It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
gr8daygo
 Post subject: The Center Question?!?!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:54 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 2265
I put this in the trade deadline thread... But I'd like to focus just on the C position. It is of my opinion that we are currently fairly weak at C.

Current:
Timmy-UFA-playing better as of late, but still more bone headed plays than solid play, time to go

Neids - Centering TV and Staff a bit last night, thats kinda funny in a sad way...

Goose - Decent face off guy, meh other than that

Cody - fine for a 4th/3rd line cat, no problems with his game

Roy - hurt, still think he is a better No.2 than 1....

In the System -

Adam, not ready just yet, like the size, should be the 3rd line C next year, if progression allows

Byron, fits in perfect with our light weights, I honestly have liked how he has played... just needs a bit more ass... and hope it doesn't hurt is speed/agility, as with Adam, not sure if he is ready just yet...


QUESTION:

Are there any first/second line centers rumored to be on the trade market?
- If so Who?
-What do you think it would take to get them?

Are there any 3rd line C that are buried on a team that would be a solid second line C rumored to be on the trade market?
-If so Who?
- What do you think it would take to get them?

_________________
Belief - Commitment - Character - Discipline - Trust

E X C E L L E N C E


Top
 Profile  
 
gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:06 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 2265
Are there any first/second line centers rumored to be on the trade market?

Are there any 3rd line C that are buried on a team that would be a solid second line C rumored to be on the trade market?



Florida is so poorly managed that I would not even be surprised if Mr. Regier pulled the wool over their eyes and bartered a deal that would rival the Gratton/Briere trade that made the Sabres a Cup favorite so long ago. Don't be surprised if you see something like Byron and a 1st rounder for Weiss. I know, I know, "OMGZ A FURST ROUNDER!!!1". Trust me, that's a steal for Buffalo, and nothing against Byron who is a fine hockey player.



Id like that... not overly worried about the pick... but would you in turn try and get a first for Timmy and bring up adam for the remainder of the year? May not work out for this year but...\

Weiss
Roy
Goose/Adam
Cody

In 2011/12 would make me feel a little better... and you still hold a first...


---Just to keep the C discussion together... thanks X pens... like the idea

_________________
Belief - Commitment - Character - Discipline - Trust

E X C E L L E N C E


Top
 Profile  
 
Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:17 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:14 pm
Posts: 2708
It will take much more than that for Weiss, believe me. Adam + 1st, if not more.

If we can get a 1st for Timmy, then hell yeah. He probably won't get that return, but I still wouldn't mind dealing him and bringing up Adam, as long as we also make a deal for #2B/#3 Center.


Top
 Profile  
 
X-pensfan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:19 pm 
Offline
Star Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:31 am
Posts: 3668
Location: Pittsburgh
Well I hate to be so repetitive but I will say that Connolly is about 60% more productive this season on home ice, so that is certainly something everybody should be weary of, especially management. I mean it's great and all of that, but right after the deadline the Sabres set out on a 7 game road trip that could make or break their season. Something to think about.


Weiss can be had simply because Florida just isn't very good at negotiations. Just my opinion, but I think their management team wouldn't know a good thing if she sat on their face and started to wiggle. He is a player that seems hardwired for success in a fast paced Lindy Ruff system, a nice immediate boost to the center position and an outstanding long term solution for the second or 1a line as the case may be.

Arnott is going to be in high demand, and I think his size and experience would help to steady one of the Sabres top lines. He might have another year or more to play, but I would think of him as a rental. Let's not forget how the Bruins physically disrupt the Sabres, adding a 6'5" center with a nice blend of skill and grit could help to draw some of that abuse away from a Ennis.

The Sabres could lead the league in Tyler's if they got Bozak from the Leafs, he's not as repulsive defensively as I once thought. A high asking price considering his youth and potential let alone the fact that it's the Leafs. I only mention him because I have to imagine everybody is available over there.

That's all I got.

_________________
"I love that you know how to do that." Cheryl/Carol/Crystal

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger


Top
 Profile  
 
gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:22 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 2265
Timbo Slice wrote:
It will take much more than that for Weiss, believe me. Adam + 1st, if not more.

If we can get a 1st for Timmy, then hell yeah. He probably won't get that return, but I still wouldn't mind dealing him and bringing up Adam, as long as we also make a deal for #2B/#3 Center.



Yeah, I have no idea on player value... I understand X-pens point, he's just making a reference to Darcy fleecing the Panthers... My guess is if Weiss is a solid 1/2 C he will garner more than a pick and prospect... pick/player/and maybe even prospect...

as for Timmy... some believe based on Versteg (spelling) and Mr. Underwood's deals that Timmy would go for a first... I can buy into that thinking...

_________________
Belief - Commitment - Character - Discipline - Trust

E X C E L L E N C E


Top
 Profile  
 
gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:24 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 2265
How would you compare Arnott to Neids?

_________________
Belief - Commitment - Character - Discipline - Trust

E X C E L L E N C E


Top
 Profile  
 
gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:31 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 2265
As for Cap room...

Weiss- NTC - $3.1 through 2012/13
Arnott - NTC - $4.5 - UFA
Bozak - EL - $3.7 - RFA

Timmy - $4.5 - UFA
Neids - $1.24 - UFA
Rivet - $3.5 - UFA

_________________
Belief - Commitment - Character - Discipline - Trust

E X C E L L E N C E


Top
 Profile  
 
X-pensfan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:40 pm 
Offline
Star Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:31 am
Posts: 3668
Location: Pittsburgh
gr8daygo wrote:
How would you compare Arnott to Neids?



Sometimes I watch Neidermeyer skate and I am impressed, he really still does have all the tools that you want from a shut down center. But if going into camp next season you have Arnott as your 3rd line center, that's a major upgrade over Neidermeyer. If Arnott is your 2nd line center well... that might be a downgrade from Connolly. Arnott has played a lot of hockey, and I don't think the wheels are there anymore.

_________________
"I love that you know how to do that." Cheryl/Carol/Crystal

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger


Top
 Profile  
 
gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:45 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 2265
X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
How would you compare Arnott to Neids?



Sometimes I watch Neidermeyer skate and I am impressed, he really still does have all the tools that you want from a shut down center. But if going into camp next season you have Arnott as your 3rd line center, that's a major upgrade over Neidermeyer. If Arnott is your 2nd line center well... that might be a downgrade from Connolly. Arnott has played a lot of hockey, and I don't think the wheels are there anymore.


But currently, going into this, hopefully, play-off run... Timmy is your first C and Goose/Neids are your 2nd C.... so would it be better to have Arnott as the 2 and Goose as the 3rd? Neids out the door?

How is Arnott on the face-off? Another issue we have had recently... which could be due to the refs continuing to toss our C from the circle...lol

_________________
Belief - Commitment - Character - Discipline - Trust

E X C E L L E N C E


Top
 Profile  
 
X-pensfan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:55 pm 
Offline
Star Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:31 am
Posts: 3668
Location: Pittsburgh
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
How would you compare Arnott to Neids?



Sometimes I watch Neidermeyer skate and I am impressed, he really still does have all the tools that you want from a shut down center. But if going into camp next season you have Arnott as your 3rd line center, that's a major upgrade over Neidermeyer. If Arnott is your 2nd line center well... that might be a downgrade from Connolly. Arnott has played a lot of hockey, and I don't think the wheels are there anymore.


But currently, going into this, hopefully, play-off run... Timmy is your first C and Goose/Neids are your 2nd C.... so would it be better to have Arnott as the 2 and Goose as the 3rd? Neids out the door?

How is Arnott on the face-off? Another issue we have had recently... which could be due to the refs continuing to toss our C from the circle...lol



He's about 7% better than Connolly. He's been solid on draws his whole career. If Neidermeyer is being asked too help out a lot offensively then I fear for teams playoff success this season, let alone getting in.

_________________
"I love that you know how to do that." Cheryl/Carol/Crystal

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger


Top
 Profile  
 
gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:05 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 2265
X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
How would you compare Arnott to Neids?



Sometimes I watch Neidermeyer skate and I am impressed, he really still does have all the tools that you want from a shut down center. But if going into camp next season you have Arnott as your 3rd line center, that's a major upgrade over Neidermeyer. If Arnott is your 2nd line center well... that might be a downgrade from Connolly. Arnott has played a lot of hockey, and I don't think the wheels are there anymore.


But currently, going into this, hopefully, play-off run... Timmy is your first C and Goose/Neids are your 2nd C.... so would it be better to have Arnott as the 2 and Goose as the 3rd? Neids out the door?

How is Arnott on the face-off? Another issue we have had recently... which could be due to the refs continuing to toss our C from the circle...lol



He's about 7% better than Connolly. He's been solid on draws his whole career. If Neidermeyer is being asked too help out a lot offensively then I fear for teams playoff success this season, let alone getting in.



Well I could have swore I saw a lot of Neids centering TV and Staff last night... so what does that tell you about what they are asking out of him? lol.... again, i may have been seeing things, or catching shift changes, but i dont know....

_________________
Belief - Commitment - Character - Discipline - Trust

E X C E L L E N C E


Top
 Profile  
 
Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:07 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:09 pm
Posts: 2876
Location: Portland, Oregano
I'd love to see Weiss in blue and gold, but I severely doubt that'll happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
X-pensfan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:09 pm 
Offline
Star Sniper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:31 am
Posts: 3668
Location: Pittsburgh
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
gr8daygo wrote:
How would you compare Arnott to Neids?



Sometimes I watch Neidermeyer skate and I am impressed, he really still does have all the tools that you want from a shut down center. But if going into camp next season you have Arnott as your 3rd line center, that's a major upgrade over Neidermeyer. If Arnott is your 2nd line center well... that might be a downgrade from Connolly. Arnott has played a lot of hockey, and I don't think the wheels are there anymore.


But currently, going into this, hopefully, play-off run... Timmy is your first C and Goose/Neids are your 2nd C.... so would it be better to have Arnott as the 2 and Goose as the 3rd? Neids out the door?

How is Arnott on the face-off? Another issue we have had recently... which could be due to the refs continuing to toss our C from the circle...lol



He's about 7% better than Connolly. He's been solid on draws his whole career. If Neidermeyer is being asked too help out a lot offensively then I fear for teams playoff success this season, let alone getting in.



Well I could have swore I saw a lot of Neids centering TV and Staff last night... so what does that tell you about what they are asking out of him? lol.... again, i may have been seeing things, or catching shift changes, but i dont know....


Last nights game was not in HD for me, which is why they lost, and also why I can't pick up on numbers too well. From what I gathered he played another uninspired game, he gets knocked off the puck effortlessly and there is zero grit. I expected more grit from him, more passion, not the case.

_________________
"I love that you know how to do that." Cheryl/Carol/Crystal

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger


Top
 Profile  
 
gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:11 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 2265
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
I'd love to see Weiss in blue and gold, but I severely doubt that'll happen.


Im sure we'd have to give up to much.... but its fun to toss around ideas...

_________________
Belief - Commitment - Character - Discipline - Trust

E X C E L L E N C E


Top
 Profile  
 
CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:33 pm 
Offline
Captain Dynasty
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:56 pm
Posts: 16859
I would see about trading Roy and picks/prospects to Ottawa for Spezza.

_________________
Proud LGBTQQ Individual


Top
 Profile  
 
ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:45 pm 
Offline
Captain Dynasty
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 15390
Location: michigan
maybe forsberg will make another comeback with us.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
gr8daygo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:47 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:56 pm
Posts: 2265
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
I would see about trading Roy and picks/prospects to Ottawa for Spezza.



Spezza - NTC - only 27 - 7 mill per - through 13/14... I like the long term solution... 7mill should be doable. Great size... would be a great addition! Even if we have to give up Roy....

Can Roy be traded do to injury?

Would the Sens move him?

Also, what do you do at number 2 C? If you move Timmy and/or for next season...

_________________
Belief - Commitment - Character - Discipline - Trust

E X C E L L E N C E


Top
 Profile  
 
Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:25 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:14 pm
Posts: 2708
Spezza is NOT getting moved.


Top
 Profile  
 
Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:28 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:14 pm
Posts: 2708
gr8daygo wrote:
Timbo Slice wrote:
It will take much more than that for Weiss, believe me. Adam + 1st, if not more.

If we can get a 1st for Timmy, then hell yeah. He probably won't get that return, but I still wouldn't mind dealing him and bringing up Adam, as long as we also make a deal for #2B/#3 Center.



Yeah, I have no idea on player value... I understand X-pens point, he's just making a reference to Darcy fleecing the Panthers... My guess is if Weiss is a solid 1/2 C he will garner more than a pick and prospect... pick/player/and maybe even prospect...

as for Timmy... some believe based on Versteg (spelling) and Mr. Underwood's deals that Timmy would go for a first... I can buy into that thinking...


That's true. Weiss probably would take a roster player, too.

I can't really buy into that. Versteeg is very young, and very talented, and he's already scored over 50 points in a season. Maybe a desperate, contending team would, since their 1st will be a late pick anyway, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:47 pm 
Offline
Captain Dynasty
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:56 pm
Posts: 16859
gr8daygo wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
I would see about trading Roy and picks/prospects to Ottawa for Spezza.



Spezza - NTC - only 27 - 7 mill per - through 13/14... I like the long term solution... 7mill should be doable. Great size... would be a great addition! Even if we have to give up Roy....

Can Roy be traded do to injury?

Would the Sens move him?

Also, what do you do at number 2 C? If you move Timmy and/or for next season...


I think with Spezza as the top center, you can afford a bit of a downgrade for the second line center. I would look at Colin Wilson from Nashville. 13g, 25a so far this season I think. He's 6-1, 219 pounds, and he's only 21 years old.

I think it's extremely unlikely that Spezza be moved, but I think it could happen at the right price. In that deal they'd get Roy, same age, a slight downgrade in production, a big cost break in salary and whatever else we'd include.

_________________
Proud LGBTQQ Individual


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron