It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:50 am 
Garbage Man

Acquiring the Flames' second round pick in the 2012 draft leaves me wondering if it can be a viable trade tool.

Several of us would like to see the Stars' Brad Richards suit up as a Sabre. If I want to avoid competing with other teams on Friday to attain his services, I would trade for his rights. How much the Sabres should give up would cost us the 2012 second round pick and a roster body to attain his rights to resign him. Otherwise, we can wait to Friday to make that offer he cannot refuse.

I prefer we do not trade picks away to gain rights to pending UFAs. Instead, we should trade them only to acquire roster players with a year or more remaining on their existing contracts (i.e. Brad Boyes). If the Sabres go this route, who could you see suiting up?

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:55 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

All draft picks are trade bait.

Past that, it has no effect on Richards. He already said he's not going to waive his NTC before July 1st, so talking about trading for his rights is pointless.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:02 am 
Franchise Defenseman

And I honestly dont want Richards... and giving up a pick and the money it will take to sign him hinders the club even more.... yes I know we need a 1/2 center.... but I much rather find a trade that can be pulled off... i know it contradicts my earlier statement, but you find someone who has a year or two left on their current deal, that maybe a bit younger than Richards and you go that route.... I simply do not like Richards....

E X C E L L E N C E

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:33 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

The Best thing you can do to richards right now is butter him up. Regier may not be able to talk to him, but send some of the players to show richards the good of buffalo. maybe make a fan video. show him wine country. Appeal to his interests.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:34 pm 
PP Quarterback

psychemedisabrefan wrote:
The Best thing you can do to richards right now is butter him up. Regier may not be able to talk to him, but send some of the players to show richards the good of buffalo. maybe make a fan video. show him wine country. Appeal to his interests.

Or we could just show him Buffalo for Real...

@TJLuckman550

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:39 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
psychemedisabrefan wrote:

Or we could just show him Buffalo for Real...

that too. But you have to get the interest in the hockey program and city for richards to even give a damn to visit. You could have players go down and visit him and bring him on a tour of the city. Similar to the vikings sending Farve's friends to convince him to come back another season. get richards thinking buffalo then fly him back to buffalo and get him to keep thinking buffalo once his trip ends.