It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:15 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
Sure "now", but we also need more than Getzlaf now, and how do you make sure we still have Getzlaf after 2013 when his contract expires? Regier can't have the assurance that Getzlaf stays past 2013 unless he waits until the summer to make the trade, and is able to work a contract extension for Getzlaf into the deal. He's from Saskatchewan, so I doubt he'd feel any particular desire to stick around while Buffalo's front office shores up the roster. How do you justify trading away Myers if Getzlaf is only around for 18 months, with almost certainly no Cup to show for it?

That's the best argument against this trade I think. You don't know if he'll stick around. I think he'd like Buffalo better than Anaheim, but maybe after his contract is up, he wants to play in western Canada. If there were maybe 1 more year left on his contract, I'd feel more strongly about it.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:31 pm 
Power Forward

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
Well in fairness Jammerz, Getzlaf is much better than his stats. Same with Roy and Stastny, but Getzlaf is MUCH better. Still though I agree...it's a lateral type of move to fill one spot and lose another.

I'd agree if there were no Ehrhoff, Sekera, and Gragnani still left on the team. Buffalo has a lot of skating/passing/shooting D-men, and not one true center that's in the lineup. Getzlaf for Myers addresses what this team needs now.

Tell me which one of those 3 d-men can do what Myers does? Ehrhoff has a nice shot and he's alright defensively, all Sekera can do is move the puck and I honestly can't believe your mentioning Gragnani in this debate... None of those 3 d-men can do all what Myers can do... Plus Myers has so much potential that it's be ridiculous to trade him. He's a franchise D-Man and we've been looking for one of those for how long now? Now we finally got one that the rest of the league envy and you wanna trade him away? So what we have 1 more losing season. Higher draft pick is better than a 1st round exit IMO...

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:28 am 
Star Sniper

Even with his stagnated progress as a player; Myers is still more dimensional than Sekera, Gragnani, Erhoff, and Leopold.

Myers is the only one of them that can play a strong defensive game.

I'm not saying he always does; but he's capable when the stars align properly...

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:53 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Wait for Myers to live up to his potential and Miller, and maybe Vanek will be over the hill and you'll have your stud D-man but be no closer to the Cup. I'm not saying this move has to be made, but to you guys like Howie who are preaching change, sounds like you want your cake and youu want to eat it too if you want to see Buffalo become more competitive in the short term yet still hang on to all your favorite longterm pieces too.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:29 pm 
Star Sniper

The only players that can't be on the roster and part of a Cup winner in the time it would take to bring in young impact players are Hecht and maybe Regehr. They are 34 and 31 years old. Everyone else is 29 or younger, and our best forwards are 28 and 27. A top five draft pick would take maybe 1-2 years to contribute at the most. Other players like Kassian, McNabb, or Adam can be better in about the same time, but that would take a coach that doesn't stamp them into a system player and turn them into scared and tentative players.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:38 am 
PP Quarterback

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Wait for Myers to live up to his potential and Miller, and maybe Vanek will be over the hill and you'll have your stud D-man but be no closer to the Cup. I'm not saying this move has to be made, but to you guys like Howie who are preaching change, sounds like you want your cake and youu want to eat it too if you want to see Buffalo become more competitive in the short term yet still hang on to all your favorite longterm pieces too.

Great thing about Vaneks style of play is that he will contribute even after his legs give way. His ability to deflect pucks and work around the net means his inability create a odd mean rush is nullified. He will be a twenty goal scorer until he retires. He is like the Shaq of our team.