It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Squanto
 Post subject: Re: Tim Kennedy?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:39 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
The team didn't need Kennedy, but they also didn't need to verify a shitty reputation and possibly hurt their already weak chances in the FA market.

To be totally honest, I don't care how the Sabres treat 5th and 6th line free agents. Tim Kennedy's contract negotiations didn't hurt the Sabres in free agency; their generally unwillingness to overpay did.

I want GOOD players saying hey, I want to play in Buffalo. GOOD players didn't pay any attention to what they did with Kennedy, because they'd never be in that situation to begin with.

EDIT: To focus back to the initial point, no, I don't think Tim Kennedy is worth a look, even for AHL depth.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:22 pm 
Cup Winner

If I remember correctly, when the team files for arbitration, like they did with Kennedy, they cannot walk away from the arbitrators award?

The Sabres filed for it, didn't like the contract, and bought him out. Simple as that. Look at him now, not playing in the NHL on worse teams. Says something about our depth at the time.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:13 pm 
More Heart Than Skill

Actually, I'm pretty sure Kennedy was the one to file for arbitration. The reason the Sabres couldn't walk away from it is because there's a floor below which you cannot walk away from an arbitration award. Dumont's award was well above that floor, and the Sabres walked. Kennedy's was below, so they had to take the contract, but they were within their rights to buy him out.

Ham

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:43 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Hammygoodness wrote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure Kennedy was the one to file for arbitration. The reason the Sabres couldn't walk away from it is because there's a floor below which you cannot walk away from an arbitration award. Dumont's award was well above that floor, and the Sabres walked. Kennedy's was below, so they had to take the contract, but they were within their rights to buy him out.

Ham

Ham is correct. It was player elected arbitration.

Kennedy was told before the hearing that they would walk away or buy out any award that was more than their last offer. He took a chance. He lost.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:32 pm 
Cup Winner

I thought the team filed it.

But yea, anything under 1.6 million a team can't walk away from, or that was the case then.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:25 pm 
PP Quarterback

Squanto wrote:
Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
how Pegula is trying to change the organization's reputation,

Re-signing a player waived under strange circumstances by the previous owner doesn't do a damn thing with respect to reputation. Toss all that crap out the window.

Is Tim Kennedy better than any of the existing centers on the Amerk's roster? My answer is no. It's a waste of time and effort to even discuss it. He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator.

I not sure it was strange, I thought the Sabres told him that if he goes to arbitration or wants more than what I think was about a minimum deal that they were going to cut him and they did. Something feels like they also didn't like his attitude or work ethic or something.