It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:52 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Image VERSUS Image

SABRES (22-10-3)
Who's Hot: Ryan Miller (.938 SV% and 1.89 GAA - both absurd numbers), and no one else statistically-speaking
Who's Injured: Butler (not for much longer?), Myers (but is he really? The kid is a robot, I think), Kaleta (aw shit, not again), and Gerbe (c'mon kid, get healthy - you looked good out there)
Who's Ice Cold: The Hockey Player Formerly Known As Tim Connolly

CAPITALS (22-8-6)
Who's Hot: Alex Ovechkin (as always)
Who's Injured: Dunno...no preview up yet, and I'm too lazy to get digging.
Who's Ice Cold: The Caps' PP has been getting colder, but not as ice cold as the Sabres'.

It's been a story of shutouts this season for these two clubs, as both games so far in the season series have been decided as such. On Nov. 25, the Caps held the Sabres silent during a 2-0 victory in Washington. On Dec. 9, the Sabres returned the favor with a masterful defensive performance against a lethal offense, winning 3-0 at HSBC Arena.

Who knows which Sabres team shows up for this match - the club that plays light's out defense and scores timely goals, or the club that has to stop effing around and claw their way back. Whichever club shows up, one thing is certain...the Sabres are winning either way.

In order to pull ahead in the season series, the road warrior Sabres need to play Lindy's slowly-perfecting system. When they stray, they struggle, but when they adhere, they look smart and dangerous.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:22 pm 
Hart Winner

Bit early isn't it? But great vid.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:23 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

BlueandYellow wrote:

GDT's are s'posed to be up 24 hours in advance.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:48 pm 
Hart Winner

mechaphil wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

GDT's are s'posed to be up 24 hours in advance.

Oh that sucks! I will never be able to do one then...

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:44 pm 
Captain Dynasty

niiice

iceilypolite
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:11 pm 
Power Forward

I love seeing us as #1. Washington has had an extra day of rest on us. :(
I hope they give us all an early Christmas present tomorrow night!!

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...
We are flexible like that ....

fly as hale
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:59 am 
Mrs. Miller

Grrr...I won't be able to watch this game either because of work. I missed the Leafs game and I forgot to record it too. Working during the games blows. :(

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:18 am 
Garbage Man

For a team that has gotten off to such a good start to the season, it is still difficult to gage if this year's Sabres are the real deal (we're still last in the league in the powerplay on the road).

There are currently six teams that have more points than we do - S.J., Chicago, and Colorado in the West and New Jersey, Pittsburgh, and Washington in the East. Our record against the teams who are better than we are (on paper at least) is 3-2-1. We split two games with NJ, two games with Washington, beat Chicago, and lost in OT against the Pens.

This is one of those games that will help determine if we belong with this year's elite teams or are just in middle of the pack. The Caps record versus the elite teams (and Buffalo) is 3-3-1, with three losses coming at the hands of New Jersey, which is looking like the beast of the East (they've owned both Washington and Pittsburgh).

It's fun to beat up on Toronto, but I want these guys to take it to the NHL's best. And let's do it with some scoring. Eighteen teams in the NHL have recorded hat tricks so far this season. This is a good game for Buffalo to be added to that list.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:17 am 
Superstar Goalie

Godzilla1960 wrote:
For a team that has gotten off to such a good start to the season, it is still difficult to gage if this year's Sabres are the real deal (we're still last in the league in the powerplay on the road).

There are currently six teams that have more points than we do - S.J., Chicago, and Colorado in the West and New Jersey, Pittsburgh, and Washington in the East. Our record against the teams who are better than we are (on paper at least) is 3-2-1. We split two games with NJ, two games with Washington, beat Chicago, and lost in OT against the Pens.

This is one of those games that will help determine if we belong with this year's elite teams or are just in middle of the pack. The Caps record versus the elite teams (and Buffalo) is 3-3-1, with three losses coming at the hands of New Jersey, which is looking like the beast of the East (they've owned both Washington and Pittsburgh).

It's fun to beat up on Toronto, but I want these guys to take it to the NHL's best. And let's do it with some scoring. Eighteen teams in the NHL have recorded hat tricks so far this season. This is a good game for Buffalo to be added to that list.

Decent points you made there, 'Zilla.

I'd love to see one of our boys pot 3 in a game as well. Right now, I'm happy with the scoring (somewhat) being spread around. Scoring from all areas really gets the boys goin. Granted, I wouldn't be upset if one of our top six would score a hatty one of these nights :P

For me, I damn near shat myself when watching TSN not too long ago and the panel said this Sabres team is the real deal and could be considered a legit contender this season. I was like :shock: Then again, it was against Toronto on Friday night so it was pretty much a given that we'd look good against them. :lol: But I'll agree. Looking at the top teams we've played this season, we're pretty much mid pack right now. Splits with NJ and the Crapitals, beating Chi-town and loosing out in a close one to the pens, a win tonight would really help in looking at the big picture on the season if we are in fact, a legit contender. There is still plenty of games left on the season. Some of those games were 4 point nights. Those close games against the division teams are what will make or break this team this year. Looking back at the last 2 seasons and barely missing out on the playoffs, even just one of those games we lost in OT are what did us in (in a sense). So, I say, lets blow the doors off the scoring, run the board on any team we can to get the confidence flowing!!!

When you score, you win. When you win, it feels good. When it feels good, score again!!!

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

slesh
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:42 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Tim Kennedy (my pick for a hat trick tonight)

Ovechkin (crying in his vodka after the game)

Myers (+3 with 1 goal and 3 assists tonight)

Grier (the anti-Ovechkin)

Connolly (thats right, he scores tonight)

Miller (his 5th shutout of the season, 40+ saves)

Buffalo 5 - Washington 0

Pessimism out, Optimism in :)

iceilypolite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:27 pm 
Power Forward

Zilla thanks for the break down on stats!! Beautiful job!

Aud, I think your comments should be printed and sent to the locker room tonight.....actually ditto for Zilla's! I think the boys would benefit from them before they hit the ice!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I want to see confident puck control with our passes. No hot potato!

Goooooooooooooooo Sabres!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

We simply continue to fly.........on a broomstick...
We are flexible like that ....

Wyohomeboy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:21 pm 
Power Forward

I will be on the road to the ice fishing grounds during this one - thank goodness gracious for XM!!

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:37 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Any word on Myers and Kaleta?

motzie12ak
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:39 pm 
Garbage Man

Myers should be playing, he didn't practice this morning just to rest up but he said he'll be good to go tonight. No word on Kaleta that I know of

fly as hale
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:41 pm 
Mrs. Miller

Based on the just-concluded morning skate here at KCI, it looks like rookie Michal Neuvirth will start tonight against Ryan Miller and the Sabres at Verizon Center.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capita ... art-1.html

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:49 pm 
Garbage Man

Crosscheck wrote:
Any word on Myers and Kaleta?

CBC is reporting that Kaleta is questionable.

There's something about the Sabres for Ovechkin
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2 ... ml?ref=rss

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:00 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Here's an amazing quote from that article:

Quote:
It would be mistaken to think that Miller is forever bailing out his defence. Truly a group whose sum is greater than its parts, every current regular on the blue-line has a plus rating

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:17 pm 
Penalty Killer

NYIntensity wrote:

Quote:
It would be mistaken to think that Miller is forever bailing out his defence. Truly a group whose sum is greater than its parts, every current regular on the blue-line has a plus rating

Okay, enlighten me. Why is this an amazing quote? Is it the fact that someone noticed??
Just curious.

slesh
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:19 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

NYIntensity wrote:

Quote:

Well, I support this comment. I believe the defense is playing very well this season. The resurgence of Tallinder, the edition of Myers, Sekera's skating abilities and Montadors toughness I'm sure are all contributing factors.

I don't like Butler too much, seems to be mistake prone, and Lydman hasn't impressed me either. Rivet appears to be stable.
I would venture to say that yea, the defense is alot better this season, but then again, Miller has been just amazing when he has been called upon.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:28 pm 
Captain Clutch

Nuthatch wrote:
NYIntensity wrote:

Quote:

Okay, enlighten me. Why is this an amazing quote? Is it the fact that someone noticed??
Just curious.

I think that's the point. Everyone is making a big deal that Miller is the best goalie in the NHL (which they should) but no one has noticed the support he's getting this year. We haven't had a defense with a plus rating in years

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next