It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:24 pm 
Hart Winner

If anyone says since many teams have won a cup without an elite goalie and so that means that we shouldn't keep a good goalie, then you are crazy. Hello? NJ Devils with Broduer?

You need all pieces of the puzzle to win.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:54 pm 
Cup Winner

The whole reason Carolina won the cup in 06 was because of Cam Ward playing amazingly.

Say he's an average goalie, his stats sure didn't show it in those playoffs and he stole them games, just like he did this entire year.

Niemi, well he may be more-so average, but look at how well he has played this postseason.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:08 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I agree with skyline, most of the average goalies that have won cups, i.e. cam ward, played like elite goalies during their cup runs.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:16 pm 
Mrs. Miller

NYIntensity wrote:
Hasek didn't. If he couldnt, Miller isn't going to.

Horrible analogy and a fallacy. All because Hasek didn't win a Cup with Buffalo over a decade ago doesn't mean that Miller won't either.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:29 am 
Power Forward

they would have won the cup that year with a road cone with a red wings sticker on it in net. all hasek had to be was average, and by hasek standards, he was below average in 01-02.

He didn't play like the old Hasek but comparing him to other goalies around the league he was still one of the best. He also set a career high in wins that year. Good team or bad team he still won a cup with Detroit and he was a one of the reasons why.

jordano
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:03 am 
Two-Way Center

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
I agree with skyline, most of the average goalies that have won cups, i.e. cam ward, played like elite goalies during their cup runs.

We all agree that Ward is not an average goaltender now, right?

#1 Hockey Nation.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:03 pm 
PP Quarterback

no, these guys spend their lives trying to prove cam ward is average.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:07 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Yeah I was totally trolling Skyline. I still think, at a $6.3M cap hit, one of two goaltenders to make more than Miller, that Cam Ward is overpaid.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:22 pm 
Cup Winner

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Yeah I was totally trolling Skyline. I still think, at a $6.3M cap hit, one of two goaltenders to make more than Miller, that Cam Ward is overpaid.

No doubt about that, but he had a great season this year, a huge reason Carolina even had a shot at the playoffs this year.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

YodaMage
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:43 am 
Late-Round Gem

YodaMage wrote:
To ANA: Miller, Hecht, Leopold
To BUF: Koivu, Hiller, Lydman and Maroon

ANA is an aging team and has goal tending like Philly. That said, they have cap room and contracts expiring. In addition, Miller is bound to at some point become impatient..and his fiance is already on the left coast. We are at least a few years away. Hiller is a salary cap trade off and insurance for Enroth. IMHO Enroth has earned a shot at the job and is cap friendly for some years to come. Hecht is just a bad contract and Miller is the bait to get rid of it. I don't think Leopolds game is not eastern conference friendly and he is just too soft to play here....that said Lydman is tough as nails and a great leader who knows the system and works well in it. Koivu only has a few years left...but he adds a leader to the team and depth at Center the teams biggest weakness. His contract is both friendly in terms of cash as well as term. Maroon is a huge body and a great prospect to balance out the Gerbe and Ennis's of the world.

I save about 3.5 against the cap in this move as well. Connolly...GONE. Now I save 8M against the cap. Grier and Neidermayer, gone. 10.7 Saved. Ellis, Butler, Lalime and Rivet off the books...5.3 more or 16M total. Montador gone, 17.5M.

I keep and sign Stafford (but only short term...if not, bye), Gerbe, McCormick, Mancari, Sekera, Weber, Grags, Enroth. this is about a 4.5M give back. So now I'm 13M free. Roster looks like:

C: Koivu, Roy, Gaustad
LW: Ennis, Gerbe, Vanek, McCormick (He is going to have to flip..)
RW: Boyes, Pominville, Stafford, Kaleta
W:Mancari
D: Myers, Lydman, Grags, Weber, Sekera, Morrisonn
G: Enroth, Hiller

I still need a C and some depth at D. My Depth at D? A guy like Andy Greene allowing guys like Brennen to continue to develop in Portland. I think 1.2 lands him without issue. You can make a real run at Brad Richards at this point. He said at one point he'd welcome a trade to Toronto...so here's not against the region and coming east again. If you get serious...he is here for 9M over 5 years or 6 years. And under this, I can afford to do that. So here are MY 2011-2012 Sabres with about 3.5M in cap room. (And knowing that Hiller and Boyes Salary will eventually go to Myers..)

C: Koivu, Roy, Gaustad, Richards
LW: Ennis, Gerbe, Vanek, McCormick (He is going to have to flip..)
RW: Boyes, Pominville, Stafford, Kaleta
W:Mancari
D: Myers, Lydman, Grags, Weber, Sekera, Morrisonn, Greene
G: Enroth, Hiller

the lines at least start to pencil in like:

1: Vanek-Richards-Pominville
2: Ennis-Koivu-Stafford
3: Gerbe-Roy-Boyes
4: McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

So what do you think? Better then this years team?

Just going back at mid season and evaluating. Koivu has 17 points and is a +5, Roy has 23 points and is -7. Leino is also -7 with 10 points. Richards has 28 points skating with NO ONE that could hold Vaneks jock. Miller's head is on the west coast with his old lady.

Yup, I'm still better then the Sabres front office.