It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:48 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Image VS Image
Blackhawks (19-7-3) versus Sabres (17-9-2)

[courtesy of AP]
Quote:
The addition of Marian Hossa has helped the Chicago Blackhawks continue their strong play, but they've had some difficulty finding the back of the net recently.

Chicago could catch a break Friday night when it travels to face the Buffalo Sabres, potentially facing former teammate Patrick Lalime instead of one of the league's top goaltenders, Ryan Miller.

After rehabbing for nearly two months from offseason shoulder surgery, Hossa - signed by the Blackhawks for $62.8 million over 12 years - made a splash with two goals in his debut with the team, a 7-2 victory at San Jose on Nov. 25.

Chicago (19-7-3) has tallied nine total goals - four by Jonathan Toews - in six games since then, but the Central Division leaders are 3-2-1 in that span, including consecutive 2-1 overtime victories over Pittsburgh last Saturday and the New York Rangers on Wednesday.

"We'll take the wins and worry about how we win later," coach Joel Quenneville said.

Despite a 41-18 advantage in shots on goal, the Blackhawks were held scoreless by the visiting Rangers until Toews scored the tying goal with 5:55 remaining in regulation.

In overtime, 6-foot-4, 257-pound Dustin Byfuglien swept around the New York defense for the winning score.

"It was the highlight of the year," Quenneville said. "Great speed, great presence of mind. He cut in. Nice finish as well."

Toews had a goal and an assist in last season's 4-1 home victory over the Sabres. Lalime, who played two seasons in Chicago before signing with Buffalo for 2008-09, took the loss in that matchup. Current Blackhawks starter Cristobal Huet stopped 22 shots to beat him.

Published reports in Buffalo indicate Lalime could get another start against his former team Friday. Buffalo (17-9-2) might opt to rest Miller - among the league leaders with a 1.82 goals-against average - for a more important Eastern Conference matchup Saturday night, against the Rangers in the opener of a three-game road trip.

Miller helped the Sabres avoid a three-game slide Wednesday night with a 35-save effort and his fourth shutout of the season, 3-0 over visiting Washington, the league's highest-scoring team.

"We all knew what was at stake," Miller said after his eighth straight start. "You can't lose three in a row and call yourself a top team. You have to keep pace with the big teams, and we got back on our feet."

Lalime, meanwhile, has a 4.55 GAA in three appearances this season and hasn't played since giving up five goals at Ottawa on Nov. 21. He's also endured hip and groin injuries over the past two years.

Lalime is 2-5-2 with a 3.17 GAA against the Blackhawks.

Huet, who used to play for the Sabres' Northeast Division rival Montreal, is 6-2-1 with a 1.86 GAA in his last nine games against Buffalo. Backup Antti Niemi has never faced the Sabres.

This is the first visit to Buffalo for the Blackhawks since a 3-1 loss Dec. 15, 2007. They haven't won there since a 6-5 victory Dec. 19, 2001.

20 Cent, Soupy and the Blackhawks bring their game to Buffalo to play Lalime (wait, what?), Myers and the Sabres at 7:30PM EST. Game is on MSG and WGR.

If Lindy does start Lalime, he'll have picked a helluva team to give him a chance for his first win against. The Blackhawks bring their division-leading 41 points with them to the City of Good Neighbors, and they have a stable of scoring threats. If there is one weakness on their roster, it's their goaltending.

The Sabres bring with them their own weak goaltending if they go with Lalime. Seemingly untrusted by Ruff, Lalime will need to prove he can win tonight if the Sabres are to rest Ryan Miller for the Olympics and a hopeful deep playoff run. The team needs to play their game in front of Lalime with some added defensiveness if they hope to contain an explosive Chicago team.

Look for RJ and Harry to talk about the comparisons between Myers and Brian Campbell, Patrick Kane and Tim Kennedy both being South Buffalo boys, and the game possibly being a proving point for this team that seeks to distinguish itself from seasons past.

For added fun, keep track of Myers TOI via NHL.com's Gamecenter and watch Dustin Byfuglien power his way around the ice with impunity.

Last edited by mechaphil on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:50 pm 
More Heart Than Skill

Win or lose, I want to see Lalime play a solid game. That being said, I really, really just want them to win.

Ham

End The Curse
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:54 pm 
Star Sniper

Great, great, GDT, Phil. Loved the jerseys, the clever write-up, the on-time delivery...BRAVO! :clap:

I say we play well, and I'll even go out on a limb and give a hopeful prediction of a 6-5 shootout win for Patty Sieve.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:57 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Thanks, ETC. It's a new format I wanted to try out. Full credit goes to JerseyDatabase.com for the jerseys.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:13 pm 
Cup Winner

It's a shame whoever made the Sabres third made the thing super blurry, the AA in the logo is terrible.

But I'm hoping to continue our dominance of the West tomorrow.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:15 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

That's right...the Sabres have been doing very well against the other conference so far.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:48 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I never got all the love for the hawks jersey. It's alright.

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:09 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Kinda scared of the Hawks. Okay, I'm terrified of the Hawks. Especially with La-La-La-La-La-Lalime in net. I want to hear RJ say that, by the way...won't be able to see the game, but I'll try to listen as much as possible.

Wyohomeboy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:12 pm 
Power Forward

Lets try to make Dustin feel at home in Buffalo, and hope he comes here permanently over the summer!!

I was shocked by the terrific effort last game, and hope for a similar outing against the hawks. Always interesting to see there seven million dollar mofo when he is in town - how many spinorama's do you think we will see, by said mofo?

SchonyGal
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:13 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

mechaphil wrote:
20 Cent

Maybe I could make a sign:

"Candy Kanes for Sale - 20 cents each. Exact change only" :o :lol:

Look for me just before the turn in the third row - section 119 :D

mechaphil
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:14 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Wyohomeboy wrote:
Lets try to make Dustin feel at home in Buffalo, and hope he comes here permanently over the summer!!

I was shocked by the terrific effort last game, and hope for a similar outing against the hawks. Always interesting to see there seven million dollar mofo when he is in town - how many spinorama's do you think we will see, by said mofo?

This will be the first ever game he has played in Buffalo not as a Sabre, so expect booing and lots of it. Some players deserved a booing (or not, given your view on Max's departure), but Soupy never played with himself due to selfish antics. His play declined when the contract stuff started to weigh down on him. I hope he doesn't get booed. Some fans will boo him just because he asked us not to.

Last edited by mechaphil on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:21 pm 
Captain Dynasty

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$oupy

iceilypolite
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:06 am 
Power Forward

Bummer...I will miss this game and the Ranger game. :(

Gooooooooooooo Sabres!! Score :dance: ....score :dance: .....score :dance: !!!! :D :D

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...
We are flexible like that ....

End The Curse
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:11 am 
Star Sniper

iceilypolite wrote:
Bummer...I will miss this game and the Ranger game. :(

Gooooooooooooo Sabres!! Score :dance: ....score :dance: .....score :dance: !!!! :D :D

Me2...will be away at my inlaws.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:37 am 
Page Side

You know... as much as my head is angry about Lalime starting for this game, I have a good feeling about this one.

Sometimes you can just sense it. I think we'll win on Friday.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:38 am 
Page Side

SchonyGal wrote:
mechaphil wrote:
20 Cent

Maybe I could make a sign:

"Candy Kanes for Sale - 20 cents each. Exact change only" :o :lol:

Look for me just before the turn in the third row - section 119 :D

DO.... IT! PLEASE! YOU WILL DEFINITELY GET ON TV. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fly as hale
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:48 am 
Mrs. Miller

I'm going to this game. Pretty excited, although I'm a little nervous about Lalime most likely getting the start. We'll see how that goes. Looking forward to seeing Soupy back in the HSBC Arena. I hope no one boos him, but I'm sure it'll happen...

Hockey Night in Buffalo

daz28
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:10 am 
Star Sniper

Miller said after his eighth straight start. "You can't lose three in a row and call yourself a top team.

Apparently Ryan hasn't been introduced to the exuberant fan yet.

...and maybe he should have said "he" can't lose 3 in a row. The team is riding his back right now.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:42 am 
Star Sniper

You'd have to be a complete dumbshit to suggest that it's somehow tainted if you win with elite goaltending. It's critical to have a top goalie and great defense if you plan on making a run at the cup, and the Sabres are getting that. No apologies or asterisks required.

daz28
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:15 am 
Star Sniper

End The Curse wrote:
You'd have to be a complete dumbshit to suggest that it's somehow tainted if you win with elite goaltending. It's critical to have a top goalie and great defense if you plan on making a run at the cup, and the Sabres are getting that. No apologies or asterisks required.

So you're saying it's good to have a better goalie than a shitty one??

I don't recall saying anything to the contrary. I said "the team is riding it's goalie right now". Not sure how you misinterpreted that.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next