future to play regular minutes.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:34 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i love ennis, but hes no malkin. a lazy malkin is still a superstar that eclipses ennis. IMO, of course. feel free to disagree.

however, in sending ennis, the rest of the package would be somewhat marginal.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:38 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Simple observation: If we all would take the deal in a heartbeat, it's obviously a deal skewed towards the Sabres and therefore inequitable.

My money is on no effin' way.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:40 pm 
Page Side

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
i love ennis, but hes no malkin. a lazy malkin is still a superstar that eclipses ennis. IMO, of course. feel free to disagree.

however, in sending ennis, the rest of the package would be somewhat marginal.

I'm not comparing Ennis to Malkin though. I'm comparing Vanek to Ennis.

I believe Ennis is going to develop into more of an impact player than Vanek is capable of being.

Additionally, in order to take on the cap hit of Malkin, we'd have to shed some.

Just my opinion, but if I were GM, I'd be shipping out Vanek before Ennis.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:43 pm 
Page Side

Crosscheck wrote:
Simple observation: If we all would take the deal in a heartbeat, it's obviously a deal skewed towards the Sabres and therefore inequitable.

I don't believe in that sentiment. Why would you make a trade if you didn't truly believe your hockey club was getting better?

I'd be somewhat nervous about sending Vanek. He's shown some flashes of brilliance in this league, and Ennis has yet to prove himself to be that kind of player. It's a hunch for me. Additionally, Geno's got a huge cap hit.

Fact of the matter is, the Sabres need help at Center. Pittsburgh's got a surplus of them. And if Geno were available, I'd make the deal.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:45 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

id like to see it happen... but I don't want to see ZK, Ennis, Myers or Weber moved... And I hate to give up a first, but 'eh... not sure.... push the 2nd go up if you have to...

If your worried about Letestu... just send them Timmy as well...lol... injury rental until he gets healthy...

I'd love to see a big bad splash and ive said it before, Malkin needs his own team, Pittsburgh won't be able to keep all that talent together... get it done...

E X C E L L E N C E

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:50 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I think XC's points is to look at this from Pittsburgh's side. What do they have to gain from the deal?

Do they need to cap space for another move? Maybe.

Are they willing to part with one of their star players, and second leading scoring forward to get that cap space? I dunno.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:56 pm 
Hart Winner

ScottP wrote:
That'd certainly be interesting. Is Pominville, Sekera/Weber, McNabb and a 1st enough, though?

If Pitt would take that deal I'd do it in a heartbeat. Preferably send Sekera.

LOL It's enough.

GoSabres29
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:58 pm 
Garbage Man

Like I said, I think Pominville would be great on Pittsburgh. He's a ppg player if he has someone feeding him the puck, and Crosby definitely would. Staal would replace Malkin as 2nd line center and they would free up a little cap space to make another aquisistion. Looking at it from the Pens side, I don't think it looks bad at all. I don't think I'm stretching it that much when I say its a win-win.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:59 pm 
Page Side

GoSabres29 wrote:
Like I said, I think Pominville would be great on Pittsburgh. He's a ppg player if he has someone feeding him the puck, and Crosby definitely would. Staal would replace Malkin as 2nd line center and they would free up a little cap space to make another aquisistion. Looking at it from the Pens side, I don't think it looks bad at all. I don't think I'm stretching it that much when I say its a win-win.

XPens, where do the Pens need help? How's their defense?

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:00 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Squanto wrote:
I think XC's points is to look at this from Pittsburgh's side. What do they have to gain from the deal?

Do they need to cap space for another move? Maybe.

Are they willing to part with one of their star players, and second leading scoring forward to get that cap space? I dunno.

They may not need cap space yet... BUT they are sure going to need cap space... 10 players coming up to UFA or RFA in 2011/12... two $8.7 million players currently (Malkin & Sid)... Staal at 4 through 2012, he is (will be) the 2nd line C and will need a little raise...

They also need help on the wing... and currently stand with NO cap space...

I don't think its just cap relief, but adding a solid wing and prospect (Gerbe maybe), revamping the forwards a little with all the free agents they have coming up...

There blue line looks pretty locked up for now, so Im not sure if a Sekera would be an up grade for them....

They simply will not be able to keep all those players, so why not grab the return while you can....

E X C E L L E N C E

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:03 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:

I don't believe in that sentiment. Why would you make a trade if you didn't truly believe your hockey club was getting better?

I'd be somewhat nervous about sending Vanek. He's shown some flashes of brilliance in this league, and Ennis has yet to prove himself to be that kind of player. It's a hunch for me. Additionally, Geno's got a huge cap hit.

Fact of the matter is, the Sabres need help at Center. Pittsburgh's got a surplus of them. And if Geno were available, I'd make the deal.

I wasn't making a comment on a possible Vanek trade, I was commenting on the Pommers + ? + picks being discussed and whole heartedly agreed to on the first page of this thread.

That said, I don't really see why Pitt would do Vanek / Malkin either.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:04 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

If I'm looking at this from the Pens side, I can't justify giving up Geno for Pomminville, a depth defenseman, and prospects/picks.

Even Pomminville plays great and puts up career numbers, he still gives you less production than Malkin will. Even if he matches Malkin's numbers, you're now only gaining some cap space.

Just don't see any reason for Pittsburgh to do this.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:05 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
GoSabres29 wrote:

XPens, where do the Pens need help? How's their defense?

all but one locked up through 2013/14.... and the RFA is Goligoski and Im pretty sure they like him a lot...

Current pens blue line.... not sure if Sekera or even Weber would be an up grade for them
Martin
Michalek
Orpik
Letang
Goligoski
Lovejoy
Engelland - just got an extension

E X C E L L E N C E

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:05 pm 
Star Sniper

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
Ennis is a future Briere.

There's a general perception of Malkin being somewhat lazy.

I'm not sure that I'm ready to move a hard working player with a scoring touch for a 9 million dollar cap hit.

I like the idea of sending Vanek plus whatever and getting Malkin. We swap a wing for a center, only absorb an additional 2 million (at most) cap hit, and we make room for some of our younger wingers of the future to play regular minutes.

Malkin is not a cure-all, but a "lazy" Malkin is still going to score 90 points as long as he runs the power play and has a decent wingers. And I think we all know that a motivated Malkin is worth every penny of that contract.

The dynamic of bringing in a world class center cannot be understated, it creates a ripple effect throughout the line up that can elevate a team almost instantly. Even if the Sabres still had Breire there, how much better is a one two punch of Briere-Roy as opposed to what they have now? Any team that can boast Roy as their second line center is going to be VERY good. Now with Malkin and Roy you have 40+ minutes of pure awesome every game.

I've followed Malkin's career since the WJCs, through his difficult escape from Russia to his Conn Smythe Cup run and beyond. I read the story about how he spontaneously paid for a Russian girls medical expenses simply because he could and she needed the help. She was born without and arm. I know all about his bizarre prison theme restaurant in Magnitogursk. And I also have a vague understanding of what kind of a man he is on and off the ice. He's got heart, and a sensitive ego. That's my perception take it for what it's worth. By no means is he easy to coach, he has to be the Alpha-Dog but it can't be handed to him either because he will know he hasn't earned it.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Last edited by X-pensfan on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:08 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Squanto wrote:
If I'm looking at this from the Pens side, I can't justify giving up Geno for Pomminville, a depth defenseman, and prospects/picks.

Even Pomminville plays great and puts up career numbers, he still gives you less production than Malkin will. Even if he matches Malkin's numbers, you're now only gaining some cap space.

Just don't see any reason for Pittsburgh to do this.

They finically have to.... its going to have to happen sooner or later....

E X C E L L E N C E

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:10 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

That's true, but I can't see them doing it now. Maybe after the season, but I can see them trying to use this season to take one more run at the Cup before having to make room and reload.

GoSabres29
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:10 pm 
Garbage Man

The only reason it seems a little to good to be true is because there are a lot of players who are better than Pominville who make less money. Roy for example. Better then Pominville consistently, makes only 4m as opposed to 5.3. Pittsburgh probably doesn't want him because he is a center, just using him as an example.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:14 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Squanto wrote:
That's true, but I can't see them doing it now. Maybe after the season, but I can see them trying to use this season to take one more run at the Cup before having to make room and reload.

This is valid... Im not sure the benefit of doing it at the dead line.... opposed to at seasons end... Im not sure if a Pomminville + whatever is going to help them more than Malkin would for the play-offs... the only reason I could see them doing it now is because Malkin has been a bit banged up with an injury .... so is a healthy Pomminville + whatever greater than a banged up Malkin?... would be the first time we traded for an injured player... lol

E X C E L L E N C E

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next