It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:17 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

GoSabres29 wrote:
The only reason it seems a little to good to be true is because there are a lot of players who are better than Pominville who make less money. Roy for example. Better then Pominville consistently, makes only 4m as opposed to 5.3. Pittsburgh probably doesn't want him because he is a center, just using him as an example.

But its a bad example... Pittsburgh is ok at C... thats the issue... they need help on the wings... and who are our current top producing wingers... Pomminville, Stafford, Ennis... out of those, who has been the most complete, consistent, highest scoring... Pomminville... Yes you could throw TV in that group but he makes more than Pomminville... and I dont really want to move TV... I wanna see Malkin, TV, Ennis!

E X C E L L E N C E

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:19 pm 
Star Sniper

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
GoSabres29 wrote:
Like I said, I think Pominville would be great on Pittsburgh. He's a ppg player if he has someone feeding him the puck, and Crosby definitely would. Staal would replace Malkin as 2nd line center and they would free up a little cap space to make another aquisistion. Looking at it from the Pens side, I don't think it looks bad at all. I don't think I'm stretching it that much when I say its a win-win.

XPens, where do the Pens need help? How's their defense?

Wingers.

Crosby, Staal, Letestu, Jeffries, Talbot, Rupp, and several of their top prospects all play center.

Their defense is rock solid right now and it doesn't even include their top prospect Despres who is probably going to be a top 4 blue liner someday. He's probably good enough to crack their top 4 right now last I seen him play.

Their wingers are terribly average. Kunitz is a great all around winger but other than that you got no viable scoring punch. They really do suck at drafting and can't ever find decent wingers. Even Tangradi who they traded for seems like a bust (he's playing tonight so judge for yourself). They used to have Malone, Sykora, and Hossa on the wings and Crosby and Malkin thrived. Crosby is so unthinkably machine like with his motivation that you don't even really need wingers for him anymore, he seems to just go harder without the help. Staal on the other hand needs a lot of help if he's ever going to put up the 70+ points they think he can.

So when they trade Malkin they are going to want 2 wingers, one immediately of course and one very soon on the horizon. I think the Sabres could put together a very nice package to woo Malkin away, but I seriously don't think that would happen until the summer. I Hope Malkin continues to have this abysmal season and the Pens get bumped in the 1st or 2nd round again. Shero would have feel very good about trading him this summer if that happens. It wont happen at the deadline, I would be shocked.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:24 pm 
Page Side

So do you think a Pominville package or Vanek would be appealing to them?

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:32 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

don't the pens have a lot of injuries up the middle right now, crosby, letestu. Malkin's nagging knee injury.
plus if you are thinking pomminville he has to want to go to pittsburgh because of his NMC. He could say i don't want to go to Pittsburgh. His NMC is 8 teams he doesn't want to go to.
http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=376

That being said i would be interested to see what malkin could do here in buffalo.

Last edited by psychemedisabrefan on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoSabres29
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:33 pm 
Garbage Man

Squanto wrote:
That's true, but I can't see them doing it now. Maybe after the season, but I can see them trying to use this season to take one more run at the Cup before having to make room and reload.

I understand what you're saying, but I honestly don't think they would be getting worse. And even if you do think they're getting worse (or less good), you can still say that they will free up 2 mil plus whatever little room they currently have to make another move for a solid depth playeri

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:34 pm 
Star Sniper

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
So do you think a Pominville package or Vanek would be appealing to them?

I think Vanek would absolutely feast on their power play, and Crosby is even more creative with a righty shot on his wing. He used to make Colby Armstrong a point per game player for like 50 games and all he did was wait in the weeds late on the play. Can you imagine what Vanek would do in that role? Crosby+Kunitz+Vanek would become a legendary line, terrifying.

The cons are his lofty salary and age. Those things could be counter weighted with a nice prospect/pick package like Kassian and a 1st.

Pomminville is a tougher sell, because they don't need his services on the power play as much as a Vaneks. Pomms can work the point just fine, but they already got a couple of right shot point men and they don't need a third. Pomms isn't a net crashing type either so other than being a great compliment to Staal and having a lower cap hit than Vanek, there isn't as much upside.

There are more than a few teams that will want Malkin, but the Sabres have some incredibly good players that seem to fit like a glove into the Penguins puzzle. It could happen.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:38 pm 
Page Side

Good to know.

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:39 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

i don't think they would trade kassian as he is part of the Sabres getting bigger unless there are more trades up pegula's sleeves, say going after a david backes or dustin brown. though i do understand the sabres need that enticing bait that a kassian brings.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:45 pm 
Star Sniper

http://www.1059thex.com/main.html

call this radio station right now and ask mark Madden what he thinks about it. :)

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:49 pm 
Cup Winner

DO IT PEGULA!!!!!!!!

Wait, he not owner yet.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:21 pm 
Penalty Killer

I'm trying, really I am, but this isn't making a lot of sense to me. If Malkin is such a difficult personality, to touchy, etc, why would we want him? A lousy work ethic? Is he also a locker room cancer? On the other side, why would we want to give them Vanek and thus a truly terrifying line? Wouldn't Malkin like to play with Vanek? Do we want to improve Pittsburgh THAT MUCH??

I guess I'm not much of a trader at heart. LOL

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:39 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Nuthatch wrote:
I'm trying, really I am, but this isn't making a lot of sense to me. If Malkin is such a difficult personality, to touchy, etc, why would we want him? A lousy work ethic? Is he also a locker room cancer? On the other side, why would we want to give them Vanek and thus a truly terrifying line? Wouldn't Malkin like to play with Vanek? Do we want to improve Pittsburgh THAT MUCH??

Thats why we need the old Darcy back... he has fleeced some teams back in the day... Come on Darcy, shake off that Quinn funk and lets get moving and shaking... wheeling and dealing... breaking necks and cashing checks...

E X C E L L E N C E

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:52 pm 
Superstar Goalie

gr8daygo wrote:
Thats why we need the old Darcy back... he has fleeced some teams back in the day... Come on Darcy, shake off that Quinn funk and lets get moving and shaking... wheeling and dealing... breaking necks and cashing checks...

:lol:

Ryan911T
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:02 pm 
resident car guy

My guess is that Vanek is on the list of players that can't be traded that Galisano mentioned.

Twitter - @Ryan911T - @MotoExposure

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:07 pm 
Page Side

Ryan911T wrote:
My guess is that Vanek is on the list of players that can't be traded that Galisano mentioned.

Realistically, that's contractually.

I'm sure Pegula and Regier are in constant contact and if a deal like that could be worked out, there's no doubt in my mind they're present it to him in case he wanted to take it.

daz28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:25 pm 
Star Sniper

Start thinking of deals you wouldn't want to accept, and then you're getting closer. Pominville? Probably not. If they're doing it for cap reasons, forget Pommers. Sekera/Weber? Nah, as I recall, they have plenty of D under contract for next year, and just over-spent on f/a acquisitions. They don't/won't need defensemen. As already said, they want wingers, but even better than a winger is a C who can play left wing(cuz he wins draws when the C is booted). That's Derek Roy right there. On top of that, they'll want a top prospect(probably Kassian), and maybe upto 2 1st rounders. Hell, they may even want another roster player(Stafford?). Geno is gonna get more than Kovie or Pronger drew, and a LOT of teams would throw good/great packages at them. Soooo...

Would you be willing to do Roy, Kassian, and 2 1st rounders, or...
Roy, Kassian, Stafford, and a 1st and a 3rd?

You can say I'm going overboard, but you gotta remember there's up to 28 other teams trying to out do you, and Geno is a young, phenom forward. The only ones who won't be in the running are ones who can't offer cap relief, but they'll still be putting packages together anyways. Not throwing a hat in this ring would be silly for any team.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:29 pm 
Star Sniper

Nuthatch wrote:

I haven't heard anything that would suggest that he is anything even remotely resembling a "cancer" of any kind. In fact he recently won the prestigious Dapper Dan award which to the best of my knowledge has never been awarded to a jerk like a Ben Roethlisberger for example (although that might change if he stays frosty). On the contrary his teammates love him and they do nothing but joke around all the time. He's got a great sense of humor with a cold dead pan delivery. Like when he ripped on Talbot's hands during a press conference and then the next night set him up for one of his 2 goals in game 7 of the SCF.

My brother spots him at a $100/plate sushi place with 2 hot Russian blond chicks but other than that you don't ever hear of him (good or bad) around town. If he's involved with the community he does so behind the scenes like Joe Sakic used to do. He was a teary eyed when accepting his DD award, seemed sincere.

No trade is without risk, I am concerned about it too. But thinking about it in the "Now" as Eckhard Tolle would have me do, I can say that the Sabres would be MUCH BETTER off with a 24 year old super star than without.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:02 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

daz28 wrote:
Start thinking of deals you wouldn't want to accept, and then you're getting closer. Pominville? Probably not. If they're doing it for cap reasons, forget Pommers. Sekera/Weber? Nah, as I recall, they have plenty of D under contract for next year, and just over-spent on f/a acquisitions. They don't/won't need defensemen. As already said, they want wingers, but even better than a winger is a C who can play left wing(cuz he wins draws when the C is booted). That's Derek Roy right there. On top of that, they'll want a top prospect(probably Kassian), and maybe upto 2 1st rounders. Hell, they may even want another roster player(Stafford?). Geno is gonna get more than Kovie or Pronger drew, and a LOT of teams would throw good/great packages at them. Soooo...

Would you be willing to do Roy, Kassian, and 2 1st rounders, or...
Roy, Kassian, Stafford, and a 1st and a 3rd?

You can say I'm going overboard, but you gotta remember there's up to 28 other teams trying to out do you, and Geno is a young, phenom forward. The only ones who won't be in the running are ones who can't offer cap relief, but they'll still be putting packages together anyways. Not throwing a hat in this ring would be silly for any team.

I really do not want to give up Kassian... I like what he can bring... or Ennis or Myers or Foligno (spelling) and obviously Miller.... other than that... start putting it together... BUT who do you replace and go after.... example... you give Roy up... add Malkin...

Now you have
Malkin
Timmy
Adam
Goose
Cody

Down the middle... Timmy is probably not coming back... Are you ok with Adam and/or Goose as the 2/3 C.... or who do you add? what do you do with the line up after you give up talent for Malkin.....

E X C E L L E N C E

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:08 am 
Franchise Defenseman

I imagine the package would be something like Pominville, Kassian, 1st, + something else. IMHO, it would be worth it.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:55 am 
Garbage Man

Make the move, win-win for both teams.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next