It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Sabresfansince1980
 Post subject: Snippet from ESPN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:38 am 
Star Sniper

Moving on, I mentioned the Sabres losing at home to the rival Leafs -- that one hurt. But the Sabres are still only two points out with two games in hand on most of the competition, and judging from their play over the past month, they are still the best club among those bubble teams. I texted Sabres GM Darcy Regier yesterday and asked him if his team's run has changed his stance for Feb. 28.

"It does a little. But not looking for rentals, prefer long-term view,'' Regier texted back.

Burnside: The Sabres have never been known as a "go for it" team, especially around the deadline. The team's conservative approach to personnel may have been why there has been such unrest in Queen City the past couple of seasons. Despite new ownership waiting in the wings, I doubt the Sabres will change their identity in the next week and a half.

Sabretooth
 Post subject: Re: Snippet from ESPN
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:40 am 
Garbage Man

Regier knows how to express correct thoughts via text messaging. Good though processing and use of technology, buddy.

This is not the year to shop for rental players.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:45 am 
Star Sniper

I absolutely HATE trading for rental players. Unless you have everything in place except one spot on the roster, and you can fill it with a great player for a legit Cup run, rentals are a complete waste. Buffalo has thrown away several 2nd rd picks the last few years for zero return. Regardless of Pegula, I don't expect anything special to happen until the summer. A few UFAs will be sold off and that's it. There is no solution at center before the summer, and even then it looks pretty grim knowing that Richards will go to a big market and a huge drop off after him.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:47 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Indeed.

If you go back through the last 15 years or so, there hasn't been very many rental players that had significant impact on their new teams.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:59 am 
Page Side

Just the other day, Darcy went on HNIC and said that they'd be very active at the trade deadline.

But define "very active." I'll believe it when I see it.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:06 am 
Garbage Man

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
Just the other day, Darcy went on HNIC and said that they'd be very active at the trade deadline.

Very active: A status that involves making moves that involves more than two roster players and a top-round draft pick for a rental player and mid-round draft picks, usually acquiring long term roster players who will help the Sabres win mulitple Stanley Cup championships.

Example:
Gilmour and Dumont for Grosek
Gratton and draft pick (Roy) for Sarich, Holzinger, Primeau, and draft pick

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:17 pm 
Star Sniper

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
Moving on, I mentioned the Sabres losing at home to the rival Leafs -- that one hurt. But the Sabres are still only two points out with two games in hand on most of the competition, and judging from their play over the past month, they are still the best club among those bubble teams. I texted Sabres GM Darcy Regier yesterday and asked him if his team's run has changed his stance for Feb. 28.

"It does a little. But not looking for rentals, prefer long-term view,'' Regier texted back.

Burnside: The Sabres have never been known as a "go for it" team, especially around the deadline. The team's conservative approach to personnel may have been why there has been such unrest in Queen City the past couple of seasons. Despite new ownership waiting in the wings, I doubt the Sabres will change their identity in the next week and a half.

YAWN How exciting,...hold on I gotta run out and buy some more tickets for this home stand...

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:24 pm 
Garbage Man

X-pensfan wrote:
Sabresfansince1980 wrote:

YAWN How exciting,...hold on I gotta run out and buy some more tickets for this home stand...

The Sabres go on a nationwide tour after the homestand for about eight games.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:33 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Sabretooth wrote:
PuckSniperPensel wrote:

Very active: A status that involves making moves that involves more than two roster players and a top-round draft pick for a rental player and mid-round draft picks, usually acquiring long term roster players who will help the Sabres win mulitple Stanley Cup championships.

Example:
Gilmour and Dumont for Grosek
Gratton and draft pick (Roy) for Sarich, Holzinger, Primeau, and draft pick

I still loved the Gilmour pick up... he gave us a few good seasons as well... As for rentals who have kinda worked out, Zubrus (spelling) and Joey Juno wasn't a bad addition and wasn't he brought in the same year as Dougy?

I do agree, go after the longer term answers, if you can find them... Weiss... I still like that call, depending on what we'd have to give up...

And I still say move Timmy for a first... why not....

E X C E L L E N C E

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:59 am 
Garbage Man

After watching Pominville suck last night, I will trade his ass first with Connolly to Florida.

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:24 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

There are scouts from 14 teams at the Leafs-Sens game tonight. No scouts from Buffalo, though...

SeveredLegionair
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:10 pm 
7th Defenseman

or 13 OTHER teams.. i wouldn't worry about it to much..

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:57 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

SeveredLegionair wrote:

I'm sick of feeling like there's a big party going on and we're missing it. I know it's a dumb feeling to have, but I do! I can't help but feel like Darcy is sitting back and scoffing at all of these "kneejerk" deals, and really believes that we'll be better off with staying the course with our "core."

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:14 pm 
Garbage Man

Timbo Slice wrote:
There are scouts from 14 teams at the Leafs-Sens game tonight. No scouts from Buffalo, though...

I doubt they have anything to offer us anyway.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:15 pm 
Garbage Man

Timbo Slice wrote:
SeveredLegionair wrote:

I'm sick of feeling like there's a big party going on and we're missing it. I know it's a dumb feeling to have, but I do! I can't help but feel like Darcy is sitting back and scoffing at all of these "kneejerk" deals, and really believes that we'll be better off with staying the course with our "core."

Define core. It does not consist of underachievers.

Darcy needs to start making moves. Today, he earned a failing grade for doing nothing.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:32 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

PuckSniperPensel wrote:

He will probably have his phone ringing off the hook, could make a deal or two and be happy. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it works.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.