It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 495 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:21 pm 
Captain Clutch

Image VS Image

I, like most of us, were very disappointed with the Sabres performance Monday night. I expect them to come out looking for blood. I also do apologize for the delay posting the thread, I had to stay late at work

Courtesy of Associated Press:
Quote:
Capitals-Sabres Preview

A two-game suspension didn't hinder Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin's momentum. Matchups with the Buffalo Sabres haven't rattled Ovechkin, either.

Following a successful return to the Capitals' lineup, Ovechkin looks to continue his success against the Sabres on Wednesday night.

Ovechkin was impressive after a one-week absence, scoring two goals to lead Washington (19-5-6) to a 3-0 win over Tampa Bay on Monday night. The Capitals have a six-game winning streak even though Ovechkin missed two games due to a suspension by the NHL following a kneeing penalty in a 3-2 win at Carolina on Nov. 30.

Despite the time off, Ovechkin looked sharp in increasing his goal total to 20 in 22 games.

"The first period I was just trying to get into the game," Ovechkin said. "I understand I didn't play for two games, so I think my teammates did a great job trying to get the puck to me."

Ovechkin seems to have a good opportunity to keep continue his strong play. He has eight goals and two assists in his last eight games versus the Sabres (16-9-2), who have lost two straight.

He will, though, likely have to contend with Buffalo goaltender Ryan Miller, who leads the NHL with a 1.90 goals-against average.

Washington has certainly been happy with its own No. 1 goalie, Semyon Varlamov, who is 12-1-2 with a 2.21 GAA. He had 26 saves against the Lightning to earn his second shutout in four games, including a 2-0 victory over Buffalo on Nov. 25.

"I think the world will start to get to know him as the season progresses," Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau said of the 21-year old Varlamov, a first-round pick in 2006. "He's going to be a special athlete."

Varlamov got some help against Tampa Bay, with Shaone Morrison returning to add some more toughness to the blue line. He missed the previous eight games due to a concussion.

Buffalo was without defenseman Chris Butler (ankle) and right wing Mike Grier (personal reasons) in a 3-0 loss to New Jersey on Monday night, falling to 1-2 on a five-game homestand. There is no timetable for their return.

After allowing two goals or fewer in seven straight games, Miller made 34 saves against the Devils and got little help from a Sabres team bottled up by the Devils' forecheck.

Miller has helped Buffalo overcome its offensive shortcomings, but the Sabres have scored just one goal combined in losing their last two games and have been held to two goals or fewer in five of their last seven home games.

The Sabres haven't scored a power-play goal in their last four games, going 0 for 11.

Tim Connolly, whose 15 assists and 21 points tie him for the team lead with Derek Roy, has been held off the scoresheet in five straight games.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:40 pm 
Star Sniper

At last, a legitimate gameday thread! Thank you, sir.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

daz28
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:12 pm 
Star Sniper

Connolly no points in 5 and no PP goals in 4 as a team. Seems these 2 things are intertwined.

If this was Max, he'd be in the booth fish show.

I also see we've scored 2 or less in 5 of our last 7 AT HOME. Is THAT a cold streak or what??

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:23 pm 
Captain Clutch

End The Curse wrote:

No problem ETC :D

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:35 pm 
Cup Winner

Well, Lalime is most likely starting, so unless the Sabres play amazingly, or he stands on his head we will probably lose this game.

I hope we dismantle them, and OV gets nothing, but if we get destroy, I hope OV scores 3 goals and has like 5 assists, just to help me in fantasy.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:56 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I am not looking forward to this game.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:59 pm 
Star Sniper

We're going to play really well...not necessarily win, but we'll make a much better showing than we did last night.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:36 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Gosh, I'm scared of the Caps. Held them to 2 last time, but I doubt we will this time, especially if Lalime is in net. We gotta score some goals!

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:09 am 
Franchise Defenseman

End The Curse wrote:

like alll the others.

sabretime30
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:20 am 
Brawler

I don't really know how I feel about the overall game. I think either Lalime will need to show up big time or we'll need at least 3 goals.

However I wonder if Patty K will be taking a run at OV :evil: after his hit last time these two teams met.

Check out Lindy's thoughts on OV per wgr550.com

"I think he's a dirty player you'd love to have," Lindy Ruff said.
Quite true

http://www.wgr550.com/Ovie-Coming/5853992

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:22 am 
Franchise Defenseman

rbochan wrote:

TV CAT SEZ:

No Grier, No Gaustad: No Guts, No Goals.

Image : PLEASE, TV CAT, MAKE THE TEAM WINNING THIS GAME!
Here some gooooood stuff for you!Image

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:26 am 
Captain Dynasty

Lalime has to win one sooner or later.

sabretime30
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:27 am 
Brawler

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:

Let's hope so! and that it's sooner rather than later ;)

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:46 am 
Sober enough to run a server

Ovie goes knee-on-knee with a goal post...Lalime gets the last shut-out of his career :D

jplate3
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:52 am 
Rink Rat

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:

Anyone confirm who's starting tonight, though?

This is the second article I've read today that has predicted the Caps will have a rough time keeping their streak going because they have to face Miller. And, watching the Isles/Flyers game on VS last night, one of their 'casters said something to the same effect. I've seen no indication that Lalime is starting tonight.

capitals.nhl.com wrote:
Caps Seek Seventh Straight vs. Sabres
Mike Vogel - WashingtonCaps.com Senior Writer
December 9 vs. Buffalo Sabres at HSBC Arena
Time: 7:00 pm
TV: Comcast SportsNet
Radio: 820AM, 1500AM and XM
Pre-Game: Capitals Report/Pre-Cap Podcast at 2 p.m. on washingtoncaps.com

Washington Capitals (19-5-6)
Buffalo Sabres (16-9-2)

What the Sabres do have going for them is Ryan Miller between the pipes. Miller’s 1.90 GAA and his .935 save pct. place him at the top of the NHL’s heap in both categories. Miller carries a heavy workload every year, and he is doing so again in 2009-10. He has started 24 of the Sabres’ first 27 games, including each of the last seven.

Recently, Buffalo assigned back-up netminder Patrick Lalime to its Portland affiliate in the AHL in an effort to get him some playing time.

And from the Sabres own preview:

Who's hot -- For the Capitals, Alexander Semin had two more assists Monday night, giving him eight points (2-6-8) in his last three games. For the Sabres, goalie Ryan Miller has continued to play well despite the back-to-back losses. He stopped 34 of 37 shots against New Jersey and 30 of 32 against New York. He has an NHL-best .935 save percentage and 1.90 goals-against average.

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:36 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

So will it be Patty in net tonight? Confuzzled.

slesh
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:42 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I don't see Buf pulling this one out tonight, there record against more talented squads is not good, as a matter of fact.

Detroit, Calgary and the Devils x 1, thats it.
They have lost to the Bruins, Thrashers, Sens and Rangers.

I want them to stop this nonsense and kick the crapola out of the Caps tonight. Give us some hope, please.

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:45 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

let's see if ovechkin can control himself as well hopefully the NHL's disciplinary committee is watching everyone these days. though it wouldn't surprise me if ovechkin tried something and got away with it.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:46 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Timbo Slice wrote:

WGR is reporting on sports updates that Miller is playing.

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:10 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Squanto wrote:
Timbo Slice wrote:

WGR is reporting on sports updates that Miller is playing.

Huh. Interesting. Not sure how I feel about this....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 495 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next