It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
ksquier89
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:00 pm 
PP Quarterback

Yhoshi wrote:
PuckSniperPensel wrote:
Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
You're cherry picking the worst combo.

Try Roy, Kassian, and a 1st rd pick, then add in any of the other options if necessary.

Nobody wants Derek Roy.

no one

The only person that loves Derek Roy right now is Derek Roy. *As he looks in mirror and tells himself how awesome he is*

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:17 pm 
Star Sniper

Nobody on the team has good trade value, not now and probably not by the deadline, but you can't say nobody wants or would take Roy.

I'm not saying Roy, Kassian, a 1st rd pick and anything else is necessarily going to get Getzlaf either. I just wouldn't trade Myers for Getzlaf straight up. Like I said, if Anaheim wants Myers or a bus load of players/picks/prospects then Getzlaf isn't worth it.

What I would really do (beside replacing Ruff/Regier) is trade away Roy, Hecht, Boyes or Stafford (re-sign Boyes if Stafford goes), Sekera, and Gragnani as early as possible. Stockpile draft picks for those players, hopefully finish in the bottom 4-7 (we're 8th from last right now), and draft center prospect Alex Galchenyuk. Only Grigorenko (probably gets picked 2nd) is a higher rated C, but Galchenyuk will drop a few spots because he hasn't played all season after an ACL tear. Use some of those draft picks to drop a spot or two if necessary. In 2013-14 we'll have a top C, plus whoever pans out from other 2nd/3rd rd picks. We'll also have more cap room to sign legit UFAs, that is if Ruff/Regier aren't still here to screw that up.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:29 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

So instead of taking one of the best players in the league right now, who happens to play the position Buffalo needs most, we wait until 2014 hoping that multiple players live up to their potential. Sounds like a plan.

Montalo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:33 pm 
PP Quarterback

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
So instead of taking one of the best players in the league right now, who happens to play the position Buffalo needs most, we wait until 2014 hoping that multiple players live up to their potential. Sounds like a plan.

i would take five years of being downright AWFUL in return for years of excelence

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:43 pm 
Star Sniper

Stuuuuuuu wrote:

Yeah, because Getzlaf isn't going to magically change the team into a Cup contender either, especially with an already struggling d-corps minus Myers. Does +Getzlaf -Myers sound like a Cup winning plan to you?!? We're further off than that, so trade dead weight players with bloated contracts for a future that isn't under the control of Ruff/Regier.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:32 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Stuuuuuuu wrote:

Yeah, because Getzlaf isn't going to magically change the team into a Cup contender either, especially with an already struggling d-corps minus Myers. Does +Getzlaf -Myers sound like a Cup winning plan to you?!? We're further off than that, so trade dead weight players with bloated contracts for a future that isn't under the control of Ruff/Regier.

Getzlaf alone wouldn't be a Cup-winning move, but it would make the team better now IMO. To win a Cup, there will have to be some sacrificing of the future for results now. Isn't that what the whole frustration on these boards are about? You can't have it both ways. You can't hold out for the future and complain about what's on the ice now. This is a proven producer in his prime in the position the Sabres need.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:36 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Stuuuuuuu wrote:

Furthermore, who is gonna take dead weight players? Even for picks? You gotta give value to get value.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:37 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:

Furthermore, who is gonna take dead weight players? Even for picks? You gotta give value to get value.

You never know, maybe we ship a dead weight player to anaheim in a 3-way deal, where they use that player as added leverage to another deal...

Montalo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:40 pm 
PP Quarterback

i would say and do think that we should be sellers at the deadline, but. we honestly have nothing to sell that anyone wants

ksquier89
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:11 pm 
PP Quarterback

I would rather invest in the future.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:24 pm 
Star Sniper

Stuuuuuuu wrote:

I'm tempted to be a little smart here the way you were smart with me earlier, but I'm rather enjoying the recent atmosphere of debate/argument without flaming piss wars...lol. Anyway, just take a look at the last 4-5 trade deadlines, and see how many marginal players are easily traded for 2nd rd picks.

Roy would easily fetch a 2nd rd pick, even Stafford would get at a 3rd. Other players like Boyes and Sekera would get a 3rd-5th. Now I acknowledge that 2nd-5th rd picks aren't sure fire future changing picks, but you can use them in other trades to move up in the 1st rd or to get a better player. It also frees up dead cap space for (hopefully) a new coach/GM to use for smart FA signings. This route appeals to me a hell of a lot more than trading for roster players, because straight up trades are give and take lateral moves with almost equal amount of gamble. Top Cs are drafted and don't move for the most part, so get one that way and other parts can be acquired along the way.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:27 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

ksquier89 wrote:
I would rather invest in the future.

"From this moment on, the Buffalo Sabres reason for existence is to win a Stanley Cup...in 6 years".

I think there's a reason that final part wasn't included in the real quote. As we can see from the Sabres Hockey section here, waiting is something Sabres fans are tired of doing.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:29 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Stuuuuuuu wrote:

I'm tempted to be a little smart here the way you were smart with me earlier, but I'm rather enjoying the recent atmosphere of debate/argument without flaming piss wars...lol. Anyway, just take a look at the last 4-5 trade deadlines, and see how many marginal players are easily traded for 2nd rd picks.

Roy would easily fetch a 2nd rd pick, even Stafford would get at a 3rd. Other players like Boyes and Sekera would get a 3rd-5th. Now I acknowledge that 2nd-5th rd picks aren't sure fire future changing picks, but you can use them in other trades to move up in the 1st rd or to get a better player. It also frees up dead cap space for (hopefully) a new coach/GM to use for smart FA signings. This route appeals to me a hell of a lot more than trading for roster players, because straight up trades are give and take lateral moves with almost equal amount of gamble. Top Cs are drafted and don't move for the most part, so get one that way and other parts can be acquired along the way.

There is no proven formula to winning a Cup without gambling. Otherwise, every team would do it.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:47 pm 
Star Sniper

I know that, I meant equal amount of gamble as hoping a draft pick pans out. But with a draft pick, you don't lose a roster player to get that player. Other seasons were worth being a buyer at the deadline and making a run. This season doesn't have much hope, imo, and with a definite need for a top C we should be sellers and hope to get a top 3-6 draft pick that can get that player without giving up long term future players like Myers.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:49 pm 
Power Forward

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:
no one wants stafford or roy. they want myers. and i wouldnt give him up. id try and make a small trade right now. dangle gragnani and gerbe out, and see if i can get a bruising forward.

Good idea. Trade Gerbe, one of maybe 4 players on this roster that skates and plays like a cup winner. For a bruising forward. When our biggest needs are a first line center, and Stanley Cup Experience/leadership.

Here's an idea. Trade Myers for for Getzlaf, and you get what you want (a bruising forward) and I get what I want (a game breaking first line center to turn Vanek into a 60 goal scorer.)

And you lose a future Norris Trophy winner. Getzlaf hasn't shown shit so far this season. Guys on pace for 50 some odd points this season. You've got to have no hockey intelligence if you would make that deal. Right now if a deal of Stafford + Roy wouldn't get it done I'd throw Ennis in to sweaten the pot. Right now all Getzlaf is an underacheiving forward. IMO past doesn't matter, he's gotta perform in the now. No way we trade pretty much our only all around d-man and future norris trophy winner away.

If I was Darcy the only way I'd listen to a deal with the ducks for Myers is if it includes both Fowler and Getzlaf coming back otherwise your just filling one gaping hole on the front end and digging another one on the back end.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:53 pm 
Star Sniper

Well in fairness Jammerz, Getzlaf is much better than his stats. Same with Roy and Stastny, but Getzlaf is MUCH better. Still though I agree...it's a lateral type of move to fill one spot and lose another.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:05 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Well in fairness Jammerz, Getzlaf is much better than his stats. Same with Roy and Stastny, but Getzlaf is MUCH better. Still though I agree...it's a lateral type of move to fill one spot and lose another.

I'd agree if there were no Ehrhoff, Sekera, and Gragnani still left on the team. Buffalo has a lot of skating/passing/shooting D-men, and not one true center that's in the lineup. Getzlaf for Myers addresses what this team needs now.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:11 pm 
Star Sniper

Sure "now", but we also need more than Getzlaf now, and how do you make sure we still have Getzlaf after 2013 when his contract expires? Regier can't have the assurance that Getzlaf stays past 2013 unless he waits until the summer to make the trade, and is able to work a contract extension for Getzlaf into the deal. He's from Saskatchewan, so I doubt he'd feel any particular desire to stick around while Buffalo's front office shores up the roster. How do you justify trading away Myers if Getzlaf is only around for 18 months, with almost certainly no Cup to show for it?

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:31 pm 
Cup Winner

Montalo wrote:
i would say and do think that we should be sellers at the deadline, but. we honestly have nothing to sell that anyone wants

You never know. If what you're offering is anybody except a select few for maybe draft picks, some teams may take a chance on the guys.

With Roy's contract he has one of the best chances to get moved still. Yea he has 24 points in 40 games, but points aren't always everything. Some teams could be he's the Center we could use to help make us deeper there or even go to a team with a far superior number one and he see's second line minutes. to give a team solid center strength.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:34 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Montalo wrote:

You never know. If what you're offering is anybody except a select few for maybe draft picks, some teams may take a chance on the guys.

With Roy's contract he has one of the best chances to get moved still. Yea he has 24 points in 40 games, but points aren't always everything. Some teams could be he's the Center we could use to help make us deeper there or even go to a team with a far superior number one and he see's second line minutes. to give a team solid center strength.

You do not have to sell him to us. lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next