It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:52 am 
Franchise Defenseman

:whistle:

Los9090
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:55 am 
Superstar Goalie

Okay...lets flush these guys further down the shitter!

AudSabres
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:58 am 
Superstar Goalie

Sabres aim to keep 'Canes winless on the road...

Last 10 - Carolina 3-5-2; Buffalo 4-5-1

Season series -- This is the first meeting of the season between the clubs. Last season, the teams split the four-game season series, with each team winning once at home. Carolina leads the all-time series 35-14-6-1 since moving from Hartford, including 17-8-3 at home and 18-6-3-1 on the road.

Big story -- The Sabres are on the road to recovery after a bruising 4-2 win over the always-dangerous Flyers on Friday ended a four-game winless streak. A four-point outburst from Tim Connolly helped Buffalo move to within a point of the Northeast Division lead behind Boston and Ottawa. The Sabres hope their offense re-awakens further against a Carolina team that is last in the East as they claw their way back up the Conference. The Hurricanes have won three of their last seven games after enduring a dreary 14-game winless streak. Carolina remains the only NHL club that is winless on the road in 2009-10, with a 0-9-3 mark away from the RBCCenter.

Team Scope:

Hurricanes -- The 'Canes failed to make it four straight at home on Friday with a 6-4 loss to the Thrashers. Things were looking good heading into the third period, with Carolina ahead 4-1 on goals by Erik Cole, Stephane Yelle, Sergei Samsonov and Matt Cullen. But Atlanta scored five goals and outshot the 'Canes 14-9 in the final 20 minutes.

"Maybe they felt it was a nice comfortable game," Carolina coach Paul Maurice said of his players after the loss to the Thrashers. "They were getting lots of chances and then decided the back half of the game wasn't too important to them in the third."

Sabres - Before Friday, Buffalo had not won since defeating the Flyers 3-2 at Philadelphia on Nov. 14 and now sits alone in the Eastern Conference's sixth seed with 28 points. An offense that has not produced has the team relying on the Vezina-caliber performances of Ryan Miller in net. It's difficult to see how Sabres would fare this season without Miller, who has allowed three or more goals just four times in 19 games this season, and has an NHL-best 1.98 goals against average.

Who's hot -- Experiencing good health this season has been beneficial for Tim Connolly; he has not gone more than three games without scoring at least one point. Connolly had an explosive game against the Flyers, with 2 assists and 2 goals, including one off a laser of a wrist shot that complements his world-class stick-handling skills. … After being shelved for nearly a month with an upper body injury, Hurricanes center Eric Staal has two points in his first two games back in a lineup hungry for production. Forward Jussi Jokinen is the only Carolina player with at least one point in each of the team's wins this season.

Injury report -- Now that Staal has returned from a 10-game absence, the Hurricanes hope that goaltender Cam Ward is able to recover sooner rather than later from a leg laceration. Ward's backup, Michael Leighton is battling groin problems, leaving the crease to Manny Legace for six straight games. Defenseman Joni Pitkanen is questionable for Saturday; the defensemen left Friday night's game after the second period with an upper-body injury. Carolina also has forward Scott Walker out indefinitely with an upper-body injury, while Casey Borer (neck) and Michael Ryan (concussion) remain sidelined. Meanwhile, just after the Sabres had returned to full strength Wednesday with the return of Mike Grier, both captain Craig Rivet (lower body) and checking center Paul Gaustad (undisclosed) went down in Friday's game with the Flyers. Their status is uncertain.

Stat pack -- Buffalo has not lost when leading after two periods, playing a tight game that has only seen them average 2.54 goals per game, 23rd in the NHL. Goals are even harder to come by for Carolina, which is last in the NHL in goals per game with 2.14, but were able to put four in their last meeting with Atlanta Friday night.

Puck drop -- "We stumbled at the end of the first period but for the next 40 minutes we battled good enough to win the game," Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff said of Buffalo's 4-2 over Philadelphia. "We're desperate. The number of games we've lost on the road you've got to show that desperation."

-This is going to be a real test for our boys. Our captain and one of our best forwards are out for tonight. Time to see if all this maturing and leadership lindy has been talking about our boys developing over the last seasons will pay off. Time to step it up boys.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Last edited by AudSabres on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Los9090
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:00 am 
Superstar Goalie

Wow, the Flushies haven't won an away contest yet.

John Vogl writes...
No, these Hurricanes have etched their name in the franchise record book as the worst- starting road team in history.

Carolina has yet to win away from home and carries an 0-9-3 road record into Buffalo. The Hurricanes set the franchise record with a 3-2 loss Wednesday in Anaheim. The previous mark was 11 straight without a win, set in 1981-82 when they were the Hartford Whalers.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:04 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Buffalo 5
NoOneCaresolina 1 (Even a blind redneck on skates scores a goal once in a while.)

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:06 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

What are the stories on Gaustad and Rivet? I'm shocked to find no thread or threads on the topic here. You guys are slipping.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:12 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Nothing's really come out that I have seen on those guys. I'd say Goose is a maybe, but unless Rivet has the ankles of Gumby, no way he plays tonight.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:32 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

i dont want to see Vanek in the first line.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:00 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

After a big night, you probably don't want to break up the Connolly/MacArthur/Stafford line. Just give them more time and call that the #1 line. I thought Kennedy/Hecht/Grier was an effective line yesterday too, so I'd keep that one together.

Especially if Gaustad is out, I don't think breaking up the lines is a good idea. Just put Mair or Ellis in Gaustad's spot and hope for the best.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:21 pm 
Captain Dynasty

fuck the canes. that is all.

Los9090
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:30 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Squanto wrote:
Nothing's really come out that I have seen on those guys. I'd say Goose is a maybe, but unless Rivet has the ankles of Gumby, no way he plays tonight.

Yeah, it was discussed on one of the threads here. I'm really anxious to hear the extent of the injuries

Wyohomeboy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:58 pm 
Power Forward

Hey,

The old site is good for something once in awhile!@!

Saturday, 11.28.2009 / 11:36 AM / Blogs - Beyond the Boards
Getty Images
Head Coach Lindy Ruff had some good news to report on the injury front following Saturday’s morning skate, saying that captain Craig Rivet may not miss as much time as anticipated.

The defenseman was helped off the ice in the third period of Friday’s 4-2 win in Philadelphia after being hit by Flyers’ Arron Asham.

Although the news is good, Rivet will not be in the lineup tonight due to what Ruff classified as a “little bit of ankle, little bit of knee” injury.

Paul Gaustad, however, may miss a couple of weeks with a knee injury he suffered against the Flyers.

The centerman was hurt after attempting to check along the boards.

“On the whole I’m pleased… with the fact that Rivet’s [injury] isn’t as near as serious as we thought. Gaustad’s is serious, but you’ve got to get through it.”

The Sabres may also be short another forward pending Pat Kaleta’s hearing with the League this morning. Kaleta received a five-minute penalty and game misconduct for boarding Jared Ross in the first period.

“I’m anticipating with the hearing with Pat Kaleta that we may have a suspension there so that would mean that Nathan [Paetsch] and Matt Ellis [would play as forwards] and Andrej [Sekera] would go on defense,” Ruff said.

The morning skate was optional on Saturday at HSBC Arena. Game time is 7 p.m.

I can't believe they're thinking of giving Kaleta a suspension after not giving Ovie one for his hit on Kaleta....Oh yeah I forgot the untouchable star player clause in the CBA, I guess it would be OK.

Los9090
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:16 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Yeah, and Kaleta might get suspended. On the bright side, at least Paetsch will get some playing time

iceilypolite
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:33 pm 
Power Forward

"With Carolina ahead 4 to 1".....Can you imagine our message boards if that were the Sabres and they lost that kind of a lead in the third???!!!

Sabres need to rise to their potential tonight and not get lazy with Carolina. An early lead in the first boyz!!

Goooooooo Sabres!!!!!!!!!

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...
We are flexible like that ....

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:50 pm 
Cup Winner

My bad, I forgot to make this GDT.

Well lets hope for a win while I am at hell, and by hell I mean work.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

ItsMe
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:59 pm 
Penalty Killer

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
After a big night, you probably don't want to break up the Connolly/MacArthur/Stafford line. Just give them more time and call that the #1 line. I thought Kennedy/Hecht/Grier was an effective line yesterday too, so I'd keep that one together.

Especially if Gaustad is out, I don't think breaking up the lines is a good idea. Just put Mair or Ellis in Gaustad's spot and hope for the best.

This is one of the maddening things that Ruff has a history of....a line that jells one game gets broken half way into the next game.....

I hope another win for us. It will be close but we will pull it off in a last minute nail biter......

BS1970
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:25 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I have a lot riding on this game. If the Sabres blow it, I'll never hear the end of it.

Go Sabres!!

Image Image
We truly are not worthy of Miller!

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:28 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
My bad, I forgot to make this GDT.

Well lets hope for a win while I am at hell, and by hell I mean work.

yea.... so we opened it together.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:47 pm 
Star Sniper

Shakira in the lineup?? Yikes, she is too soft for my liking, I'd prefer Weber play.

A must win game following a gritty effort in Philly.....

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:55 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Two things:
1. Fuck the No One Caresolina Hurrican'ts.
2. Let's go Buffalo!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next