All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Skyline_BNR34
 Post subject: Re: Bobby Ryan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:28 pm 
Cup Winner

Jammerz04 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
Anaheim might want that package, but I highly doubt Regier trades four pieces for Ryan. Ryan is a great player that I would love to have, but the difference between he and Stafford is not as much as Sekera, Adam, and a 1st. Ryan averages 32 goals, 130 hits, and is 18 months younger with a 1.1 mil higher cap hit. Stafford averages 20 goals, 70 hits, and they both are about the same defensively. Is that difference worth...

Sekera - turned out (if last season is a true indicator) to be a top four d-man. Even though his offensive game has never met expectations he's on a great contract for how he played last season.

Adam - obviously has work to do learning defense and possibly a better work ethic, but still has the talent to be a top two C/LW.

1st rd pick - With Buffalo's recent draft history I wouldn't give away that pick with other assets.

If the basis for a trade is Stafford for Ryan, I would add in Sekera OR Adam and a 2nd OR a lesser prospect and a 1st rd pick. Anaheim really wants a 2C but Buffalo can't afford that, so if they plan on screwing Buffalo over for everything else they have I hope Regier backs out. For comparison, it's widely reported that Murray wants Couturier and one of the Schenns from Philly for Ryan. I'd laugh that off too if I were Holmgren, and it's probably why Philly has reportedly dropped out of talks.

Ryan is a great power forward, but a winger is not a vital, cornerstone position on the ice. He's not worth giving up the farm for.

Ryan has a lot more talent than Stafford and probably more ambition. He's scored 71 points before, I'd say he'd flourish with the Sabres.

Agreed. We all know what Stafford brings to the table. Without Ennis he seems like nothing IMO... I believe 52 points has been his highest output so far in his career I believe 60 PTS is his cap. Ryan on the other hand had 71 points and hasn't scored less than 30 goals since joining the league full time. And he's got the potential to be 80-100 point guy; stafford does not have that at all.

Maybe substitute Leopold for Sekera in the trade and maybe just a 1st round pick and Adam. We are definately loaded at defense and have to get rid of at least 2 NHL defensemen. Brayden McNabb is very ready to make the jump and listening to his interviews that if he doesn't get that chance he will look elsewhere. That's my opinion anyways...

If you can't get a PPG pace on a line with Getzlaf feeding the puck to you, you'll never be a 80-100 point guy.

Bobby Ryan is a guy who will net 30 goals and possibly 30 assists, but he is not going to ever be a PPG player, he has Perry and Getzlaf on his line.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:39 pm 
Hart Winner

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
Anaheim might want that package, but I highly doubt Regier trades four pieces for Ryan. Ryan is a great player that I would love to have, but the difference between he and Stafford is not as much as Sekera, Adam, and a 1st. Ryan averages 32 goals, 130 hits, and is 18 months younger with a 1.1 mil higher cap hit. Stafford averages 20 goals, 70 hits, and they both are about the same defensively. Is that difference worth...

Sekera - turned out (if last season is a true indicator) to be a top four d-man. Even though his offensive game has never met expectations he's on a great contract for how he played last season.

Adam - obviously has work to do learning defense and possibly a better work ethic, but still has the talent to be a top two C/LW.

1st rd pick - With Buffalo's recent draft history I wouldn't give away that pick with other assets.

If the basis for a trade is Stafford for Ryan, I would add in Sekera OR Adam and a 2nd OR a lesser prospect and a 1st rd pick. Anaheim really wants a 2C but Buffalo can't afford that, so if they plan on screwing Buffalo over for everything else they have I hope Regier backs out. For comparison, it's widely reported that Murray wants Couturier and one of the Schenns from Philly for Ryan. I'd laugh that off too if I were Holmgren, and it's probably why Philly has reportedly dropped out of talks.

Ryan is a great power forward, but a winger is not a vital, cornerstone position on the ice. He's not worth giving up the farm for.

Ryan has a lot more talent than Stafford and probably more ambition. He's scored 71 points before, I'd say he'd flourish with the Sabres.

Agreed. We all know what Stafford brings to the table. Without Ennis he seems like nothing IMO... I believe 52 points has been his highest output so far in his career I believe 60 PTS is his cap. Ryan on the other hand had 71 points and hasn't scored less than 30 goals since joining the league full time. And he's got the potential to be 80-100 point guy; stafford does not have that at all.

Maybe substitute Leopold for Sekera in the trade and maybe just a 1st round pick and Adam. We are definately loaded at defense and have to get rid of at least 2 NHL defensemen. Brayden McNabb is very ready to make the jump and listening to his interviews that if he doesn't get that chance he will look elsewhere. That's my opinion anyways...

If you can't get a PPG pace on a line with Getzlaf feeding the puck to you, you'll never be a 80-100 point guy.

Bobby Ryan is a guy who will net 30 goals and possibly 30 assists, but he is not going to ever be a PPG player, he has Perry and Getzlaf on his line.

Getzlaf had the same amount of points as Ryan last year, with only 11 goals, btw.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:20 pm 
Cup Winner

I know, that, those three had bad years last year, the year before it though, Perry gets 50 goals and 98 points, Getzlaf had 76 points in 67 games, and Ryan gets 71 in 82.

Ryan has been close to this PPG mark, but he hasn't hit it yet. To say the guy will immediately turn into this PPG player on the Sabres in insane, he's playing with one of the best centers in the game and one of the best snipers in the game and still isn't hitting that mark.

He is tops a 70 point a year player that will score at least 30 goals. I'd be happy with the guy on this team, but not for what we delusional fans are thinking we should give up for Ryan. At best two roster players and a pick, but a pick has to come from Anahiem also to make the deal worthwhile. Ryan alone does not garner 2 NHL players, a Prospect and a pick. That territory is reserved for guys like Perry, Getzlaf, Gaborik and those guys.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:26 pm 
Hart Winner

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
I know, that, those three had bad years last year, the year before it though, Perry gets 50 goals and 98 points, Getzlaf had 76 points in 67 games, and Ryan gets 71 in 82.

Ryan has been close to this PPG mark, but he hasn't hit it yet. To say the guy will immediately turn into this PPG player on the Sabres in insane, he's playing with one of the best centers in the game and one of the best snipers in the game and still isn't hitting that mark.

He is tops a 70 point a year player that will score at least 30 goals. I'd be happy with the guy on this team, but not for what we delusional fans are thinking we should give up for Ryan. At best two roster players and a pick, but a pick has to come from Anahiem also to make the deal worthwhile. Ryan alone does not garner 2 NHL players, a Prospect and a pick. That territory is reserved for guys like Perry, Getzlaf, Gaborik and those guys.

Adam- We have no use for him. Grigs and Zemmy are our C prospects, along with Ennis and Hodgson.
Sekera- TOO MANY D MEN. Perfect
Stafford- Upgraded to Ryan. 30 goals, 70 point player replaces Stafford, we're all good.
1st round pick- the only thing that we're really sad to see go.

I think all of that is pretty decent for Ryan.

SeveredLegionair
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:25 pm 
7th Defenseman

Legionair - Anaheim is a budget team and they don't want to take back a big contract, so I doubt Stafford is a piece they want let alone Vanek.

But that is where that Cap floor is forcing them to take on contracts..
right now they are just a hair under that projected Cap Floor of 54.3m
so if they trade Ryan that puts them $5m under..
They would have to take at least the Stafford/Sekera/Adam deal to get above the floor
so them wanting Vanek is just adding 3m more to they're Cap number
And Vanek is actually making only about 900k more than Ryan this season in actual Cash.
Really the money/cap stuff is secondary to the ducks just waiting for the best deal. and that's if they even decide to deal him. and doan seems to be the holdup.

PS: i'm going to be getting that book "then Perreault said to Rico" how is it?

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:44 pm 
Star Sniper

The book is ok. It has some nice behind the scenes stories and quotes. It's a fast and easy read, not a bad way to pass a day.

I know Anaheim needs to stay at the floor, but they are short on prospects and I think they want to fill multiple roster spots with young, quality players as opposed to one big veteran contract.

B&Y - I don't mind putting Adam up for trade bait, especially in this scenario because he's the closest example to a 2C that we can afford to lose. I still don't think Adam is the 2C Anaheim would want (more like Hodgson), but I wouldn't disregard Adam so quickly. He was put in WAY over his head last season while the organization iced a pathetic center line-up. It's no surprise that he crashed. Immediate success stat-wise didn't bode well for his defensive development. I can only imagine/hope that his attitude and committment to the rest of his game will be much different than last season. If Ennis, Hodgson, Grig and Girg pan out successfully at center, Adam would then be in position to play LW where he could be MUCH better off at a less demanding position. He still has very good potential at either spot so I wouldn't dismiss him so casually. This camp and season should anwser a lot of questions about his future in Buffalo.

Also Sekera, as much as it pains me to say, was actually the most consistent and reliable d-man on the roster last season. I've been harping to trade him for several years now since he's failed to ever become the offensive d-man the organization hoped for. His contract last summer really confused me, but he proved his value by using his skating ability to move the puck out of the zone very well, rather than trying to create offense. He still infuriated me with some glaring mistakes in the first two months, but came around to end up (according to various stat charts) having the best season of any d-man. He solidified himself as a top four guy. OTOH, Regehr proved to be very slow and despite his experience and toughness he's probably best on a 3rd pairing. That's why I would stop at Stafford and Sekera. If Anaheim doesn't want a d-man or under values him then that's their problem and the two teams just aren't good trade partners.