It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

slesh
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:13 am 
Franchise Defenseman

I just can't see it, but I would love to see Hecht and Mancari gone for draft picks. I would bring up the Gerbel to replace Hecht, hell, can't do any worse.
Hecht is playing more to form this season, his value "may" and I stress may go up to a 3rd rounder or so.
We could reunite Gerbe with Kennedy and keep Grier on the RW as the big man on the line. Just a thought, but I can't see keeping Gerbe in semi-pro hell much longer.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:23 am 
Star Sniper

Hecht has a 26 year, $585 million contract. He ain't going nowhere.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

slesh
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:31 am 
Franchise Defenseman

End The Curse wrote:
Hecht has a 26 year, $585 million contract. He ain't going nowhere.

Ya but, 4 dollars and 50 cents of that is bonus money hinging on his performance. Now I know Hecht realizes he's not going to get to 19 goals and 7 assists this season with a +1000000 rating.
I think he'll be willing to leave realizing he can't get the bonus money......DOH!!!! :o

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:31 am 
Cup Winner

Gerbe will need to fight harder to earn his roster spot.

I just don't see Hecht going anywhere, especially with how he is paying right now, he isn't hurting the team at all, and their line is generating alot of chances.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

icehound
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 am 
Star Sniper

Smart move would be for Darcy to contact a KHL team, and offer them $3-$4 million to have them "steal" him away...

He could flee overseas, get a lucrative tax-free contract - We could all shake our heads in disbelief and call him unprintable names. And the team could strike him off the cap. With the NHL's blessing...

I know I'd try it. But, I'm not Darcy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:37 am 
Star Sniper

What ETC said on Hecht.

Mancari has no trade value. He is a minor league player, so there is no point in moving him.

Two such small players would not make sense playing on the same line. Should we promote Tyler Ennis to center them too?

You are a fan of Gerbe's; how is his season going in Portland so far?

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

slesh
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:23 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Howie Hodge wrote:
What ETC said on Hecht.

Mancari has no trade value. He is a minor league player, so there is no point in moving him.

Two such small players would not make sense playing on the same line. Should we promote Tyler Ennis to center them too?

Well Howie, I am a firm believer in chemistry. Kennedy and Gerbe clearly had it in Portland. I had the opportunity last season to catch a number of games on TV and they just seemed to click real nice together.
A fan of the team I am. I happen to take a look at the larger picture in the conference, then look at time frames for a reasonable attempt at a cup run.

Currently the team is doing well and finding ways to win. That is great and I love it, but I'm also a realist, and in being so I look at teams like the Rangers, Capitals and Montreal just to name a few that have explosive offensive capabilities. Our defense is doing well, very well, but in a 7 game serious in the playoffs, even 2 years from now, thats not enough I am afraid.

This team is going to need more scoring on a consistant basis in my opinion. Bringing those players together that potentially increase those chances and have "proven" records to work well enough together to capitalize on them just makes myself feel that much more comfortable.

As for 2 small players on the same line, that is an old wives tale I'm afraid. The game may very well play to size, but many of the successful players in the league have smaller statures and are teamed up with players of equal stature and still have great success. Gionta and Gomez come to mind and at the same size stature of Gerbe and Kennedy.

My feeling for Gerbe is to give the kid a chance, In my opinion he would produce just as much as Hecht will and at a cheaper price.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:33 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Explosive firepower does not win in the playoffs. Out of Montreal, New York, Washington, and Buffalo, I'd take Buffalo first and New York second at this point. Montreal and Washington would get decimated in the playoffs.

slesh
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:37 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

mechaphil wrote:
Explosive firepower does not win in the playoffs. Out of Montreal, New York, Washington, and Buffalo, I'd take Buffalo first and New York second at this point. Montreal and Washington would get decimated in the playoffs.

I cannot subscribe to this theory, there are many examples, but lets look at Buffalo. They had an explosive offense (yes after the lockout and rule changes). This brought them to 2 Conference finals in 2 years. Then look at Pittsburg, Detroit, Anaheim, San Jose, all have explosive offensive capabilities.

Just an opinion mind you, but the proof is in the pudding.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:40 pm 
Page Side

Hecht looked good last game.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:45 pm 
Star Sniper

PuckSniperPensel wrote:

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

icehound
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:53 pm 
Star Sniper

he loookssss ssssoo butch. :D

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:55 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Howie Hodge wrote:
What ETC said on Hecht.

Kennedy, Ennis, and Gerbe...Gosh, that line would be fun.

slesh
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:59 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

LOL, ok, ok, just a suggestion mind you. I was thinking of anyway to increase goal production.
But your correct ETC, Hecht has been playing with fire at the start of this season.
Shit, it wasn't but a couple months ago people were screaming "off with his head".
But at the end of the day, I just think Gerbe could contribute just as much as Hecht can this season. The plus side would be a draft pick and some experince for the Gerbel.

But alas, you are all correct, no one is going to take Hecht and his contract, atleast not this early in the season.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:07 pm 
Page Side

End The Curse wrote:
PuckSniperPensel wrote:

Haha fuck you. :lol: :obscene-buttsmiley: :obscene-birdiedoublegreen:

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:30 pm 
Captain Dynasty

hecht has been an asset on the team this season.

ahl chemistry doesnt necessarily equate to chemistry in the NHL. the sabres have to make the playoffs this season. darcy and lindys jobs depend on it. so they arnt going to trade away talent.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:46 pm 
Page Side

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
hecht has been an asset on the team this season.

ahl chemistry doesnt necessarily equate to chemistry in the NHL. the sabres have to make the playoffs this season. darcy and lindys jobs depend on it. so they arnt going to trade away talent.

Excellent points.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:18 pm 
Captain Dynasty

id like to see gerbe called up if theres an injury. bring him up slowly, maybe get 25 games this year. that wouldnt bother me any.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:37 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

slesh wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

I cannot subscribe to this theory, there are many examples, but lets look at Buffalo. They had an explosive offense (yes after the lockout and rule changes). This brought them to 2 Conference finals in 2 years. Then look at Pittsburg, Detroit, Anaheim, San Jose, all have explosive offensive capabilities.

Just an opinion mind you, but the proof is in the pudding.

Detroit? Defensive juggernaut. Anaheim? Offensive explosiveness? Clean your eyes out, man! Nieds, Pronger, Getz, and Giguere. San Jose? Perennial playoff flame outs. Pittsburgh? They tightened up and had to play sound hockey (hell, Maxime Talbot was their clutch scorer to win the Cup - not Crosby, Malkin, or Staal). Buffalo? in '06, we were balanced through and through, with a hot young goaltender and in '07, we had our soft, pretty asses FUCKING STOMPED by an angry, physical, DEFENSIVE Ottawa team.

You're right - the proof IS in the pudding.

slesh
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:20 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Once again, just an opinion and only time will tell. About the same when I suggested picking up Gaborik in the off season. Turned out to be a justified call and it should have happened.
Food for thought on your defensive teams you just mentioned, Detroit was no defensive jaugernaught, they score goals, period. Anahiem has had great defensive teams, but their forwards scored goals, and consistantly, and although you point out Crosby and others on Pittsburg, they are the current epitimy of an offensive power house team. More pucks in the net than your opponents win you games, More goals in the net than your opponent in the playoffs wins you a cup. Fact of life my friend.

I am not saying defensive play is not as important, my post was to key in on bringing in a possible young player to see if he could establish more consistancy in scoring, either through helpers or direct goals.
Gerbe is every bit as good as Hecht on the offensive side of the puck, I would sacrifice Hechts skills as a 2 way player to bring in more goals any day of the week.