It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

HelloMyKneeGrows
 Post subject: Chances of Moving Hecht?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:15 am 
Garbage Man

If we are looking to free up some cap space for a possible signing of a Richards or a trade for a big time center and a second tier FA signing I think Hecht might be an attractive option to a team looking to come up to the salary floor. First of all his deal pays him $3.5 this year and expires after the season. That gives any team looking to add salary a legit 2nd line/3rd line player with decent defensive abilities and the ability to make other moves after the season due to his expiring deal. I think Hecht's best days are behind him and freeing up his money, and after RFA signings, would leave us with about $11-$11.5 under the cap allowing the possibility of a deal for Richards/1st line center and possibly the return of Montador with room to be serious buyers at the deadline. Thoughts?

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:46 pm 
PP Quarterback

We have 11mil in cap space now with 16 players signed. A full roster consists of 23 players. Even if we are able to move Hecht, I doubt we would be able to sign Richards + 8 players with 14.5mil.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:45 pm 
PP Quarterback

i like Hecht and i think he is undervalued by most of the fan base. 15 goals and 40-50 points is what we got for him, but it's his defense, pk, and play on the wall that makes him worth what he gets. we're a worse team without him (or someone like him).

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:24 pm 
Star Sniper

With the current center depth, and the fact that we've struggled in the playoffs two years in a row without him, he's more valuable than we mostly want to give him credit for. He may actually be a big factor in signing Ehrhoff right now, and with the game in Germany starting next season, I'd feel bad if we traded him.

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:45 pm 
More Heart Than Skill

I don't think he'll be moved anyway. With his inflated contract you'd either have to a) deal him to a team that needs to get to the cap floor, or b) deal him in a package where you're actually giving up value to get his contract off your books.

How many teams are there that still haven't hit the floor? I don't see them making a "losing" trade to get him off the roster.

I think Hecht was underappreciated, but he's lost a step or two in the past couple of years. He used to be a very versatile and effective utility player. He's a liability as often as not now.

Ham

schooner44
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:27 pm 
First Rounder

Hecht isn't as bad as some would like to think. He does a lot of things for this team that he doesn't get credit for. He is a perfect 3rd line Center for our team. The problem is that people see him put on the 2nd line out of necessity and then he doesn't score so they assume he has failed at his job. The issue there is that Hecht is not a 2nd line center anymore than Cody McCormick is a 2nd line winger. If you put someone in a position to fail, they most likely will.

If Hecht's contract was up, I would be all for seeking a replacement but since he's inked for another year, there is no need to buy him out or make a lopsided trade just to unload his salary.

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:13 am 
Garbage Man

schooner44 wrote:
Hecht isn't as bad as some would like to think. He does a lot of things for this team that he doesn't get credit for. He is a perfect 3rd line Center for our team. The problem is that people see him put on the 2nd line out of necessity and then he doesn't score so they assume he has failed at his job. The issue there is that Hecht is not a 2nd line center anymore than Cody McCormick is a 2nd line winger. If you put someone in a position to fail, they most likely will.

If Hecht's contract was up, I would be all for seeking a replacement but since he's inked for another year, there is no need to buy him out or make a lopsided trade just to unload his salary.

If it's going to help get Richards here, there is CERTAINLY a need....