It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:37 pm 
More Heart Than Skill

In my opinion, the Sabres aren't going to get all the pieces they are currently lacking in this offseason. They need a defensive stud and a top flight center. I think they're in good shape otherwise. But barring 1 or 2 players (whom they will surely at least attempt to go after), the free agent market doesn't have elite talent available. There may not be enough opportunity out there to get what you need by next season. Sure, you could expedite some of that by giving up (or paying) a bit more, but I doubt they see next season as the make or break year to "go for it".

It's more of a 3-year plan, I think. And whether you count this past season, they've got 2 or 3 years to go. I expect they'll attempt to improve the team where they can while at least pursuing the big name deals. But if that doesn't happen, I don't think it's the end of the world. There may be better deals and players available in a year or two, and you don't want to put yourself in a position where it's hard to go after them because you were so trigger happy in trying to get it all done immediately.

Just my two cents.

Ham

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:50 pm 
Captain Dynasty

my hope is they acquire the pieces to see an improvement. a first round win. i want to see noticeable improvement, but i dont expect to see them win the cup next year.

Yaeger
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:52 pm 
Rink Rat

I agree, but I believe that bare-minimum need to be in the playoffs again, with a bonus being that we make the second round.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:52 pm 
Star Sniper

There are a number of good UFA d-men available this summer, but of course only Richards up front. We can get that 1st pair d-man this summer, and wait until 2012 to find a forward if Richards isn't signed or another player can't be acquired through trade.

In 2012 we have Hecht, Gaustad, Boyes, and Morrisonn coming off the books - a potential of 12 mil in cap space. We'll probably want to keep Gaustad and Boyes, but Hecht and Morrisonn can go without a second thought for what their salaries are. That summer Ennis and Myers are due raises as RFAs (for probably what Hecht and Morrisonn make). Otherwise Semin, Doan, and Sharp are UFAs, and UFA d-men will be Liles, Brad Stuart, Burns, Suter, Kronwall, Tyutin, and a few other quality players.

This summer alone won't provide everything Buffalo needs, but with one or two impact players, and a healthy playoff roster for once, they should still be a serious contender. One more off-season should provide every chance to have a legit Cup contender or even a pre-season favorite.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:58 pm 
Captain Dynasty

know whatll make buffalo a second round team?

christian ehrhoff

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:58 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

You know who else had 3 year plans? Mao Zedong.

Filthy communist.

:D

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:02 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
There are a number of good UFA d-men available this summer, but of course only Richards up front. We can get that 1st pair d-man this summer, and wait until 2012 to find a forward if Richards isn't signed or another player can't be acquired through trade.

In 2012 we have Hecht, Gaustad, Boyes, and Morrisonn coming off the books - a potential of 12 mil in cap space. We'll probably want to keep Gaustad and Boyes, but Hecht and Morrisonn can go without a second thought for what their salaries are. That summer Ennis and Myers are due raises as RFAs (for probably what Hecht and Morrisonn make). Otherwise Semin, Doan, and Sharp are UFAs, and UFA d-men will be Liles, Brad Stuart, Burns, Suter, Kronwall, Tyutin, and a few other quality players.

This summer alone won't provide everything Buffalo needs, but with one or two impact players, and a healthy playoff roster for once, they should still be a serious contender. One more off-season should provide every chance to have a legit Cup contender or even a pre-season favorite.

I don't think there are that many good UFA dmen available. The only guy really on my radar is Jan Hejda from Columbus because he's the only guy racking up near 20 mins a game, which is what we need. Too many 15-17 min guys like Montador and Morrisonn in past seasons.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:05 pm 
PP Quarterback

wisnewski and hannan are the best on the d crop this year.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:13 pm 
Captain Dynasty

PatGreen wrote:

christian ehrhoff

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:08 am 
Garbage Man

The Sabres have had four years to acquire the missing pieces. It is obvious Golisano and Quinn lacked balls and intelligence to acquire that top center and additional stud defensemen. With Pegula in ownership, acquisitions and trades can be made to address our needs.

I am aware of concerns that the pending free agent market, trade market, and draft lacks talent and depth. Does that mean there is no one out there to fill our needs? No, it does not. There are players out there we have not thought of who come to Buffalo and rediscover their careers, or shine for a few seasons.

Return to the spring of 2003. Through March 2004, Darcy Regier pulled off three of his best acquisitions: Daniel Briere, Chris Drury, Mike Grier. Little did we know we would make it to the Eastern Conference finals two straight seasons. Wow, that was a great time!

Darcy Regier, with Pegula's blessings, is free to make moves like that again. He and Ruff knows what players they need, and how soon they are needed to win a Stanley Cup within three years. Whoever the Sabres acquire will need to balance out with our younger players who stepped up significantly this season.

Having patience on our part, we will be excitied by the acquisitions Darcy Regier makes for the Sabres organization. They will be worth the wait.

Let's go Sabres!

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:11 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Van_Da_Man wrote:
You know who else had 3 year plans? Mao Zedong.

Filthy communist.

:D

Those were 5 year plans.

:)

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:58 am 
Superstar Goalie

There are trade possibilities on the horizon though. 3 years sounds about right.

Los9090
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:19 am 
Superstar Goalie

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
PatGreen wrote:

christian ehrhoff

I hope he's on Darcy's wish list with Pegs giving him the green light

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:37 am 
Star Sniper

The only way next year will be the year is if they acquire a great d-man and a great forward AND everybody who comes back plans on being even BETTER then they were this year in every facet of their game.

So...yeah it's unlikely.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:39 am 
Star Sniper

IF you get:

30 goals out of Boyes, Vanek, and Stafford, each.

80 points out of Roy and a center not yet identified, each.

A Norris-ishy season from Myers

A Vezina-ishy season from Miller

Well then I say yes. Yes we can.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Rud
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:52 am 
Superstar Goalie

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
PatGreen wrote:

christian ehrhoff

He's been forgotten due to injuries, but I'd throw Markov in there, too.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:42 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Markov has had his knee reconstructed how many times? Three? Markov can stay faaar away from the Sabres.

Los9090
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:58 pm 
Superstar Goalie

mechaphil wrote:
Markov has had his knee reconstructed how many times? Three? Markov can stay faaar away from the Sabres.

No questioning what he brings to the table...too bad though

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:23 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ya know, how big a step do we feel myers can take next year? right now hes an above average player, but i get the feeling hes ready to become a super star... will he make significant strides in filling that gap next year?

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:15 pm 
Star Sniper

Ehrhoff has missed only 15 games in the last five seasons. Vancouver has had a bunch of d-men get hurt this season, but Ehrhoff isn't one of them. He's played almost every game, logged a ton of ice time, collected 40+ pts the last three seasons, and is a career +74.

He'll be only 29 this summer and would be a great addition for Buffalo. He's one of the several quality d-men that I've been yammering about since December. He's a lefty though, and I'm not sure how the d-corps can manage with only one RH guy in Myers (assuming Montador is gone).

For bigger stay-at-home guys that aren't old...
Hannan
Brewer
Bieksa (a righty that Buffalo really needs without Montador)
Erskine

For puck movers and good PP guys that aren't old...
Ehrhoff (all the skills)
Wisniewski (adds toughness also and is also a righty)
Pitkanen (shaky defensively)
Andy Greene (for a #3 or #4 guy at a good value)