It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:50 am 
PP Quarterback

Montalo wrote:
here's a question. When is the last time a team has won the Stanley Cup with no previous Cup winners on their roster?

I know the 1893 Montreal team didn't have one.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:57 am 
Superstar Goalie

I was just about to post that!

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:27 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Well, I haven't read much about Roy in here. I have heard a lot of samck talk about Drew Miller though. FYI, Drew Miller would be tied for 6th in scoring on the Sabres, behind only Pominville, Vanek, Roy, Stafford, and Ehrhoff.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:17 pm 
Hart Winner

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
PuckSniperPensel wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:
PuckSniperPensel wrote:
Nuthatch wrote:
Ummm, I'm not willing to trade Myers.

So if you could laterally move a top Dman who can play 25-30 minutes a game, for another top Dman who can also play 25-30 minutes a game AND has won a cup, while ALSO bringing in a legitimate first line center who has ALSO won a cup... you wouldn't do it?

Drew Miller has won a cup. This does not prove shit about a player's talent.

Yeah guess what; Drew Miller didn't play 25 minutes per game, every game during the playoffs, either.

That comparison does not work.

So is Dustin Buff a better defensemen than Shea Weber?

He played forward at that time though.

I thought he alternated?

I'm basically just saying, winning a Stanley cup shouldn't prove you better than another player. Especially since Keith's team was ridiculous.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:19 pm 
Page Side

Doesn't mean you're a better player, but it's definitely worth quite a bit.

The point is, that kind of movement would bring in one of the best centers in the NHL, a defenseman that can play 25 minutes per game, even in the playoffs, and cup winning experience, which is important to any hockey club.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 pm 
Hart Winner

I was also thinking... What are the details of Jeff Carter's contract? Is he an FA at the end of the season or should we go after him?

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:45 pm 
Star Sniper

Carter is signed LOOOONG term at about 5.5 mil per season...I think ten years.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:15 pm 
Hart Winner

wink wink

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:39 pm 
Page Side

Nooooooo. The freakin Blue Jackets don't even want Jeff Carter.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:00 pm 
Captain Dynasty

no thnx to duncan keith for myers.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:54 pm 
Page Side

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

I'd do it if it also meant bringing in Getzlaf.

Getzlaf is a far bigger improvement upon Roy than Myers is on Keith.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 am 
Power Forward

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

agreed. I believe Duncan has reached his prime and honestly we can agree that he needs no more improvement. But Myers upside is huge couple years down the road he'll be the envy of the league.

And Getzlaf isn't going anywhere. The only one worth taking a shot at that may be available off Ducks roster is Ryan. And that's probably a pretty big gamble and we don't do good with gambles see Boyes and Leino.

The only players I want Sabres to pursue besides new coach and GM are Parise, Suter, Weber and maybe Gill if the price is right.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:09 pm 
Page Side

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Jammerz04 wrote:

agreed. I believe Duncan has reached his prime and honestly we can agree that he needs no more improvement. But Myers upside is huge couple years down the road he'll be the envy of the league.

And Getzlaf isn't going anywhere. The only one worth taking a shot at that may be available off Ducks roster is Ryan. And that's probably a pretty big gamble and we don't do good with gambles see Boyes and Leino.

The only players I want Sabres to pursue besides new coach and GM are Parise, Suter, Weber and maybe Gill if the price is right.

Here's the list of the other Norris Trophy Winners throughout history, just in case you forgot what kind of class Keith is in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Norr ... ial_Trophy

You guys put Myers on the pedestal like he's some kind of god. He's good, and he's got potential, but Keith is already one of the best defensemen in the NHL.

Chicago would have a hard time saying no to Roy, Pominville, and a 1st for Keith.

You make that trade if Anaheim's offer of Getzlaf for Myers is still on the table, and you make THAT trade.

Then you go into the offseason and do whatever it takes to sign Parise.

Suddenly, you've turned Roy into Getzlaf, Pominville into Parise, and Myers into Keith.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 am 
Power Forward

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Jammerz04 wrote:

Here's the list of the other Norris Trophy Winners throughout history, just in case you forgot what kind of class Keith is in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Norr ... ial_Trophy

You guys put Myers on the pedestal like he's some kind of god. He's good, and he's got potential, but Keith is already one of the best defensemen in the NHL.

Chicago would have a hard time saying no to Roy, Pominville, and a 1st for Keith.

You make that trade if Anaheim's offer of Getzlaf for Myers is still on the table, and you make THAT trade.

Then you go into the offseason and do whatever it takes to sign Parise.

Suddenly, you've turned Roy into Getzlaf, Pominville into Parise, and Myers into Keith.

Ok 1st of all whats your point? All I said is that Keith has reached his prime. He won't be getting any higher IMO. Your trying to argue with something that I've never even said. And I know what kind of class he is in. It took Duncan 5 full years in the NHL to earn that trophy and Myers isn't even done his 3rd.

Getzlaf isn't going anywhere for anyone. Ducks are playing good hockey.

And Hawks woud turn that offer down simply because they've got a top 5 offense already and getting rid of one of there best dmen for offense instead. They'd do a deal involving Keith that'd include a good dman going the other way + a goalie. They won't just give away one of the best in the league just to improve something that doesn't need improving.

Ya man all those trades would be awesome maybe we can go and convince Gretzky to come out of retirement and play for the BUffalo Sabres? :clap:

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:29 am 
Page Side

The point is, Darcy should have traded Myers for Getzlaf when he had the chance, because there are other things you can do to replace Myers.

You guys treat the kid like he's god. He's not. He has POTENTIAL, but it doesn't mean he'll ever get there. He still has A LOT to prove. The kid is not an untouchable.

The original rumor is that the Hawks are looking for help on offense, and that they were taking a look at Roy. The question is, what would it take for the Sabres to pry Keith from them? Want to make it Enroth, Roy, and a first? Go for it.

Either way, you end up with one of the best centers in the NHL, a Norris Trophy winning defenseman, and then still have cap room come July 1st to make other moves.

I know the door is closed on Getzlaf now, but it wasn't before, and it might not be in the future.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:23 pm 
Power Forward

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
The point is, Darcy should have traded Myers for Getzlaf when he had the chance, because there are other things you can do to replace Myers.

You guys treat the kid like he's god. He's not. He has POTENTIAL, but it doesn't mean he'll ever get there. He still has A LOT to prove. The kid is not an untouchable.

The original rumor is that the Hawks are looking for help on offense, and that they were taking a look at Roy. The question is, what would it take for the Sabres to pry Keith from them? Want to make it Enroth, Roy, and a first? Go for it.

Either way, you end up with one of the best centers in the NHL, a Norris Trophy winning defenseman, and then still have cap room come July 1st to make other moves.

I know the door is closed on Getzlaf now, but it wasn't before, and it might not be in the future.

Treating Myers like a god eh? Just like people think Miller's god, you I presume are one of them. It seems like you think Keith is god? :o Maybe even Getzlaf?

How do you know the door wasn't closed on Getzlaf? Honest to god I would never trade an asset like that even if I were in the bottom of the standings and I doubt Ducks GM who is a very smart GM would do something like that. And it was nothing but a rumor about Getzlaf for Myers. Just like it was a rumor that Darcy would try and trade up to draft Patrick Kane. Can't put all your thought into rumors.

Goalie issues won't be solved on hawks behalf by getting the guy backing up the starter it's getting the starter. They won't just trade away one of the best DMen in the league for what did you call it? Potential? Essentially it'd be a 1st and Enroth for Keith because I'm sure we can agree that Roy sucks donkey balls. Only way you get Keith is if Miller goes the other way. Hawks were looking for a center and they traded for one in Brendan Morrison a while back. But they won't trading Keith.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:37 pm 
Page Side

Line by line, lets have fun.

Jammerz04 wrote:
Treating Myers like a god eh? Just like people think Miller's god, you I presume are one of them. It seems like you think Keith is god? :o Maybe even Getzlaf?

No, I don't think Keith is god. If you go back and read, you'll see that I admitted Keith would be a slight downgrade as compared to Myers.

Getzlaf? Yeah. He's god as far as this team is concerned. He'd be the best first line center this team has seen since Pat Lafontaine.

Miller? No, he's not god. But I'm a firm believer that without two talented goaltenders on your roster, you put yourself at great risk to ruin all of your players' efforts. Remember Lalime? Remember when Miller went down last year and Enroth filled in? There's the difference between playoffs and no playoffs right there. And this team can be turned into a contender without ditching either Miller or Enroth, so why do it?

Quote:
How do you know the door wasn't closed on Getzlaf? Honest to god I would never trade an asset like that even if I were in the bottom of the standings and I doubt Ducks GM who is a very smart GM would do something like that. And it was nothing but a rumor about Getzlaf for Myers. Just like it was a rumor that Darcy would try and trade up to draft Patrick Kane. Can't put all your thought into rumors.

I'M NOT SAYING IT WAS DEFINITIVELY POSSIBLE! What I'm saying is that if it were, you'd be CRAZY NOT TO DO IT! That's all. It's an opinion based off of a rumor.

Now you're telling me the Ducks GM would be crazy to get rid of Getzlaf for Myers. So which way do you lean? Would you get rid of Myers for Getzlaf if you could replace Myers with a solid defenseman, or wouldn't you?

Quote:
Goalie issues won't be solved on hawks behalf by getting the guy backing up the starter it's getting the starter. They won't just trade away one of the best DMen in the league for what did you call it? Potential? Essentially it'd be a 1st and Enroth for Keith because I'm sure we can agree that Roy sucks donkey balls. Only way you get Keith is if Miller goes the other way. Hawks were looking for a center and they traded for one in Brendan Morrison a while back. But they won't trading Keith.

Again, the Roy trade thought process was based off of the rumor that the Hawks wanted him. If they need goaltending help, I'd be hesitant to send them Enroth for reasons previously stated, but I'd probably end up doing it at a trade deadline to make a run at the playoffs and work on replacing goaltending that summer.

And if that doesn't work out, I can just keep Roy and Enroth and use my cap space come summer to go after Suter.

Whatever, none of this matters. My question to you is, if the trade was an option, would you trade Myers for Getzlaf?

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:12 am 
Cup Winner

To me I wouldn't trade Myers for Getzlaf either. We need more help at D than we have needed in the past at forward. I know we haven't scored much this year, but previous years with this team, we've been in the top 10 in the league. They can rebound on scoring still.

Honestly, I don't want to see a huge shakeup with this team, even when they were in 15th in the East I didn't. Roy has been coming on again and the Ennis, Leino, Stafford line has been dangerous. I would ditch a few pieces and bring in a few here and there.

I know we can't blame injuries, but honestly we can. When 5 or 6 guys went down we ended up having the fill in guys be guys who have never played games in the NHL. That's hard to do. With the team all healthy and starting to play better. The only way I want this team to be shaken up, is the get rid of the dead weight and to really go after some guys in FA.

If we can rid Roy and get a Norris winner, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But if we get rid of Myers for Getzlaf, we need a guarantee Keith or Suter Or Weber is coming to Buffalo.

There are tweaks I'd like to do to the team. We all want a Getzlaf on the team, but it's most likely not gonna happen.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

OldTimeHockey
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:16 pm 
PP Quarterback

So let me get this straight, we trade a Calder cup winner for a guy who's having the worst year of his career?

So some are complaining that we overvalue Myers, but are some people here overvaluing Getzlaf? His hits are down, his goals and assists as down, and his shooting percentage is in the tank. Don't get me wrong, he's a good to great player, but to trade Myers for him, he would need to be at his 2008-2009 pace.