It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

schooner44
 Post subject: Roy vs Richards
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:45 am 
First Rounder

With the signing of Laich in Washington, Brad Richards price tag just went through the roof...its simple supply and demand at this point. I was looking at his numbers for him vs that of Derek Roy and they are very similar. Richards is going to get North of $7 mil per and I have doubts as to whether we are simply upgrading that much if we signed him.

I'm not starting this thread to start a debate but more to gain some insight from people who know more about Richards than I do. I haven't seen him play a lot lately so I can't say that I can offer a fair assessment of Richards. Does he bring something to the table that Roy lacks? Or is what we have in Roy good and we need to go a step up for a top center?

Squanto
 Post subject: Re: Roy vs Richards
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:49 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

schooner44 wrote:
Does he bring something to the table that Roy lacks?

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:50 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

The signing of Brooks Laich in Washington doesn't mean shit - he's a winger who can fill in at center for a few games but shouldn't be forced to play the role full time.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:53 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Richard's price is inflated because he's the only top tier center available in a weak UFA crop. Laich doesn't affect that much at all.

schooner44
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:27 pm 
First Rounder

mechaphil wrote:
The signing of Brooks Laich in Washington doesn't mean shit - he's a winger who can fill in at center for a few games but shouldn't be forced to play the role full time.

Squanto wrote:
Richard's price is inflated because he's the only top tier center available in a weak UFA crop. Laich doesn't affect that much at all.

Any reduction of supply creates greater demand, regardless if that supply is part-time center or not. There are some teams that feel they have an outside chance at Richards but if not, they will go to plan B which would have most likely been Laich. You can't say it doesn't effect it because it absolutely does...its just simple business.

Regardless of that, I asked more about Richards vs Roy and what Richards...the Conn Smythe trophy is a good response. That's the kind of discussion I was looking for.

daz28
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:06 pm 
Star Sniper

mechaphil wrote:

I'd like to add that we already have at least a couple of those guys already, albeit not as tough as Laich. Either way, he's a redundancy in the fact that he's a LW/C, not to mention Boyes is a RW/C too. Pure, natural center or bust! Spezza fills that bill.

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:28 am 
More Heart Than Skill

Is Richards today (and in a couple years from now as well) the same as Richards from his Lightning days? I haven't seen much of him since he went to the West.

Ham

schooner44
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 am 
First Rounder

Hammygoodness wrote:
Is Richards today (and in a couple years from now as well) the same as Richards from his Lightning days? I haven't seen much of him since he went to the West.

Ham

His numbers indicate he is. His last 3+ years in TB totaled 308 GP, 92 G, 199 A, 291 PTS and his last 3+ years in DAL totaled 220 GP, 70 G, 157 A, 227 PTS. His point per game totals are actually better since going to Dallas.

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:53 pm 
PP Quarterback

Squanto wrote:

With the cap going up a bit more than expected, I'm still not sure it puts any teams into the mix for Richards that weren't already in the pot. I just don't think there's going to be the market that people are talking about. I mean sure there will likely be 20 offers, but of them only what maybe 3-4 real offers? Rangers, Toronto, Philly (if their cap room allows), and us? Who else?

Sure, I'm a homer, but it would take more than a million extra a season for me to join that CF of a franchise.

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:42 pm 
PP Quarterback

schooner44 wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

Squanto wrote:

Any reduction of supply creates greater demand, regardless if that supply is part-time center or not. There are some teams that feel they have an outside chance at Richards but if not, they will go to plan B which would have most likely been Laich. You can't say it doesn't effect it because it absolutely does...its just simple business.

Regardless of that, I asked more about Richards vs Roy and what Richards...the Conn Smythe trophy is a good response. That's the kind of discussion I was looking for.

Richards netted a big contract with another team due to his play. Something Roy has yet to do. Thus far either a team hasn't asked, or maybe Darcy hasn't answered?

I'm no expert on Brad Richards by any means, but I would think that he's had better chemistry and point production when paired with the top wingers on his team than Roy has had with Vanek (well since not being 3rd line players).

I looked at the 35 games Roy played last year and I know its not an entirely fair comparison as Ruff flips players to different lines more than a lot of coaches, but I counted only 6 times where Vanek scored and Roy had the primary assist I think 2 other times he got the 2nd assist. On the PP there were six times where Vanek or Roy scored and the other got the primary assist.

Not that this amounts to a hill of beans, just trying to figure out if the lack of chemistry between Vanek and Roy was a bad as we thought it was.