It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

gr8daygo
 Post subject: Re: Paul Stastny
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

mechaphil wrote:
Paul Stastny is the kind of center Vanek would thrive with. He's exactly what this team could use. Therefore, COL knows they can ask for a king's ransom if the Sabres come calling.

But whats a kings ransom in hockey terms?

Player
Player
Prospect
Pick

I think any solid #1 C, which the team desperately needs, is going to cost bit... but are you better off paying the ransom for Stastny... or trying to go after Weiss (just bantered about around here)... or trying to go after an injured Malkin, in hopes that he makes a full recovery, and the price maybe a bit lower due to the injury...this was just in my head, but with the Pittsburgh ties some of the new execs have, did they leave on good terms? Could there be any thoughts there?

Its clear to me the biggest need on the team is a #1 C... has been for a while...

I am very curious to see if they make any moves and what those might look like... here's hoping Darcy hasn't lost some of that old mojo I remember from back in the day....

E X C E L L E N C E

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:29 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

dbsabres06 wrote:
Timbo Slice wrote:
dbsabres06 wrote:
Timbo Slice wrote:
Oh Lord.... guys, are you serious...? Montador and a 1st? Weber and a 2nd? That isn't even remotely close to getting Stastny. And the fact that some of you are rejecting it is ridiculous. I love Weber but I would trade ten Webers for one Stastny.

nope.

i think weber, monty and a 1st would be sort of reasonable, as long as we bank on getting a defenseman back via free agency. which i'm sure we will. i still don't think the avs would take that though.

I think we would have to have a better player than Weber be the centerpiece of the deal, is the problem. Weber is most likely a future solid, physical, strong #3 defenseman. Montador is having a career year, and at the moment he's a top 4 defenseman. A 1st would make it better. We'd still have to add in Adam, and maybe more, though.

i'm refusing to do much research, but roy could be a tempting centrepiece with his miraculous contract. the avs also need some defensive defense prospects in their system, i think. stastny is a great asset for more important reasons than roy is, though. the intangibles. the olympic experience. the toothless hockey grin. it would take that king's ransom to pry him away no matter what team comes knocking.

Remember though, if you deal Roy... and bring in Stastny, you would now need a legit #2 C... so who do you go after/ bring in for that roll?

Timmy wont be back and I doubt Neids will...

Stastny
Goose
Adam
Cody

I don't really like that to much...

Stastny
???? -- Weiss? or Malkin -- wow, that would be solid ANNNND unrealistic...lol but fun to dream
Adam/Goose
Goose/Cody

E X C E L L E N C E

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:32 pm 
Star Sniper

You guys have to understand why Colorado wants to potentially trade Stastny. They have five decent centers and want to shed salary. Because of their logjam at C, they feel Stastny's 6.6 mil cap hit is too much and want the room to put elsewhere on the roster. So from their perspective, it's a favor for another team to take his salary, as long as they get a player(s) or picks that fill the holes they have.

It appears, as dbsabres06 said, that they want a d-man and maybe a goalie also. We have Sekera or Weber and Enroth for young and long term options, but they probably wouldn't want a UFA like Montador. They may take Connolly to even out the salary aspect, but only because he's a UFA they don't have to keep. There will have to be differing combinations of picks/prospects depending on the central player in return, but nothing is impossible.

From Colorado's view, I think Connolly, Enroth or Sekera or Weber (I really want to keep Weber though), and a 1st/2nd rd pick would be fair. They are actually dumping a ton of salary after Connolly walks, getting a young roster player for cheap, and a high pick speaks for itself. That's definitely fair, but on a side note, I think Buffalo may target Weiss first. Stastny is the better player though, and would be a great fit with Vanek and Stafford as Phil said.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:38 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
You guys have to understand why Colorado wants to potentially trade Stastny. They have five decent centers and want to shed salary. Because of their logjam at C, they feel Stastny's 6.6 mil cap hit is too much and want the room to put elsewhere on the roster. So from their perspective, it's a favor for another team to take his salary, as long as they get a player(s) or picks that fill the holes they have.

It appears, as dbsabres06 said, that they want a d-man and maybe a goalie also. We have Sekera or Weber and Enroth for young and long term options, but they probably wouldn't want a UFA like Montador. They may take Connolly to even out the salary aspect, but only because he's a UFA they don't have to keep. There will have to be differing combinations of picks/prospects depending on the central player in return, but nothing is impossible.

From Colorado's view, I think Connolly, Enroth or Sekera or Weber (I really want to keep Weber though), and a 1st/2nd rd pick would be fair. They are actually dumping a ton of salary after Connolly walks, getting a young roster player for cheap, and a high pick speaks for itself. That's definately fair, but on a side note, I think Buffalo may target Weiss first. Stastny is the better player though, and would be a great fit with Vanek and Stafford as Phil said.

Id do Connolly, Sekera and a 1st in a heartbeat! AND Id STILL go after Weiss.... lol...

E X C E L L E N C E

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:41 pm 
Star Sniper

Connolly, Sekera, Enroth, and a 2nd rd pick or...Connolly, Sekera or Enroth, and a 1st rd pick. If this fanciful trade were to happen though, I think they'd want Weber instead, but Stastny is probably worth it.

patkane88
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 pm 
Captain Clutch

I would like to Stastny but he cost a lot of money, 6 million is too much for a guy like him

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:51 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Connolly, Sekera, Enroth, and a 2nd rd pick or...Connolly, Sekera or Enroth, and a 1st rd pick. If this fanciful trade were to happen though, I think they'd want Weber instead, but Stastny is probably worth it.

but i REALLY like Weber... i think he is gonna be solid for a long time... Timmy, Sekera, first... Id probably do that...

E X C E L L E N C E

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:09 am 
Star Sniper

Stastny is a guy who averages 77 points per 82 games played, over his 4+ years. He's only 25 and insanely talented. Say goodbye too Stafford/Kassian (to replace Stewart), 1st rounder, and Ennis/Weber.

Getting a player like that takes a lot, perhaps more than the Sabres could offer.

Does anybody have any links or anything too Statstny being shopped? Because that would be fucking insane for them to trade him.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

dbsabres06
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 am 
First Rounder

i'm also in the camp that says stastny is untouchable. again, intangibles.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:08 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Also, his $6.6M salary is gonna be a bitch to move.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:15 am 
Captain Dynasty

we have Pysyk as well if colorado is looking for DMEN, particularly young ones.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:22 am 
Star Sniper

mechaphil wrote:
Also, his $6.6M salary is gonna be a bitch to move.

That's why Colorado should be willing to take a little less in personnel because of the cap relief. But for Buffalo, the 6.6 mil is worth it for the type of player that they really need. Buffalo shouldn't need to move that salary because they'll want/need him until the contract expires.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:22 am 
Star Sniper

X-pens, the link is at the bottom of my first post.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:42 am 
Star Sniper

#1 centers are the hardest thing in the league to get besides franchise defense men. 6.6 is the going rate for a #1 center. So when you get a #1 center, you make it work, you trade other more easily replaceable assets like wingers to keep cap costs low.

They aren't trading him, that's just another random blogger trying to entertain himself.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:51 pm 
Star Sniper

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355005

Maybe dad is going to help a trade happen.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:05 pm 
Star Sniper

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355005

Maybe dad is going to help a trade happen.

Luckily for the Avs he's not the GM.

It's a good trade for the Avs.

Who would say that Johnson for Stewert straight up is a bad deal? Shit that's a huge win for the Avs.

Who would say that a 1st for a 2nd is a bad deal? Same as above.

Shattenkirk for Clement is a bad move, but not bad enough to even out the trade.

It's a win for the Avs, Eric Johnson is a franchise defense man and a damn good one.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:43 pm 
Hart Winner

X-pensfan wrote:
Stastny is a guy who averages 77 points per 82 games played, over his 4+ years. He's only 25 and insanely talented. Say goodbye too Stafford/Kassian (to replace Stewart), 1st rounder, and Ennis/Weber.

Getting a player like that takes a lot, perhaps more than the Sabres could offer.

Does anybody have any links or anything too Statstny being shopped? Because that would be fucking insane for them to trade him.

To Buff:
Stastny

To Col:
Stafford
1st rounder
Ennis

HOLY SHIT. You don't know how trades work.