It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
sabresindc
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:05 am 
Captain Clutch

Image VS Image

Courtesy of Sabres.com
Quote:
Miller looks to stay hot as Sabres visit Maple Leafs
Brian Hunter - NHL.com Staff Writer

MAPLE LEAFS (12-15-7) at SABRES (20-10-2)

Last 10: Toronto 6-4-0; Buffalo 7-3-0

Season series: Third of six meetings this season between Northeast Division rivals. The Sabres have taken the first two matchups. Tim Connolly scored on a power play 1:04 into overtime on Oct. 30 to give them a 3-2 win in Buffalo. Ryan Miller stopped all 38 shots he faced at Air Canada Centre exactly one month later in a 3-0 victory.

Big story: There seems to be little question Miller has earned the right to start for the U.S. in the upcoming Olympic Games, what with his service time in the NHL and the stellar play this season that has made him a frontrunner for the Vezina Trophy. But the people who will be making the decisions for Team USA, Brian Burke and Ron Wilson, also happen to be GM and coach, respectively, of the Leafs. Does that give Miller any special incentive to put on a show when these teams meet? After the last game in Toronto, the Leafs certainly seemed to believe it.

"Their goalie over there has stolen two games against us," forward Matt Stajan said. "I don't know what it is. Maybe his Team U.S. coach and GM are on our side, he wants to prove something? I don't know what it is, but he's one of the best and you've got to give him credit."

Team Scope:

Maple Leafs: After winning six of its first eight games in December and eight of 11 overall, Toronto was cooled off a bit Wednesday in a 6-3 loss to Phoenix that ended its ACC winning streak at four games. The Coyotes raced out to a 5-1 lead by late in the second period and held off the Leafs from there.

"They were kind of swarming everywhere, in our zone and their zone, and they made us look pretty bad," defenseman Jeff Finger told the Toronto Star. "It's difficult to bring it maybe mentally every single night like we have been. It was a letdown, bottom line."

Sabres: Miller leads the League in goals-against average and save percentage and is tied for the lead in shutouts, but on Wednesday he was outdone by his counterpart on Ottawa, Brian Elliott. The second-year netminder turned away all 22 Buffalo shots, defeating the Sabres, 2-0.

"Not real impressive on our part," Miller said. "Ottawa played a pretty solid game, but we've got to be better. … I don't think we generated enough on the front end. They put a game plan together and did it a little bit better than us."

Who's hot: The Leafs' top line continues to click. Forward Matt Stajan has two goals and six points over the last three games. Phil Kessel has three goals and five points and Alexei Ponikarovsky has two goals and five points during that span.

While the Sabres were blanked against the Senators, forward Patrick Kaleta had three goals in the two games before that, including shorthanders against both the Rangers and Canadiens.

Injury report: Toronto will get goalie Jonas Gustavsson back after he missed a couple weeks following a procedure to fix an elevated heart rate. The rookie will dress as Vesa Toskala's backup. Forward John Mitchell and defensemen Carl Gunnarsson and Mike Van Ryn are on injured reserve.

Buffalo will also get back a player, as forward Paul Gaustad returns after missing 10 games with a leg injury. However, they could be without Kaleta. He missed practice Thursday with what coach Lindy Ruff termed a stiff neck after a check into the boards by Ottawa's Jarkko Ruutu, who earned a five-minute major on the play. Forward Nathan Gerbe (groin) is also a question mark. Defenseman Chris Butler (ankle) will not play.

Stat pack: It's been all or nothing for the Sabres of late offensively. They've won eight of their last 12, averaging 3.8 goals in the victories but getting shut out by the Capitals, Devils and Senators and going 59 minutes without a goal in the other loss to the Rangers.

Puck drop: In addition to Gustavsson's return, the Leafs have called up forward Viktor Stalberg and will dress defenseman Luke Schenn, who had been a healthy scratch for the past three games.

"We want to have options," Wilson told the Toronto Star in regards to Stalberg's recall. "We have 12 forwards right now and our team is a little bit tired. We've had so many games and not enough time to practice and I want a little more speed in the lineup, especially with a couple of games this weekend."

The Goose is back after a 10 day hiatus but Pattymouth may not be....

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:15 am 
More Heart Than Skill

Welcome back, Goose! I'm concerned about this game. Has the team recovered enough from their food poisoning issues? Is Toronto finally turning a corner? I'm seriously worried about this one. Hope the boys can put it together.

Ham

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:03 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

HONK!

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:12 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Gooooooooooooooooooose!

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:21 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

AHHHHHHH!

LET ME BE!!

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:30 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Sweet...so is Patty a game time decision?

And is Miller officially starting?

EDIT: never mind the Miller question yes he's starting
http://www.wgr550.com/Gaustad-Ready-To- ... bt/5918316

AudSabres
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:39 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Patty mouth won't be in the lineup, either.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/podcastplaye ... &iid=18235

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:43 pm 

AudSabres wrote:
Patty mouth won't be in the lineup, either.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/podcastplaye ... &iid=18235

Poop....that boy is going to have a career shortened by concussions I fear.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:45 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Speaking of, hockey has officially been linked to long-term brain damage due to repeated trauma to the head

Read about it here.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:53 pm 

mechaphil wrote:
Speaking of, hockey has officially been linked to long-term brain damage due to repeated trauma to the head

Read about it here.

No, no...they've got it backwards. The brain damage is a prerequisite to play the game...it doesn't cause it.
:lol:

sabretime30
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:00 pm 
Brawler

In the audio clip Lindy stated that he's glad the team is feeling back to normal and better, so can this change his mind about Miller starting tonight?

The statement comes around 1:10 in until about 1:32...

Do you think he'll give Patty a start pending how he feels closer to the game?

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:06 pm 

sabretime30 wrote:

At the very beginning of the clip he says Patty is day to day and they'll look at him again tomorrow...so I would say that rules him out for tonight.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:09 pm 
Captain Dynasty

finally, a gdt....with game day almost half over.

Honk.

sabretime30
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:10 pm 
Brawler

Crosscheck wrote:
sabretime30 wrote:

At the very beginning of the clip he says Patty is day to day and they'll look at him again tomorrow...so I would say that rules him out for tonight.

I meant Patty as in Lalime haha that was my fault.
Do you think he'll give Lalime the start pending how he feels close to game time? Let's try that again ahha :lol:

Wyohomeboy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:15 pm 
Power Forward

My sentiments for the day, this is how I feel after the last game, although I am remaining optimistic!!

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:15 pm 

sabretime30 wrote:
I meant Patty as in Lalime haha that was my fault.
Do you think he'll give Lalime the start pending how he feels close to game time? Let's try that again ahha :lol:

hehehe...too many Pats

Quote:
Ruff said he is still planning to use Lalime in one of the two games this weekend. However, Lalime told us that he will not start in goal tomorrow against the Maple Leafs.

http://www.wgr550.com/Gaustad-Ready-To- ... bt/5918316

Miller tonight.

sabretime30
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:18 pm 
Brawler

Yes I took a look at that article, but I believe it was written yesterday when I'm guessing Lalime wasn't feeling to well. Im assuming he's doing better today. I guess only time will tell? or maybe I'm just trying to help myself think I'll see miller in net tomorrow against the Pens when I travel down to HSBC :lol:

I guess one can hope? :pray:

sabresindc
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:37 pm 
Captain Clutch

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
finally, a gdt....with game day almost half over.

Honk.

Yeah, I checked the December GDT thread this morning after seeing no GDT for tonight. There was some confusion between Patriot, Phil and Schony about who had what dates. I have a feeling Patriot didn't know SG assigned him tonight's game so I took it upon myself to get it going.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:38 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Yea my only other GDT this month is the Caps, so I didn't even bother checking what's up with everything until it's my night lol

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:18 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

werd ma des spiel gebn, aba i hoff dass ned so vü schas gepostet wird. a wengal mehr niveau wär a ned des schlechteste und weniger schlechte witze, des wars.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next