It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:43 pm 
Star Sniper

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367944

They don't seem to put much importance on Buffalo acquiring a top center, but simply adding any top six forward and a top four d-man. I think that no matter what happens Buffalo will be strong next season, assuming the young d-corps is more consistent/productive. For them to go over the top and be a legit Cup contender will require a top center (IMO) that shifts talent into three scoring lines like...

Vanek-XXXXX-Stafford
Ennis-Roy-Pominville
Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes
McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

But even if they can sign a lesser center like Brooks Laich it still provides a better 3rd line as any since 2007. Of course it means nothing if they go in the playoffs with 2-3 players out again. I still would like a top two UFA d-man if Morrisonn can be traded. I'll have hope he gets moved on draft day. Still, the big key is if Gragnani, Sekera, Weber, and Butler can pick up their game.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:00 pm 
Hart Winner

Laich can score somewhere around 50 points. I'd like him.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm 
Star Sniper

BlueandYellow wrote:
Laich can score somewhere around 50 points. I'd like him.

I don't think of him as a big minutes type of guy, but he could add to the committee approach.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:55 pm 
Star Sniper

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:

They don't seem to put much importance on Buffalo acquiring a top center, but simply adding any top six forward and a top four d-man. I think that no matter what happens Buffalo will be strong next season, assuming the young d-corps is more consistent/productive. For them to go over the top and be a legit Cup contender will require a top center (IMO) that shifts talent into three scoring lines like...

Vanek-XXXXX-Stafford
Ennis-Roy-Pominville
Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes
McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

But even if they can sign a lesser center like Brooks Laich it still provides a better 3rd line as any since 2007. Of course it means nothing if they go in the playoffs with 2-3 players out again. I still would like a top two UFA d-man if Morrisonn can be traded. I'll have hope he gets moved on draft day. Still, the big key is if Gragnani, Sekera, Weber, and Butler can pick up their game.

]

Jesus those top 3 lines are soft, they have to make a trade to become a stronger Cup contender.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:20 pm 
Power Forward

X-pensfan wrote:
]

Jesus those top 3 lines are soft, they have to make a trade to become a stronger Cup contender.

Agreed. What do you guys think about Jason Arnott? The guys great in the lockeroom plus great playoff performer and he's a leader all great qualities... Yes he's an older UFA but we need some with a ring and someone who can perform on a more regular basis. I don't mean for Arnott as a 2nd liner or anything but be nice to have a guy like that around come playoff time.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:24 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Jammerz04 wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
]

Agreed. What do you guys think about Jason Arnott? The guys great in the lockeroom plus great playoff performer and he's a leader all great qualities... Yes he's an older UFA but we need some with a ring and someone who can perform on a more regular basis. I don't mean for Arnott as a 2nd liner or anything but be nice to have a guy like that around come playoff time.

I think they need to go after someone younger than Arnott. He'd be an improvement over Neidermeyer, but he'd still be at that type of level IMO. I still want them to make some trade offers for Jason Spezza or another true talent at center.

patkane88
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:39 pm 
Captain Clutch

The only way Buffalo get a top center is if they trade Roy but no one would really want a 5'9 center like him IMO.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

sabresEH
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm 
Garbage Man

patkane88 wrote:
The only way Buffalo get a top center is if they trade Roy but no one would really want a 5'9 center like him IMO.

No one wants a ppg center who's not a liability defensively? The guy got an invite to the Olympics camp for Canada, and I'm pretty sure he captained a Memorial Cup winning team. I'm sure there are a lot of teams who would trade for Roy.

Eh

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:38 pm 
Star Sniper

Agreed, most of teams would want him, especially at his salary.

But trading a ppg center to get another ppg center would be incredibly counter-productive..

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 pm 
Power Forward

patkane88 wrote:

Your beyond crazy saying that no one would want Roy? Other than his set back with the injury he was awesome.

But all in all I'd move Roy down to #2 center. He doesn't really take the cake as a solid "Number centerman." If we don't improve our D or our and find our true #1 center (Plz don't say drury) we will not get the results that we want. Hopefully Darcy works his magic since there are no more financial restraints.

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:23 am 
Garbage Man

sabresEH wrote:
patkane88 wrote:

No one wants a ppg center who's not a liability defensively? The guy got an invite to the Olympics camp for Canada, and I'm pretty sure he captained a Memorial Cup winning team. I'm sure there are a lot of teams who would trade for Roy.

Lots of teams would trade for Roy based on his point production against cap number. And not a liability defensively? We ARE talking about the same Derek Roy here I hope.....nobody gives a shit he played in the Memorial Cup in 2000....they trade for him because of an expiring deal on a player you might pay $4 mil for a season to get you 80 points and thats it.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:20 am 
Garbage Man

HelloMyKneeGrows wrote:
sabresEH wrote:
patkane88 wrote:

Lots of teams would trade for Roy based on his point production against cap number. And not a liability defensively? We ARE talking about the same Derek Roy here I hope.....nobody gives a shit he played in the Memorial Cup in 2000....they trade for him because of an expiring deal on a player you might pay $4 mil for a season to get you 80 points and thats it.

Lots of people give a shit that he played in, captained and won a Memorial Cup. It speaks to his character and leadership qualities, something every GM should take into account before trading for a plyer.

Eh

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:29 am 
More Heart Than Skill

Tough, veteran D-man to stabilize the back end and mentor the younguns? Check.

Now, 1st line center...

Ham

jriv81
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:38 am 
Rink Rat

Agree we need a top line center

........on a different note how would you feel about getting Soupy back? (I know he just got traded to Fla.)

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:48 am 
More Heart Than Skill

jriv81 wrote:
Agree we need a top line center

........on a different note how would you feel about getting Soupy back? (I know he just got traded to Fla.)

I wouldn't want Soupy with that price tag. I loved the guy, and felt he had a unique skill set for the NHL, but I was glad to see them let him walk when he signed that monstrosity of a contract with Chicago. Would I like to see him back on the Sabres? Yes. But I wouldn't want him back when his contract would give them cap nightmares.

Ham