It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

schooner44
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:54 am 
First Rounder

I know its from Hockey buzz.com but it is NOT from Eklund....this is from the Sabres blogger known as Garth who is typically pretty reliable. Just posting what I've seen for others to see.

The Richest will get Richards

"Richards to Buffalo did not seem likely, or plausible to myself and many others UNTIL Mr. Pegula constructed Erhoff's front-loaded contract. 29 other NHL teams stand in awe of Pegula's financial fortitude and sense of urgency to attract and sign the best of the best players. A source told me that Richards places a high premium on a team's goaltending, as he did on Khabibulin in Tampa's Cup winning year in '04. I'm told that Richards holds Hank Lundqvist and Ryan Miller in high regard. Toronto's Reimer has not built a winning resume yet. Leafs will be a long shot. Stay tuned...."
- GARTH

schooner44
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:19 pm 
First Rounder

Quick update from Garth...

Sabres owner Terry Pegula is live, in-person in Mississauga at the offices of Newport Sports right now. He will be making a face to face pitch to Brad Richards.

I've been in face to face chats with pegula and I have to tell you that he is a very charming and humble man. He make eye contact with you when he speaks to you. He's a very persuasive business man who rarely takes no for an answer, just ask Tom Golisano.

Holy Crap!

This could happen for the Sabres!

Stay tuned..........

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:29 pm 
Hart Winner

I don't know, guys. Richards doesn't seem like the answer. He's 31, so not a long term answer, he is injury prone I think, and he also only really scores 70 points a season... Is he worth 7-8m?

schooner44
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:36 pm 
First Rounder

BlueandYellow wrote:
I don't know, guys. Richards doesn't seem like the answer. He's 31, so not a long term answer, he is injury prone I think, and he also only really scores 70 points a season... Is he worth 7-8m?

I'm just posting what I see. I prefer a trade for Stastny or Spezza rather than signing Richards but to say he is injury prone is just wrong. He's basically had one injury in his entire career and it happen to be last season. Also, his career point per game average is .974 which is pretty damn good over the length of his career.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:38 pm 
Superstar Goalie

schooner44 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

I'm just posting what I see. I prefer a trade for Stastny or Spezza rather than signing Richards but to say he is injury prone is just wrong. He's basically had one injury in his entire career and it happen to be last season. Also, his career point per game average is .974 which is pretty damn good over the length of his career.

I agreem I like Stastny. I may be a bit biased since I live in colorado but he's who I'm hoping for.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:39 pm 
Hart Winner

GP last season: 72
GP in 2008-2009:56
GP 2007-2008: 68

Idk, he's gotten injured every year the past 3 years it looks like

schooner44
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:19 pm 
First Rounder

BlueandYellow wrote:

The one injury I was referring to was not last year but was 08-09...my bad. The 07-08 season you have listed only are the games he played for TB. He was traded mid-season and also played 12 games with Dallas that year.

Bottom line is that he's been in the league for 10 years which is a max number of 820 games. He's played in 772 of those...I would hardly call that injury-prone.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:24 pm 
Hart Winner

schooner44 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

The one injury I was referring to was not last year but was 08-09...my bad. The 07-08 season you have listed only are the games he played for TB. He was traded mid-season and also played 12 games with Dallas that year.

Bottom line is that he's been in the league for 10 years which is a max number of 820 games. He's played in 772 of those...I would hardly call that injury-prone.

That year he played 62 games with the Lightning and 12 games with the Stars. That is a total of 74 games. He had a minor injury.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm 
Star Sniper

Well hardly anyone plays all 82 games every season. Playing about 74-76 plus is a "full season" IMO.

I would also like Stastny. I think I started a thread a few months back, but everything I read lately says that Colorado is not going to trade him.

As for Garth...not that I trust him more than anyone else, but I've read about the same thing. Richards is big on ownership, big an a top goalie, which ultimately translates to the other big thing - a legit Cup contender. If I were Richards, I would only consider Philly, NYR, and Buffalo.

All of Philly's trades would be a little unsettling to me, wondering if they'll have a long adjustment period.

NYR has a some top line players all over the ice, and of course Lundqvist, but their depth is very questionable with little more cap room to do anything about it right now after a Richards contract.

Buffalo hasn't traded any center pieces away like Philly, already has Miller and also good depth, beside the big new players just added, and of course the best ownership situation possible.

The only thing that could put Buffalo behind is if Richards is all about the big city stage. For once, Buffalo has the upper hand in every other category.

schooner44
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:42 pm 
First Rounder

BlueandYellow wrote:
schooner44 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

That year he played 62 games with the Lightning and 12 games with the Stars. That is a total of 74 games. He had a minor injury.

Having a minor injury is not the same as injury prone. Tim Connolly has been in the NHL for 11 seasons and missed 275 games out of 902 versus Richards missing 48 games out of 820. Connolly is injury prone, Brad Richards is not.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:44 pm 
Superstar Goalie

schooner44 wrote:
Having a minor injury is not the same as injury prone. Tim Connolly has been in the NHL for 11 seasons and missed 275 games out of 902 versus Richards missing 48 games out of 820. Connolly is injury prone, Brad Richards is not.

Wait....if you miss 48 games out of 820 they're injury prone? :think:

schooner44
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:46 pm 
First Rounder

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
The only thing that could put Buffalo behind is if Richards is all about the big city stage. For once, Buffalo has the upper hand in every other category.

I've heard that Richards has stated that he doesn't want the big media attention like he would get in NY so that could be something else that's in favor of Buffalo. My only concern with us not signing Richards as that we have to find a trade partner for a top center which could be a daunting task. At least with Richards as a FA, we know we get him if he agrees.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:05 pm 
Star Sniper

If not Richards, I like Pat Green's opinion on Jason Arnott, but only for a 1-2 year contract at 4 mil or less, as a temporary fix. Otherwise, if Richards goes to NYR Dubinsky might be available for an offer sheet.

schooner44
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:17 pm 
First Rounder

Latest report from TSN says that the Rangers will have a chance to meet with Richards and his agent tomorrow after all the other teams have presented their offers. This tells me one thing and one thing only...Richards wants to go to NY and he was wasting other teams' time today just to drive the price up for NYR who he knows will meet/beat anyone else's offer. That's just bad business.

Now, I'm not upset that we likely won't get him. I'll actually be happy if he ends up getting something like $8.5-$9 mil per because he is just not that good. Time to move onto efforts to strike a deal for Stastny or Spezza. I see Colorado as the likely suitor--they need to hit the cap floor and we can send them some contracts to help get them there along with Sekera (to replace Liles) and probably a high pick.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:19 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Garth is completely unreliable. His source is that he used to go drinking with Jay McKee.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:21 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

The report about the Rangers having the last shot has been sort of shot down by a TSN reporter on site at Richard's agent offices. He's there and been talking to people, and hadn't heard that at all.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:23 pm 
PP Quarterback

mechaphil wrote:
Garth is completely unreliable. His source is that he used to go drinking with Jay McKee.

JEALOUS

schooner44
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:27 pm 
First Rounder

Squanto wrote:
The report about the Rangers having the last shot has been sort of shot down by a TSN reporter on site at Richard's agent offices. He's there and been talking to people, and hadn't heard that at all.

It was reported by TSN's Gord Miller that Larry Brooks of the NY Post was saying this. Who is now disputing it on TSN? I typically put reports out of TSN as factual so this would surprise me if they jumped the gun and reported it early.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:34 pm 
Superstar Goalie

schooner44 wrote:
Squanto wrote:

It was reported by TSN's Gord Miller that Larry Brooks of the NY Post was saying this. Who is now disputing it on TSN? I typically put reports out of TSN as factual so this would surprise me if they jumped the gun and reported it early.

Not sure if it was around an hour ago or so, but they said it on trade center before cutting to break that this was debunked.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

fan4life61
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:36 pm 
PP Quarterback

FWIW, pegulas daughter just tweeted this
Quote:
JLPegula Jessie Pegula
So no richards

Edit:
Quote:
JLPegula Jessie Pegula
Sorry guys I sat on my phone driving to a doctors appointment! I'm not at the arena so I don't know anything.

"on the ice now for buffalo, looking for the pass, and gets it, afinogenov, couldnt get the shot away, now HE DOES, HE SCORES!!!! HOLY MACKEREL ROLE THE HIGH LIGHT FILM, MAXIM AFINOGENOV, WHAT A MOVE!!!!.... thats not fair... that was unbelievable"
-R.J. and Lorenz