It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

SabresBillsFan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:20 pm 
Power Forward

With Buffalo trying to build for the future what do you do with Connolly, Hecht, Rivet, Butler, Montador, Grier and Niedermayer. Darcy knows you can't build the team at the deadline. So what's the plan now? Is it time to unload this garbage with picks or youngsters and then let the build happen during the draft and thru free agency? What's people's thought. Especially since they should have more money being spent on scouting and video scouting I would unload all those guys get what you can back and start with a clean slate.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:22 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

viewforum.php?f=4

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:34 am 
Garbage Man

The Sabres need to determine who their core players are for the next five years. This means looking beyond serviceable players like Hecht, etc.

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:03 am 
Power Forward

Sabretooth wrote:
The Sabres need to determine who their core players are for the next five years. This means looking beyond serviceable players like Hecht, etc.

Exactly this. We need to identify the guys who will stay and those who are best to leave. It is my opinion and I'm Sure the same as others is that this team needs to be built around miller, and myers. Obviously other players will stay and others will go. But we will see where the next few months take us sabre fans.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:13 am 
Garbage Man

The Vanek-Stafford combination has worked recently. That needs to become a bona fide line with the long awaited center.

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:37 am 
Power Forward

Sabretooth wrote:
The Vanek-Stafford combination has worked recently. That needs to become a bona fide line with the long awaited center.

Statsny!!!! In all seriousness, anything is possible but a solid center will be good. But Roy has gotta be in there somewhere can't forget him.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:38 am 
Garbage Man

Roy, Vanek, and Stafford fill half of our two top lines. Hecht and Pominville are expendable will will need to be exposed to bring relief here.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:35 am 
Star Sniper

I hope this team makes it into the playoffs, wins the Cup, and then tells the fans who didn't believe in them to suck it.

Having said that, I think they should make smart hockey moves, there's no reason to burn it all to the ground.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:04 pm 
Garbage Man

X-pensfan wrote:
...I think they should make smart hockey moves...

What smart moves would you make?

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:34 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Right now I hope they start dumping players and freeing up cap space. The deadline should be looked at as a chance to pitch out some of the bloated contracts and a time to let go of our garbage. We won't get much in return but we'd have a clean slate for Darcy to work with and in the off season go fishing. The new owner and a new vision for this team should make it more appealing for players to come to Buffalo as well. Start bringing in some better meat and potatos kind of guys and try to pick up a gem or two. Start laying the foundation for a better team and then next year try and get a couple solid forwards and perhaps a 2nd pairing solid D man and a reliable back up goalie.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:38 pm 
Garbage Man

We can start by expending Pominville and Hecht. Both have value and made contributions here, but we need to upgrade a body and clear monetary room. Moving both accomplishes that.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:39 pm 
Star Sniper

Sabretooth wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
...I think they should make smart hockey moves...

What smart moves would you make?

Well I would not send any of them to Hell, for starters.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:44 pm 
Garbage Man

Hell does not have an NHL team yet unless you consider Toronto to be that place.

Last edited by Sabretooth on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:44 pm 
Star Sniper

Displaced Fan wrote:
Right now I hope they start dumping players and freeing up cap space. The deadline should be looked at as a chance to pitch out some of the bloated contracts and a time to let go of our garbage. We won't get much in return but we'd have a clean slate for Darcy to work with and in the off season go fishing. The new owner and a new vision for this team should make it more appealing for players to come to Buffalo as well. Start bringing in some better meat and potatos kind of guys and try to pick up a gem or two. Start laying the foundation for a better team and then next year try and get a couple solid forwards and perhaps a 2nd pairing solid D man and a reliable back up goalie.

Dumping salaries without knowing who you're even going to try and pursue is not a good plan. Take away his first 20 games of the season, and I'll wager that Pomminville has been one of the 5 most productive wingers in the entire league since then. He's a big part of the reason why the Sabres are able to battle for a playoff position today.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:45 pm 
Star Sniper

Sabretooth wrote:
Hell does not have an NHL team yet.

They would if you had your way!

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:46 pm 
Garbage Man

How is our depth at right wing in terms of Stafford/Pominville caliber players?

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:47 pm 
Garbage Man

X-pensfan wrote:
Sabretooth wrote:
Hell does not have an NHL team yet.

They would if you had your way!

Maple Leafs have been tapped for relocation to hell.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:55 pm 
Superstar Goalie

X-pensfan wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:

Dumping salaries without knowing who you're even going to try and pursue is not a good plan. Take away his first 20 games of the season, and I'll wager that Pomminville has been one of the 5 most productive wingers in the entire league since then. He's a big part of the reason why the Sabres are able to battle for a playoff position today.

When did I mention Pommers?

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:00 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Displaced Fan wrote:

They don't have to dump a ton of salary. Letting all the UFAs walk leaves them $22M to deal with the RFAs and new players. That's a lot of dough. Aside from Stafford, none of the other RFAs are going to command significant raises.

Cap space is fine really.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:02 pm 
Star Sniper

They can trade away pending UFAs that don't have a future here anyway. We know who those players are. Deadline deals are overpayments, so we should expect a few decent draft picks for some of them. There's no reason not to do this, even if it's a 7th rd pick.

Connolly - at least a 2nd rd pick
Grier and Niedermayer - a 5th-7th rd pick
Montador - a 3rd rd pick
Rivet and Lalime - probably not tradable

I want to keep McCormick.