It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:09 pm 
Star Sniper

Displaced Fan wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:
Right now I hope they start dumping players and freeing up cap space. The deadline should be looked at as a chance to pitch out some of the bloated contracts and a time to let go of our garbage. We won't get much in return but we'd have a clean slate for Darcy to work with and in the off season go fishing. The new owner and a new vision for this team should make it more appealing for players to come to Buffalo as well. Start bringing in some better meat and potatos kind of guys and try to pick up a gem or two. Start laying the foundation for a better team and then next year try and get a couple solid forwards and perhaps a 2nd pairing solid D man and a reliable back up goalie.

Dumping salaries without knowing who you're even going to try and pursue is not a good plan. Take away his first 20 games of the season, and I'll wager that Pomminville has been one of the 5 most productive wingers in the entire league since then. He's a big part of the reason why the Sabres are able to battle for a playoff position today.

When did I mention Pommers?

I thought he was being implied along with your statment, sorry for making that assumption.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:24 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Squanto wrote:
They don't have to dump a ton of salary. Letting all the UFAs walk leaves them $22M to deal with the RFAs and new players. That's a lot of dough. Aside from Stafford, none of the other RFAs are going to command significant raises.

Cap space is fine really.

I agree man but I would like to try and get something in return for the UFA's even if it's a stale pretzel.

Regardless of how the space is made I just hope that we start by building from the bottom up. I would love to see some reliable third liners brought in along with a second or first line defenseman. A reliable back up goalie would be nice and then after we get those things in place start looking at bringing up our younger guys in Portland. After getting things moving look to pick up a high profile forward and get him a talented play maker. With Vanek, Pommers, Staff, a new 1st line play maker and another legit goal socrer, I think we'd be well on our way to being a deep run playoff team. Given time and a combination of good trades, good picks, the team buying in and gelling, and our young guys stepping up I think it could happen. We'll see.