It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:01 pm 
Captain Clutch

Image VS Image

Quote:
Sabres-Capitals Preview
Tuesday, 11.24.2009 / 1:44 PM
Associated Press

The Washington Capitals and Buffalo Sabres are slipping in the Eastern Conference. They still have a good amount of leeway, though.

Though they're two of the conference's top clubs, the Capitals and Sabres are on three-game losing streaks entering a matchup at the Verizon Center on Wednesday night.

Washington (13-5-6) has lost four of five (1-2-2) after winning its previous four, falling into a tie with Pittsburgh for the lead in the East. The Capitals' 4-3 overtime loss to Ottawa on Monday night dropped the Sabres (12-6-2) into second place in the Northeast Division, one point behind the Senators.

Buffalo is coming off its own loss to Ottawa, 5-3 on Saturday night, for its season-worst third straight defeat (0-2-1). The Sabres are in the middle of a three-game road trip, but a matchup at Washington could help their cause.

Buffalo is 8-2-0 on the road against the Capitals since the start of the 2003-04 season. The Sabres have won 15 of 20 overall in the series during that span but have yet to face Washington this season.

The injury-riddled Capitals have lost two straight on the road prior to this stop at the Verizon Center, where it is 7-2-3.

Right wing Alexander Semin has missed four straight games because of a wrist injury :lol: and is day to day, as are defensemen Milan Jurcina (lower-body injury), Shaone Morrisonn (upper-body injury) and Tom Poti (upper-body injury), along with right wing Boyd Gordon (back).

Washington will be without wingers Mike Knuble (broken finger) and Quintin Laing (broken jaw).

Players such as rookie Jay Beagle have had to step up. He posted his first NHL goal versus Ottawa after earning his first point with an assist in his season debut, a 4-2 win over the New York Rangers on Tuesday night.

"You score to win," Beagle said. "I scored but at the same point you're disappointed with the loss so it's kind of a bitter feeling."

Teammate Brendan Morrison has four goals and four assists in his last nine games, and he now faces a Buffalo team which has given up 13 goals during its three-game skid.

Patrick Lalime stopped just 21 of 26 shots against the Senators in his third start of the season.

"I don't think we even need to focus on goaltending," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. "I think the focus has to fall on our 5-on-5 play."

Ryan Miller, who leads the NHL with a 1.97 goals-against average, will likely be back in goal for Buffalo. He's 5-0-0 with a 2.91 GAA in six road games against the Capitals.

Jason Pominville has two goals and three assists in his last four games at Washington. He has a goal and an assist in his last two games after being held off the scoresheet in four straight contests.

Thomas Vanek has points in five of his last six games (two goals, four assists).

This is the first meeting between these clubs and neither are playing their usual game. A couple quick stats: The Capitals are #1 in total goals for with 83 while the Sabre's are 27th with 52. During 5 on 5 play, the Capitals are still in first with 55 goals and the Sabres are 29th with only 30 goals. The Capitals are 12th in total hits and the Sabre's are 29th!!!!! The first two lines really need to step up and start scoring, Miller can only do so much against the Great 8. The team also needs to get back to the hard hitting team they started off being. They seem to fair far better when they come out fast and hitting hard.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:14 pm 
Star Sniper

Let's go, Buffalo! I actually feel pretty good about this one. Now that the dark cloud of Ottawa has passed I see the sun peaking out again, and it is warming me up enough to predict the Sabres win 5-2.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:50 pm 
Captain Clutch

End The Curse wrote:
Let's go, Buffalo! I actually feel pretty good about this one. Now that the dark cloud of Ottawa has passed I see the sun peaking out again, and it is warming me up enough to predict the Sabres win 5-2.

:banana-stoner: ETC, I need some of what you're smokin... :lol:

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:11 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Worried. The Caps scare me.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:34 pm 
Hart Winner

rbochan wrote:

TV CAT SEZ:

Mike Grier was injured for our sins.

quick everyone turn athiest!

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:54 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I heard that Vanek was lagging behind the rest of his team to help unload their bags, but was somehow first in line at the continental breakfast at the hotel in the morning.

He couldn't quite finish making his waffle though; he got bumped out of the way by a 14 year old girl named Maggie.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:47 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Squanto wrote:
I heard that Vanek was lagging behind the rest of his team to help unload their bags, but was somehow first in line at the continental breakfast at the hotel in the morning.

He couldn't quite finish making his waffle though; he got bumped out of the way by a 14 year old girl named Maggie.

Overall

Is it good news for the game?

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:20 am 
PP Quarterback

Squanto wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
As long as he tipped the waffle it's all good

End The Curse
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:25 am 
Star Sniper

A fully healthy lineup tonight, so no excuses to be anything less than their best.

Vanek/Roy/Pominville
MaCarthur/Connolly/Stafford
Hecht/Kennedy/Grier
Ellis/Gaustad/Kaleta

Myers/Tallinder
Rivet/Butler
Lydman/Montador

Miller in net.

I am confident our bottom two lines and goalie will produce, so let's just hope tonight the top six finally start pulling their weight, too.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

Dreakon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:28 am 
7th Defenseman

I have a good feeling about this game as well. But then again, I always seem to have a good feeling about games until they actually start lol.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:57 am 
Captain Dynasty

MacArthur will score eleventy goals.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:15 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Quote:
Sabres 5, Capitals 0 Wednesday, 04.08.2009 / 4:07 AM Associated Press THREE STAR SELECTIONS
VIDEO ›
1st Ryan Miller
Goalie - BUF
SAVE PCTG: 1.000
VIDEO ›
2nd Thomas Vanek
Left Wing - BUF
GOALS: 2 | PTS: 2
ASST: 0 | SOG: 4
+/-: 2
VIDEO ›
3rd Jason Pominville
Right Wing - BUF
GOALS: 1 | PTS: 2
ASST: 1 | SOG: 2
+/-: 1 BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek knew the Buffalo Sabres desperately needed a home win. A shutout was merely a bonus.

Miller stopped 29 shots for his eighth NHL shutout and Vanek scored twice as the Sabres (7-2-2) snapped a two-game losing skid with a 5-0 victory over the Washington Capitals on Saturday night.

"That was a lot better," Miller said of the Sabres' efforts after dropping consecutive 5-2 games at home this week to Ottawa and Tampa Bay. "We looked a lot sharper. We started off really well. To get a lead, protect it and battle through some penalty kills, it'll do more for us than coming back every night."

Vanek, leading the league with 11 goals, posted his third multigoal game of the season. He netted his first one 72 seconds into the game and got his second with less than three seconds remaining in the second period.

"Right now, I'm trying to stay hot," Vanek said. "The pucks bounced my way. I got rewarded for it. I'm not trying to think too much, just play and get the puck on net and take care of my opportunities."

Derek Roy, Jason Pominville, and Daniel Paille also scored for Buffalo. Andrej Sekera had two assists for the first multipoint game of his NHL career.

Buffalo's Tim Connolly played for the first time after missing the first 10 games of the season due hairline vertebrae fractures. He assisted on Roy's goal.

The Capitals (5-4-1), who lost for the seventh time in eight games in Buffalo, played without Alex Ovechkin for the second straight game as the defending league MVP was still in Russia visiting his ailing grandfather.

"I can definitely tell you there were guys out there not ready to play," Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau said. "We've got some great players, but Mike Green wasn't ready to play," he said. "Sasha (Sergei Fedorov) didn't come to play, and Viktor (Kozlov), and you can go on with some of our skilled players not ready to commit to playing a complete game."

The Sabres grabbed the momentum on Vanek's first goal, during which he took a lead pass on the left wing, moved easily past Green and deposited a shot through Jose Theodore's legs.

Buffalo then added early insurance on Roy's power-play goal about 12 minutes later, as he wristed a shot off Theodore's back from along the goal line. Pominville gave Buffalo a three-goal cushion with 24 seconds left in the period, grabbing a rebound and deking left on Theodore before going right for an easy slip-in.

Miller's biggest test came during a second-period flurry when Buffalo was two men short. He made four saves, including a pad stop on Green followed by a paddle save against Sergei Fedorov. On another power play later in the period, Miller made back-to-back saves on Green.

Washington held a 14-4 edge in shots during the frame but still trailed by four goals after Vanek's second of the night.

In the third period, Paille completed a give-and-go with Patrick Kaleta, scoring with eight minutes left.

From that point, Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff's goal was to preserve Miller's shutout.

"The last seven minutes I said we were playing for our goaltender," Ruff said. "We locked it down and didn't give up that great opportunity. Guys were real responsible, and that was important."

"It's always fun," Miller said. "It's a goaltender stat, but as a team we're trying to improve our goals-against and be good on the penalty kill. This is something they can look at and be proud of."

Notes: Miller's previous shutout was Feb. 13 against Toronto. ... Ovechkin is scheduled to rejoin the Capitals in time for Tuesday's game at Ottawa. ... Theodore has given up at least two goals in the first period in five of eight starts, but the Capitals are 3-2 in those games. ... Washington has allowed of its 32 goals in the first or final minute of a period. ... Buffalo enforcer Andrew Peters was scratched for the first time this season.

bigC24
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:38 pm 
Two-Way Center

Looking forward to the game tonight... we seem to play up to the level of our opponents (And down to their level, more often than not....) so I think tonight will be a lot of fun to watch.

Lets Go Buffalo!

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:18 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Yhoshi wrote:

You forgot the part where Miller says "ya know" every other word in his postgame interview.

iceilypolite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:29 pm 
Power Forward

Sabres need a confidence booster win and tonights game is the ticket!
Vanek will be first to score.....he's soooo due.

Lets Go SABRES!!!!!!!!!!!

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...
We are flexible like that ....

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:52 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

hallo?
ist da wer?

End The Curse
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:59 pm 
Star Sniper

Turkey in oven, kids not behaving, house a disaster...go Sabres!

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:04 pm 
Captain Dynasty

drink every time you see a commercial you've seen before

iceilypolite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:05 pm 
Power Forward

Grier is in......look out here we come!!

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...
We are flexible like that ....

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:05 pm 
Captain Clutch

End The Curse wrote:
Turkey in oven, kids not behaving, house a disaster...go Sabres!

Other than the turkey in the oven, you sure you're not over my house???

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next