Quote:
Senators seek to end four-game skid against Sabres
Nov 5, 2011

BUF @ OTT

BUF, 3 - 2

SENATORS (7-8-1) at SABRES (9-5-0)

TV: SNET-E, TVA, MSG-B

Last 10: Ottawa 6-3-1; Buffalo 6-4-0

Season Series: Second of six meetings this season, and second in seven days between these Northeast Division rivals. It took six rounds of a shootout, but Buffalo won 3-2 in Ottawa last Saturday when Derek Roy put the puck past Craig Anderson. Roy and Jordan Leopold had regulation goals for the Sabres, while Milan Michalek and Erik Condra scored for the Senators.

Big Story: Buffalo has won three straight and is pushing Toronto for the division lead, but there could be a bit of a goaltending controversy brewing. Ryan Miller is a past Vezina Trophy winner and Olympic star, but he recently suffered a personal four-game losing streak and turned in a less-than-convincing performance in a win Tuesday, allowing five goals on 31 shots. Meanwhile, backup Jhonas Enroth has won all four of his starts with a 1.41 goals-against average and .952 save percentage, improving to 13-3-2 in his brief NHL career.

Team Scope:

Senators: During its six-game winning streak to end the month of October, Ottawa scored 23 goals, an average of nearly four per game. Since then, the Senators have averaged two goals in an 0-3-1 slump that continued with Wednesday's 3-2 home loss to the Rangers. Captain Daniel Alfredsson has been absent from the lineup dating back to the final game of the win streak due to a concussion, but he took the morning skate Wednesday and was expected to travel with the team to Buffalo.

"I think (the results) were good," said Alfredsson, who passed his baseline exam and has met the NHL protocol for returning to action. "I was happy with what I did, so I don't think it's an issue at all … I'm just going to take it one day at a time and we'll go from there."

Sabres: At the end of the season it's the top eight teams from each conference that make the playoffs and nobody questions how you compiled the points, so Buffalo isn't going to apologize for the fact its 6-5 overtime win over Winnipeg on Tuesday didn't exactly follow the normal Lindy Ruff blueprint. The Sabres had to rally from deficits of 2-0, 3-2, 4-3 and 5-4 before finally prevailing on Thomas Vanek's second power-play goal of the game with 25 seconds left in overtime. Roy also had a pair of power-play tallies to overcome Miller's shaky performance.

"Obviously, we all know that Ryan needs to be better. He was fighting it, there's no doubt," Ruff said. "But I liked the fight the team put up. That's even more important than the fight that Ryan was putting up."

Who's Hot: Michalek has goals in consecutive games for the Senators and his 10 goals entering Thursday were tied for second in the League, one behind Phil Kessel of the Maple Leafs. … Vanek reached 10 goals with his pair on Tuesday. Jason Pominville, the Sabres' leading scorer, had a goal and a pair of assists. His 18 points were fourth in the League heading into Thursday's action. Roy is suddenly hot after a slow start, recording 3 goals and 2 assists during a three-game points streak.

Injury Report: Alfredsson remains day-to-day for Ottawa, which has defenseman Matt Carkner (knee) and forward Peter Regin (shoulder) on injured reserve. … Buffalo forward Ville Leino and defenseman Tyler Myers are day-to-day with undisclosed ailments. Forwards Jochen Hecht (concussion) and Tyler Ennis (ankle) are on injured reserve.

Stat Pack: Third-year Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson entered Thursday tied with Marc-Andre Bergeron of the Lightning for the lead among defenseman with 13 assists. … The Sabres won two-thirds of their faceoffs against the Jets, with Pominville and Paul Gaustad combining to go 27-7 on draws.

Puck Drop: "To be brutally honest, after those first two, I was just like, 'Yeah. OK we're going to do this again, huh?'" Miller said following Tuesday's game. "I tried to just slowly keep myself in the game. It helped that the guys kept putting goals up. You don't plan nights like that and you certainly don't like to see too many of them, but it's good we came out on the winning side.

"Again, we're going to have to learn some lessons from this one, and personally I just need to take away where I can be better and where I can make a difference. There are some situations out there where I need to start to get a little more in sync with my guys."

(nhl.com)

Last edited by Yhoshi on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:20 am 
PP Quarterback

This shit still gets me all worked up. I wish the coaches would have had at it. Ruff would have destroyed that twat waffle.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:34 am 
Superstar Goalie

ksquier89 wrote:
Ruff would have destroyed that twat waffle.

:lol:

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:53 am 
Sober enough to run a server

I want my 2 points.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:18 pm 
Superstar Goalie

So I move down here to Virginia and sign the lease on the house, start unpacking and happen to look across the street and see a Sabres flag sticking out of my neighbor's garden. The dude is from Amherst and came over to watch the Jets game the other day. Pretty sweet and we will be watching this game tomorrow night.

Los9090
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:57 pm 
Superstar Goalie

AudSabres wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:

Don't forget to hook us up with streams!

AudSabres
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:22 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Los9090 wrote:
AudSabres wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:

Don't forget to hook us up with streams!

Fo shiz.

Don't want to steal Yhoshi's thunder, but I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:51 am 
More Heart Than Skill

Fuck Ottawa.

Watching that brawl clip really re-upped my hate for that team, Neil in particular.

Ham

ksquier89
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:32 am 
PP Quarterback

Senior year religion teacher was a Sens fan. Rocked his Sens jersey the day of that game. He talked so much smack the whole series. I basically told him to eat a big bag of shit the next day.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:36 am 
PP Quarterback

Hammygoodness wrote:
Fuck Ottawa.

Watching that brawl clip really re-upped my hate for that team, Neil in particular.

Ham

"Don't go after our fuckin' captain!" Ruff

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:39 am 
More Heart Than Skill

"Go out and run 'em."

Ham

ksquier89
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:52 am 
PP Quarterback

Not sure what their coach was expecting to have happen on the ice when we sent those guys out. Calling a timeout while crosschecking was occuring before the faceoff probably would have been the wise thing to do. And one wonders why he is no longer the coach.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:59 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Enroth starting.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/201 ... night.html

GoSabres29
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:28 pm 
Garbage Man

I can't believe Miller isn't starting. It's honestly shocking since he hasn't played since Tuesday. I think it's a bad decision. Milller needs to play and get his confidence back. He needs a convincing win, not 6-5, and he isn't going to get that if he keeps going in cold with all the pressure on him.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:30 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Interweb feeds that I've been able to find:

http://atdhenet.tv/41172/watch-ottawa-vs-buffalo
http://www.justin.tv/sabresfeed01#/w/2038299968/2

I'll keep looking around for others.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:11 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

GoSabres29 wrote:
I can't believe Miller isn't starting. It's honestly shocking since he hasn't played since Tuesday. I think it's a bad decision. Milller needs to play and get his confidence back. He needs a convincing win, not 6-5, and he isn't going to get that if he keeps going in cold with all the pressure on him.

I love Miller as much as the next guy, but lets face it, Enroth is 4-0 on the year with a 1.41 GAA and a .957 sv %...sorry until he cools off, he should be seeing A LOT of games. It's just good coaching, and good hockey sense. Look at Boston a few years ago, they benched Tim Thomas, and played a hot Tukka Rask, and made a great run. You play your hot goalie...end of story.

Squanto 7/27/2010

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:33 pm 
Star Sniper

Back-to-backs with Boston so they have to start each anyway. Miller has been very good against Boston over the years.

GoSabres29
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:24 pm 
Garbage Man

jvaccaro6 wrote:
GoSabres29 wrote:

I love Miller as much as the next guy, but lets face it, Enroth is 4-0 on the year with a 1.41 GAA and a .957 sv %...sorry until he cools off, he should be seeing A LOT of games. It's just good coaching, and good hockey sense. Look at Boston a few years ago, they benched Tim Thomas, and played a hot Tukka Rask, and made a great run. You play your hot goalie...end of story.

I wouldn't say Enroth is "hot". We play virtually perfect defense in front of him. All the shots he face are from the outside. I love Enroth, but it's true. When we start Miller, they pin us in our zone and barrage him with shots. During the Jets game, Sekera just left the guy in front twice. It's the team around him, and I think we need to play Miller and Lindy needs to get the team straight in front of him.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:29 pm 
Power Forward

GoSabres29 wrote:
jvaccaro6 wrote:
GoSabres29 wrote:

I wouldn't say Enroth is "hot". We play virtually perfect defense in front of him. All the shots he face are from the outside. I love Enroth, but it's true. When we start Miller, they pin us in our zone and barrage him with shots. During the Jets game, Sekera just left the guy in front twice. It's the team around him, and I think we need to play Miller and Lindy needs to get the team straight in front of him.

A shot is a shot IMO. Few are good, few are great and few are bad. If the team plays perfect D in front of Enroth that's even more of a reason to put him in. Enroth's stats speak for themselves and there is no doubt that he's one of the hotter goalies in the league. And so far this season he has out performed Miller in a big way.

GoSabres29
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:50 pm 
Garbage Man

I really don't think he has out-performed him. I say put Miller in an Enroth jersey and watch him get a shutout.