It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Skyline_BNR34
 Post subject: Re: Butler
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:34 pm 
Cup Winner

I don't like the idea to rid of butler. He's been playing fine and everyone makes some mistakes. His have been maybe the worse mistakes and they get amplified that way.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:54 pm 
Star Sniper

I think I've dedicated the most time and posts this season about improving our d-corps. I didn't have faith in some of these guys developing in a timely manner and possibly not at all...specifically Sekera and Butler. I wanted them traded for whatever draft pick or kept in a 6 or 7 man role. They both have turned a corner since January, although Sekera is still a little shaky defensively, a little more than Butler.

Anyway, instead of two big time FA signings this summer, I think we'd be good with just one legit top-two UFA d-man to replace Montador (hopefully a righty). Then we'd have...

Butler-Myers
Leopold-(Wisniewski?)
Gragnani-Weber
Sekera or Morrisonn (trade please)

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:08 pm 
Power Forward

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
I think I've dedicated the most time and posts this season about improving our d-corps. I didn't have faith in some of these guys developing in a timely manner and possibly not at all...specifically Sekera and Butler. I wanted them traded for whatever draft pick or kept in a 6 or 7 man role. They both have turned a corner since January, although Sekera is still a little shaky defensively, a little more than Butler.

Anyway, instead of two big time FA signings this summer, I think we'd be good with just one legit top-two UFA d-man to replace Montador (hopefully a righty). Then we'd have...

Butler-Myers
Leopold-(Wisniewski?)
Gragnani-Weber
Sekera or Morrisonn (trade please)

I think we should trade Sekera, Morrison no one would take unless we take crap in return. Sekera I think still has good offensive upside kind of like a future Brian Campbell IMO.

What do you think about Eric Brewer?

Los9090
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:17 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Jammerz, you sure love posting whacky trade ideas don't you?

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:55 pm 
Power Forward

Los9090 wrote:
Jammerz, you sure love posting whacky trade ideas don't you?

Umm ok? What part of asking people if they think Darcy should or shouldn't trade Butler whaky ?

There's absolutely no actual trade mentioned bud

Ok? What part of trading Sekera was whaky?

What part of the statment saying no one wants garbage (Morrison) unless your taking there garbage in return whaky?

And me just asking you guys what you guys think about Eric Brewer is not trade idea guy... The guys UFA on July 1st, so I'm just asking what other fans on this board think about him IF we did land him or if you'd go after a guy like Brewer come July 1st.

Yes, I've posted some crazy shit before but all I asked was pretty much IF you'd trade these guys. Didn't mention any names coming in return to us.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:38 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Just because you didn't name a specific exchange doesn't mean the idea isn't wacky.

You're suggesting that Butler should be traded, even though he's been one of the better defenseman on this team for the last 6 weeks, and are somehow surprised that people think it's stupid.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:30 pm 
Star Sniper

Jammerz04 wrote:

Brewer is 32, left-handed, and has never cracked 30 pts in his career. Wisniewski is 27, a righty, has hit 30 pts before and blew up with 51 this season. He also out hits Brewer, but has tamed down his unnecessarily rough play since leaving Anaheim. If Montador leaves Myers is the only RH d-man, and that is a problem that Buffalo struggled with before, and was a factor in signing Rivet.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:35 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Wisniewski taming his previously unhinged-at-times play is what brightened my view of him. I'd definitely take him in blue and gold now that he's matured (although I do LOVE his blowjob stunt)

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:36 pm 
Star Sniper

He's got a great shot that we could use on the PP, especially when he's not in the penalty box and available.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:28 am 
Power Forward

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:

Brewer is 32, left-handed, and has never cracked 30 pts in his career. Wisniewski is 27, a righty, has hit 30 pts before and blew up with 51 this season. He also out hits Brewer, but has tamed down his unnecessarily rough play since leaving Anaheim. If Montador leaves Myers is the only RH d-man, and that is a problem that Buffalo struggled with before, and was a factor in signing Rivet.

Ya that's true on all of your points. He was awesome before the playoffs started but he's kind of hit a rough patch in this series.

I'd definately take Wisniewski over Montador... And looking at his stats probably take him over any other D-Man available on july 1st...

Los9090
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:35 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I remember Barry Melrose saying Eric Brewer would be a Norris trophy winner in his early days. Yeah, SWING and a MISS, so no thanks on that trade.

Los9090
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:36 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Squanto wrote:
Jammerz has a long and sordid history of proposing trade ideas for :

- Players on the team that are playing well, but who have made a recent mistake.
- Other teams superstars

Once you realize that most of his ideas would only happen on Xbox, and even then only rarely, you'll be better off.

+ 1,000

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:20 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I don't know whose gonna go, but we'll probably lose Butler, Monty or Sekera if we want to get a big righty Dman.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:34 pm 
Star Sniper

Can we bury ShaMo in Portland next year? Please??

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:40 am 
Garbage Man

Butler was a seesaw player this season. He improved his plus/minus rating and his shot percentage. Unfortunately, his point production, strong on assists, declined. I think there were some games earlier in the season he sat for bad play. He improved as the season progressed.

Butler's role is to protect the blue line more and minimize point production. I do not mind seeing him assist in setting up plays that results in goals scored.

Butler will have a very good 2011-2012 season. If our prospect defensemen can outplay him, then Butler can be exposed on the trade market to address other areas of concern.