It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:04 pm 
Page Side

Might as well start talking about it, right?

Lots of people are making a fuss about Grigorenko, but knowing this team, we won't crash bad enough to get that high of a draft pick. The good news is, there's a better pick that will go later than Grigorenko, and his name is Alex Galchenyuk.

He's an American born, 6'2" center. His father played professional hockey in Russia, so he's also lived and played hockey in Germany, Russia, and Italy. That means he's learned many different ways this game can be played, and will likely be a better player because of it.

Kid's got great hands and a killer wrist shot. I see him being the Sabres' first round draft pick this year, and I think it's going to be a really good one.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:42 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Sold!!!!!! But can we still trade for a center and draft one in round two as well

E X C E L L E N C E

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:58 pm 
PP Quarterback

Galvenchyuk is not better than Grigorenko in my book. Galvenchyuk's stats are a bit inflated because he played with Yakupov.

Galvenchyuk is the more likelier pick because we probably won't draft in the top 3 but I doubt anyone would pick him if Grigorenko is still available.

His "Russian Factor" might be smaller because he lived in several countries but that doesn't make him a better hockey player.

Just my opinion.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:00 pm 
PP Quarterback

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
Might as well start talking about it, right?

Lots of people are making a fuss about Grigorenko, but knowing this team, we won't crash bad enough to get that high of a draft pick. The good news is, there's a better pick that will go later than Grigorenko, and his name is Alex Galchenyuk.

He's an American born, 6'2" center. His father played professional hockey in Russia, so he's also lived and played hockey in Germany, Russia, and Italy. That means he's learned many different ways this game can be played, and will likely be a better player because of it.

Kid's got great hands and a killer wrist shot. I see him being the Sabres' first round draft pick this year, and I think it's going to be a really good one.

As of right now, we're ranked 27th in the NHL (4th overall pick) with Carolina trailing us by just one point and Edmonton trailing us by 4. The likelihood of us getting a top 5 pick, maybe even a top 3 pick, is really good right now.

@TJLuckman550

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:29 pm 
PP Quarterback

I think it's up to the president/owner to decide what to do with the season. They should tell Darcy to sell so the team knows the season is over and doesn't start a winning streak in March just to end up with the 12th pick.
It's a tough spot for Darcy without the support of Ted and Terry. If he decides to tank and sell there is a good chance his job is gone.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 pm 
Star Sniper

I look at Grigorenko and Yakupov as 1a and 1b in the draft order. Buffalo won't get a shot at them, so that's why I've mentioned Galchenyuk also. Great player, just behind the other two, who's draft stock might fall enough for Buffalo to snag him because of a torn knee ligament that forced him to sit this entire season. Rehab is in full swing, he started skating again in January, and he should be rusty but ready for 2012-13. Maybe not a starter right away, but should be able to make the roster next season and fill a 1st/2nd line C role in 2013-14.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:42 pm 
PP Quarterback

That injury worries me. It could be the reason he falls to us so it might be blessing in disguise, but missing a year at this stage of his career will make it tough to play in the NHL next year.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:46 pm 
PP Quarterback

I'm writing here without any personal experience. Has anyone watched the top prospects play?

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:25 pm 
Power Forward

sabretoothpick wrote:
That injury worries me. It could be the reason he falls to us so it might be blessing in disguise, but missing a year at this stage of his career will make it tough to play in the NHL next year.

Agreed. An injury that forces a player out for a whole season is a pretty big deal. Hell Roy went from point per game to barely showing up most nights from his injury. I think Grigorenko is the choice to make here IMO, and if we are in the top 5 we make the trade to move up to one of the top 2 picks to get him.

patkane88
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:58 am 
Captain Clutch

I have seen both Yakupov and Galchenyuk both play live and yeah they are both good but the more hear about Grigorenko, the more I would love to see him in Buffalo. Yakupov is very good but he is sort of small and Galchenyuk seems to be very injury prone as he has been hurt a lot in his OHL career.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13