It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 724 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
icehound
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:53 pm 
Star Sniper

Courtesy of Lightning.NHL.com:

Tampa Bay Riding a Three-Game Home Win Streak

"Arriving to test Tampa Bay’s equilibrium, however, are the Buffalo Sabres, who have started the season fast, going 5-1-1 to date and claiming the top spot in the Northeast Division. The Sabres made few changes in the off-season and are essentially the same team that finished 10th in the Eastern Conference last season, missing the playoffs for the second consecutive year.

The difference so far has been the consistently play of goaltender Ryan Miller, who has gone 5-0-1 on the season while compiling an impressive 1.65 goals-against average.

Forward Thomas Vanek is leading Buffalo in goals scored with four while center Derek Roy is setting the pace for assists with six.

The Sabres, who have yet to lose on the road this year, are in the midst of a three-game road swing, which opened Wednesday night with a 5-2 win against the Florida Panthers."

....sorry Yoshi. Ya snooze, ya lose...

You bet the Sabres are going to upset the Lightning's applecart. And douse it with gasoline. And set it on fire.

The Sabres always find a way to get into Lecavalier's head and upset the Bolts...

Another "statement" game for a team looking to string together a solid record of wins. On the road, against a team that just pounded the Sharks - The physicality, defensive responsibility and forechecking pressure that has allowed this team to score rapidly and in succession, and stifle and demoralize the opposition, will define the formula for a Sabres' win.

This team is now finding its' chemistry and will be facing a squad buoyed by a two-goal performance from their number-one (overall) pick, sophomore Steven Stamkos, in a stunning upset of what had been expected to be a "powerhouse" San Jose team.

Bring the noise:

WARNING: Pushing button may result in the release of large doses of adrenalin.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:58 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

NHL.com preview - Sabres at Lightning

Quote:
SABRES (5-1-1) at LIGHTNING (3-3-2)

Season series -- This will be the first of four meetings between the clubs this season. The teams split the season-series in 2008-09 with the Lightning holding a 15-13 goal advantage. The Sabres haven't lost a season series against the Lightning in four seasons and are 7-3 in their last 10 in Tampa.

Big Story -- Lightning goalie Mike Smith picked up his first victory in nine months on Thursday in a 5-2 triumph over San Jose. Smith made 32 saves to stop a personal-high six-game losing streak, notching his first triumph since Jan. 27. Coach Rich Tocchet, in an attempt to light a fire under Vincent Lecavalier, moved him to the top line alongside Martin St. Louis and rookie James Wright.

The return of Buffalo forward Tomas Vanek, who missed two games with an upper-body injury and who's averaged 40 goals the last three seasons, couldn't have come at a more opportune time -- he scored a goal on Wednesday in a victory over Florida.

Team Scope:

Sabres -- The Sabres, who have a multitude of left wings on the roster, sent one of them, Daniele Paille, to the Bruins in exchange for two draft picks on Tuesday. The Sabres will receive Boston's third-round selection in the 2010 Entry Draft and a conditional fourth-round pick next June. The Sabres will be playing the second game of their three-game road trip that concludes Wednesday in New Jersey.

Lightning -- The team desperately wants to see captain Vinny Lecavalier get on the score sheet this season. He has gone 15 games without a goal, dating back to March 17. Still, Lecavalier is second on the team with 7 assists. Rookie defenseman Victor Hedman, the second choice in the 2009 Entry Draft, leads all first-year players in average ice time with 24:34 and shifts per game (29.4).

Who's Hot -- Sabres goalie Ryan Miller has yet to lose in regulation, posting a 5-0-1 record to go with a 1.65 goals-against average and .942 save percentage. He ranks third on the Sabres' all-time list with 151 career victories and has won 30-plus games in each of the last four seasons, including 40 in 2006-07. Lightning sophomore center Steven Stamkos (6 goals, 10 points) has 4 goals and 6 points over the past four games -- the 2008 first-overall pick didn't notch his fourth goal last season until Dec. 27. Additionally, right wing Martin St. Louis (9 assists, 12 points) has registered a point in every game this season.

Injury Report -- Buffalo defenseman Andrej Sekera (ribs) will be sidelined at least until the end of the month. Buffalo left wing Clarke MacArthur suffered from flu-like symptoms earlier in the week but wore a surgical mask on the team's flight to South Florida and was in the lineup against the Panthers on Wednesday.

Stat Pack -- The Sabres have scored 19 goals in their last four games after recording just four in their first three. Forward Jason Pominville is the team's active leader in consecutive games played at 258 -- the eighth-longest active streak in the NHL. Lightning forward Martin St. Louis holds the seventh-longest active streak in the League at 315. Tampa Bay had allowed the first goal in its first seven games of the season before its victory over San Jose on Thursday.

Puck Drop -- Look for coach Rick Tocchet to keep his top line of Vincent Lecavalier-James Wright-Martin St. Louis intact for another game against a red-hot Sabres team that has forced opponents to yank their starting goaltender in three of the past four games.

Another of the classic "trap" games - a team the Sabres tend to beat a lot and may look down upon. They need to get back to 60 minutes of pure effort. Look for Patches to get his first sniff of regular season action, and for Miller to be in net yet again.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:02 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I wouldn't mind seeing Hecht, with his (so far) resurgent effort, pop Vinny L in the eye again. That was a beaut of a shiner he put on him last season :D

Something I fear might happen is the Bolts coming on strong very early, still charged by their win over San Jose, with the Sabres being unprepared. No coasting against a team featuring Lecavalier, St. Louis, Stamkos, Hedman, and Ohlund. 60 minutes, guys.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:16 pm 
Star Sniper

I am looking forward to seeing Hedman play. :|

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:28 pm 
Captain Dynasty

mechaphil wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing Hecht, with his (so far) resurgent effort, pop Vinny L in the eye again. That was a beaut of a shiner he put on him last season :D

Something I fear might happen is the Bolts coming on strong very early, still charged by their win over San Jose, with the Sabres being unprepared. No coasting against a team featuring Lecavalier, St. Louis, Stamkos, Hedman, and Ohlund. 60 minutes, guys.

To avoid any repeat of the Thrashers game...
There is a player on the lightning named Vincent Lecavalier, do not ignore him.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:22 am 
Captain Clutch

My concern is, like most Sabres Florida trips, is the "fatigue" that seems to occur to our players. Hopefully they'll have a curfew tonight so they're not hungover for the game.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:45 am 
Franchise Defenseman

hey, i even waited........

i wanted to open it on the GAME DAY .

u suck

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:07 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Image @ Image

SABRES away 2-0-0
TAMPA home 3-0-1

Quote:
SABRES (5-1-1) at LIGHTNING (3-3-2)

Sabres
The Sabres, who have a multitude of left wings on the roster, sent one of them, Daniele Paille, to the Bruins in exchange for two draft picks on Tuesday. The Sabres will receive Boston's third-round selection in the 2010 Entry Draft and a conditional fourth-round pick next June. The Sabres will be playing the second game of their three-game road trip that concludes Wednesday in New Jersey.

Lightning
The team desperately wants to see captain Vinny Lecavalier get on the score sheet this season. He has gone 15 games without a goal, dating back to March 17. Still, Lecavalier is second on the team with 7 assists. Rookie defenseman Victor Hedman, the second choice in the 2009 Entry Draft, leads all first-year players in average ice time with 24:34 and shifts per game (29.4).

Who's Hot
Sabres goalie Ryan Miller has yet to lose in regulation, posting a 5-0-1 record to go with a 1.65 goals-against average and .942 save percentage. He ranks third on the Sabres' all-time list with 151 career victories and has won 30-plus games in each of the last four seasons, including 40 in 2006-07. Lightning sophomore center Steven Stamkos (6 goals, 10 points) has 4 goals and 6 points over the past four games -- the 2008 first-overall pick didn't notch his fourth goal last season until Dec. 27. Additionally, right wing Martin St. Louis (9 assists, 12 points) has registered a point in every game this season.

Injury Report
Buffalo defenseman Andrej Sekera (ribs)

Stat Pack -- The Sabres have scored 19 goals in their last four games after recording just four in their first three. Forward Jason Pominville is the team's active leader in consecutive games played at 258 -- the eighth-longest active streak in the NHL. Lightning forward Martin St. Louis holds the seventh-longest active streak in the League at 315. Tampa Bay had allowed the first goal in its first seven games of the season before its victory over San Jose on Thursday.

Mike G. Morreale, NHL.com

My unofficial Tip:

Image 6-3 Image

hmm i am not that motivated. reason: Icehound is a dodl :x

End The Curse
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:54 am 
Star Sniper

So...which is the "official" thread...

I've got a dinner party to go to, so I won't be back until at least 11pm. I'll be catching the Sabres on DVR.

Sabres: 3-2 in OT.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

icehound
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:10 am 
Star Sniper

Yhoshi wrote:

u suck

Sorry, dude. I thought you knew that we post 24 hours ahead of puck-drop (and immediately after the game, on back-to-back nights)...really.

...didn't mean to jack you around. Just a misunderstanding, is all.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:30 am 
Captain Dynasty

icehound wrote:
Yhoshi wrote:

u suck

Sorry, dude. I thought you knew that we post 24 hours ahead of puck-drop (and immediately after the game, on back-to-back nights)...really.

...didn't mean to jack you around. Just a misunderstanding, is all.

Who is jacking who now?

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:50 am 
Franchise Defenseman

rbochan wrote:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

TV CAT SEZ:

Ask Mike Grier, he knows everything.

is the TV CAT a female...

i think Mike Grier looks better with helmet than without it.

Buffalo will win it. and i will entertain myself in my official GDT. :dance:

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:53 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Gnomey the Sabres Gnome says, "Im in ur forumz, spammin ur geedeetees"

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:01 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

mechaphil wrote:

:whistle:

Last edited by Yhoshi on Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:05 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Yhoshi wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

That's a little uncalled for, sir. Gnomey is here to assist TV Cat in ruining the karma of other teams.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:07 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Yhoshi wrote:

Seriously dude?

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:11 pm 
Captain Dynasty

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:13 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Yea, that was sweet. Gives him a punching early in the week, and we get to see the shiner later in the week :D

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:14 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Yhoshi wrote:

Seriously dude?

wrong context. and wrong colour. the sabres gnome has a blue hat.

just a picture i discovered.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:16 pm 
Captain Dynasty

mechaphil wrote:
Yea, that was sweet. Gives him a punching early in the week, and we get to see the shiner later in the week :D

I think that was the lightning game I was at last season.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 724 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next