It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
Montalo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:15 pm 
PP Quarterback

Image@Image

Penguins back in action as Sabres pay visit
Brian Hunter - NHL.com Staff Writer
Stats
53 GP 56
32 W 34
14 L 21
7 OT 1
71 P 69
0.670 P% 0.616
2.76 G/G 3.00
2.30 GA/G 2.80
18.4 PP% 16.0
87.2 PK% 83.3
31.2 S/G 32.6
31.7 SA/G 29.0
48.4 FO% 48.8
Date Vis/Home Final
Dec 29, 2009 PIT@BUF BUF, 4 - 3
Dec 19, 2009 PIT@BUF PIT, 2 - 1
SABRES (32-14-7) at PENGUINS (34-21-1)

Last 10: Buffalo 4-3-3; Pittsburgh 6-4-0

Season Series: Third of four meetings this season. Each team has won once at HSBC Arena in Buffalo. The Penguins drew first blood with a 2-1 shootout win on Dec. 19, with Kris Letang scoring the decisive goal. The Sabres responded for a 4-3 victory 10 days later, rallying from a 3-1 deficit. Drew Stafford scored a pair of goals and Paul Gaustad netted the game-winner.

Big Story: Pittsburgh plays its second nationally-televised game in as many days. On Sunday afternoon, the Penguins took on the Red Wings in a rematch of the past two Stanley Cup Finals and threw 47 shots at goalie Jimmy Howard only to find themselves locked in a 1-1 tie after 65 minutes. They finally prevailed 2-1 in the shootout in front of an appreciative home crowd and the NBC audience. Now they get right back to work against Northeast Division-leading Buffalo, with Versus televising the game in the U.S. and TSN2 in Canada.

Team Scope:

Sabres: A long road trip seemed to be taking its toll on Buffalo, which lost the final four of a seven-game trek, but the Sabres have responded well since returning home. They posted a 2-1 shootout win over the Devils on Wednesday and edged the Bruins by that same score on Friday. With the Senators currently on a nine-game winning streak and just five points out, the Sabres know they can't afford to let up.

"It's big for us to come home and get four big points," said Thomas Vanek, whose power-play goal against Boston was the game-winner. "The last two years we learned that we lost a lot of games in the last 20 minutes and it cost us the playoffs. We put a lot of emphasis on that in training camp and we're doing a good job so far."

Penguins: Sunday marked the first game between Pittsburgh and Detroit since Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final last June, and although the only thing at stake this time was two points, the action on the ice was still intense. Sidney Crosby and Dan Cleary traded goals in regulation and the teams battled all the way to a shootout, where Crosby and Evgeni Malkin both scored. The Penguins are 7-0 this season in the penalty-shot tiebreaker, and goalie Marc-Andre Fleury had a good feeling once they got there.

"I was confident with the guys we have here we could pull this one out," Fleury said. "It was a good time and we came out with a win.”

Who's Hot: Buffalo's leading scorer, Tim Connolly, had his 16-game points streak snapped against New Jersey but came back with an assist against Boston and has seven goals and 19 assists over his last 18 games. Vanek has five goals and five assists in his last 11 games. Ryan Miller stopped 69 of 71 shots in the last two victories.

Crosby has 10 goals and nine assists in his last 12 games, while Malkin has six goals and six assists during a seven-game points streak. At least one of them has factored in on the last 17 goals for Pittsburgh.

Injury Report: Penguins forward Maxime Talbot, who scored both goals in the clinching Game 7 win over the Red Wings, missed Sunday's rematch with a groin injury. Forward Chris Kunitz is working his way back from abdominal surgery while forward Eric Godard is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a groin injury.

Stat Pack: Miller's next win will give him 30 for the fifth consecutive season. … Jordan Staal played in his 276th consecutive game Sunday, tying him with Nick Harbaruk for second on Pittsburgh's all-time list.

Puck Drop: When you're the defending champs, there's no such thing as a day off. The Penguins got to spend Sunday evening relaxing, but will have to bring their best again on Monday to pick up another two points against the Sabres.

1 San Jose Sharks. Next game versus Blackhawks could be in conference finals. (1)

2 Washington Capitals. Pulling away in Eastern Conference with eight straight victories. (3)

3 Chicago Blackhawks. Kokanee was good choice, but limo pictures were not. (2)

4 New Jersey Devils. Three games versus Leafs in seven days should cure ills. (4)

5 Buffalo Sabres. Lindy creating stiff competition along the blue line. (5)

6 Phoenix Coyotes. Leading league in winning percentage when scoring first. (7)

7 Vancouver Canucks. Check back after 14 straight road games. (9)

8 Pittsburgh Penguins. Malkin on his recent hot streak: "I'm back to being Geno." (6)
http://www.buffalonews.com/opinions/col ... 40861.html

(sorry about before, i dunno what i was thinking, thanks ETC)
the preview is up, the top 8 will stay(and its old too, for the record)

Last edited by Montalo on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:19 pm 
Captain Clutch

Thanks for coming through Mo. The Penguins just beat the Wings in a shootout this afternoon and that is 7 out of 7 shootout wins for the Pens. All I ask the Sabres for is a win and NO SHOOTOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Last edited by sabresindc on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:21 pm 
Star Sniper

We need the points more than ever now that motherfucking Ottawa is charging up our ass. Oh, and glad you got it up this time, Monty! ;)

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:18 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Fuck this shit, the game is on Versus

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:22 pm 
Captain Clutch

Montalo wrote:
Image@Image

just a filler, will be updated when previews come

1 San Jose Sharks. Next game versus Blackhawks could be in conference finals. (1)

2 Washington Capitals. Pulling away in Eastern Conference with eight straight victories. (3)

3 Chicago Blackhawks. Kokanee was good choice, but limo pictures were not. (2)

4 New Jersey Devils. Three games versus Leafs in seven days should cure ills. (4)

5 Buffalo Sabres. Lindy creating stiff competition along the blue line. (5)

6 Phoenix Coyotes. Leading league in winning percentage when scoring first. (7)

7 Vancouver Canucks. Check back after 14 straight road games. (9)

8 Pittsburgh Penguins. Malkin on his recent hot streak: "I'm back to being Geno." (6)
http://www.buffalonews.com/opinions/col ... 40861.html

(sorry about before, i dunno what i was thinking, thanks ETC)

The caps won their 10th straight today. :doh:

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:26 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Mo forgot to add the disclaimer from the article that this is through Thursday during the day.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:05 am 
Cup Winner

He said he was going to edit it when the preview on NHL.com is up, because Pittsburgh played on Sunday it wasn't up until that game would have been over.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:56 am 
Captain Dynasty

one game of RJ and stupid versus.

guess who's radio-ing it tonight?

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:43 am 
Penalty Killer

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
one game of RJ and stupid versus.

guess who's radio-ing it tonight?

Yeah, my guys are all excited that we can watch the Sabres on TV, but I'll probably be radio-ing it as well. I can't stand to watch the Sidney Crosby Show! :puke-front:

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:44 am 
Garbage Man

I'm happy the game is on Versus...I'm getting tired of watching the Sabres on my laptop. Let them gush about their Crosby-crush. It will only make it sweeter when we beat them.

We have a chance to move a point ahead of NJ into the #2 spot, put another two points between us and the Sens, and lay a beat-down on the defending Stanley Cup champs (they have something we want).

All in all, this is a pretty important game.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:56 am 
Star Sniper

Godzilla1960 wrote:
I'm happy the game is on Versus...

Two words: High Definition. :D

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:57 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

One word : DirecTV :( .

End The Curse
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:03 am 
Star Sniper

56 hours, 57 minutes until Ottawa.

sensfan_101
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:33 am 
Rink Rat

End The Curse wrote:
We need the points more than ever now that motherfucking Ottawa is charging up our ass. Oh, and glad you got it up this time, Monty! ;)

Thanks ETC....that made me laugh. :lol: Your sig is funny too. :)

sensfan_101
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:39 am 
Rink Rat

Godzilla1960 wrote:
All in all, this is a pretty important game.

The next two games are important. Tonight...to take over 2nd in the east and wednesday to put some distance on the Sens. I'm hoping they win tonight, and lose wednesday. :whistle: ..... :pray:

Wyohomeboy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:52 am 
Power Forward

Stinking Versus/Directv squabble!!! I hate the Pens, and don't get to see the game on my TV!! :evil: :evil:
Hopefully the Pens will be tired, and we will come out on fire :pray: :pray: :pray:

Computer bound, or perhaps I will Take Clairise out to watch the game - It's been snowing all night here, and no sign of it stopping!!

Since I did get out on the ice yesterday, here is my obligatory GDT fish picture :D

GO SABRES!!!

End The Curse
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:19 pm 
Star Sniper

Wyohomeboy wrote:
Computer bound, or perhaps I will Take Clairise out to watch the game - It's been snowing all night here, and no sign of it stopping!!

Clairise, eh? Perhaps you should take her out for liver with fava beans and a nice chianti?

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:59 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

mechaphil wrote:

Well you just threw a wet blanket on my day...bah

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:25 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Crosscheck wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

Well you just threw a wet blanket on my day...bah

Yeah. I have the DirecTV gripe as well...atdhe.net it is.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:32 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I'll just listen to RJ, and maybe clean my office at home. It needs it. :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next