It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Sabresfansince1980
 Post subject: Updated cap situation
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:10 pm 
Star Sniper

After the additions of Kotalik and Regehr, assuming we re-sign McCormick for about an 850k cap hit, and estimating the following cap hits for the RFAs...

Gerbe - 1.25
Sekera - 1.25
Weber - 0.85
Gragnani - 0.85
Enroth - 0.85

That leaves a roster of 12 forwards, 7 d-men, and 2 goalies, with a total cap hit of 57.75 mil. There would be 6.5 mil left to fill up to two additional roster spots. Bury Kotalik in Rochester and it's three roster spots and 9.5 mil. I wouldn't mind having a rookie take Kotalik's spot and offering Brad Richards about 7-8 mil per season. Trade away Morrisonn or bury him too and fill his spot with another rookie for an additonal 1.2 mil in cap space.

SeveredLegionair
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:10 pm 
7th Defenseman

i would much rather find a way to offer Stamkos 9 or 10 million for the next 8 years (cap hit would prolly be less if you structured the contract right) that brad richards.. i just think richards is on the downhill already.. and anyways i think he gets 8m easy anyway.. Buffalo would prolly have to offer 8.5 or 9m anyway to bring him here

SeveredLegionair
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:20 pm 
7th Defenseman

Stamkos - 11m 11m 9m 9m 7m 7m 7m 7m 5m 5m 5m = 11 years 83m and 7.54 million cap hit
at the end of the contract he will be 32 years old

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:26 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Stevie Y has said multiple times he is matching any offer sheet that comes Stamkos' way. I believe him.

At this point, I almost prefer the Sabres make a blockbuster trade for a center instead of handcuffing themselves with Richards' contract.

SeveredLegionair
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:28 pm 
7th Defenseman

Yea.. i'm a dork.... perfect no but its defiantly do-able

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.142m) / Steven Stamkos ($7.540m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
Tyler Ennis ($0.875m) / Derek Roy ($4.000m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Brad Boyes ($4.000m) / Jochen Hecht ($3.525m) / Patrick Kaleta ($0.907m)
Cody McCormick ($0.500m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.300m) / Nathan Gerbe ($1.250m)

DEFENSEMEN
Robyn Regehr ($4.020m) / Jordan Leopold ($3.000m)
Andrej Sekera ($1.250m) / Tyler Myers ($1.300m)
Steve Montador ($1.000m) / Mike Weber ($0.850m)
T.J. Brennan ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m) / Jhonas Enroth ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Tim Kennedy ($0.166m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,052,024; BONUSES: $587,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $3,247,976

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:28 pm 
Page Side

They've got to lock down Myers this summer too. I know that won't affect this season's cap, but we need to keep that in mind for everything following it.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:08 am 
Franchise Defenseman

mechaphil wrote:
Stevie Y has said multiple times he is matching any offer sheet that comes Stamkos' way. I believe him.

At this point, I almost prefer the Sabres make a blockbuster trade for a center instead of handcuffing themselves with Richards' contract.

Totally agree.... so who is out there? Who do you target? The two I can think of, because I simply don't know any better... Stastny (simply from trade deadline rumors).... and Malkin, because I don't think the Pens can afford him after this year... but why would they trade him when he can help them this year and Sid maybe "timmied" .... have to see how sid's eggs re-scramble...

So with my two obvious uninformed attempts at coming up with a name for a 1/2 center... who do you target? which GMs are you calling? and when can you start making those calls?

E X C E L L E N C E

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

If Crosby isn't already practicing on his own, there's no way they'll trade Malkin out of fear 87 won't be ready for the season. I'd take Malkin but his knee being nuked from orbit kinda scares me.

Stastny probably isn't on the block, but if he is it's probably for a franchise goaltender. Sabres could probably pull off Stastny + Pickard for Miller + 2nd round pick (from CGY), but most fans would go into cardiac arrest over that. Otherwise I'd do Stastny + Pickard for Pominville/Ennis + Enroth. Both sides would probably lose their shit over that one, but it benefits both teams.

I can't see Spezza being traded to a divisional rival, so that's outta the question.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:02 am 
Page Side

I'm beginning to wonder if the Sabres were one of the teams who was trying to trade something for Dallas' negotiating rights with Richards.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:17 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

There were some quiet rumors from random people that they did early in June. I don't think those rumors have any merit, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were true.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:19 am 
Franchise Defenseman

I just dont get a good feeling with Richards.... I know he is the best available cat on the open market... but i just dont think i like him... older with a few concussions now and that big azz pay day he is going to want, i just dont like it... Down the road, Id hate to lose guys like Myers, Ennis, Weber, ZAK, etc... because we tossed a safe full of cash at an aging C and are now hand cuffed by his bloated contract... Again, I know pickings are slim... and a 1/2 C doesnt grow on trees... I just don't like RIchards... I much rather trade for a high end 2 ( I have no names)... or a high 3 thats buried and ready to step up and roll with Roy and High End 2 as a 2/2 for our C.... not ideal, but not a detriment to the future of the team.. wait it out a year and see what next years crop of F/A and trades may bring...

Rome wasnt built in a day... neither will the Sabres... I love the D upgrade... and Im sure some other moves will be made... but if we can't pull a TOP C... Id be fine with a small upgrade this year positioning for the future....

E X C E L L E N C E

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:40 pm 
Star Sniper

I don't prefer to pay a 30+ year old guy huge money, but (and I don't have the links to post right now) Stamkos will get matched, Stastny is NOT being traded, and there aren't any other top-notch Cs available. I do like some other UFA centers, but they don't bring the goods like Richards.

Realistically, I expect that Richards will go where he wants and Buffalo won't be able to change that. Buffalo will have to sign or trade for a 2nd tier center and maybe re-sign Connolly as well. That's fine if that's the best option, and it also leaves more cap room for a top two / top four d-man.

One way or another we'll be a better team, and it's been a few seasons since we could be so certain of that.