It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:55 pm 
Page Side

Image VS. Image

Image VS. Image

Two of the league's top goal scorers go head to head in the 2nd matchup of a 4 game season series between the Penguins and the Sabres. The 6th place Sabres trail the 5th place Penguins by 3 points in the standings, but also have a game in hand.

Coming off of 6-4 loss in Ottawa, Marc Andre Fluery is likely to start after relieving Brent Johnson of his duties mid game last night. Their woes couldn't all be placed on Johnson, however, as Craig Adams explains.

"Typically, we're a lot better defensively than that," Adams said following the loss. "Whether it's defensive zone coverage or plays up the ice and getting caught on rushes and things like that, certainly our details away from the puck weren't very good."

The Penguins haven't recorded a win at home since November 25th, and will likely push very hard to get it done tonight. They might be in for a difficult task, however, as the Buffalo Sabres appear to be building up some momentum.

After struggling mightily at times in November, the Sabres have suddenly earned points in 6 out of their last 7 games, and are coming off their most spirited effort of the season in a 5-4 win over division rival Toronto. Despite their recent successes, Buffalo has not won consecutive games since November 11th.

After the game, Thomas Vanek talked a little bit about what they'll need to do to string together some wins.

"We need to get our swagger back, especially when we have the lead," said Vanek, who leads the Sabres with 16 goals. "Sometimes that's all it takes. There's no miracle to it. Everyone here is a good player, so when we get the lead we have to go for the next one and bury a team. We didn't quite do that, but I think it was a step in the right direction."

A key factor in the game was Buffalo's power play, which managed to put two goals on the board off the sticks of Drew Stafford and Tyler Ennis. The Penguins, however, boast the league's 4th best penalty killing unit, which will likely challenge the Sabres' 11th best power play.

At any rate, it would serve the Sabres well to score first. The Penguins, who are missing Crosy and Staal, will attempt to prevent the game from opening up at all.

"We don't like it that open," defenseman Matt Niskanen said. "Sometimes pucks are going to bounce into your net funny, that happens. But we kind of got away from our game a little bit. We started cheating and looking for offense just a little bit, and that's when bad things can happen."

The Sabres would be wise to keep a close eye on Evgeni Malkin, who has 7 points in his last 4 games. The Penguins will also need to keep a sharp eye on Thomas Vanek, who's scored 4 goals in his last 5 games.

A back to back win is long overdue for the Sabres. I'm calling a low scoring affair, with the Sabres leaving as 2-1 victors.

Last edited by PuckSniperPensel on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:06 pm 
PP Quarterback

How does Vanek make scoring seem so easy. Just skates his ass in slow, makes the goalie move, and leisurely rifles it in.

sabresrocker56
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:19 pm 
Garbage Man

ksquier89 wrote:
How does Vanek make scoring seem so easy. Just skates his ass in slow, makes the goalie move, and leisurely rifles it in.

I don't think he skates slow or scores leisurely. It's his hard work and skill that makes it all seem so easy. Everyone said the same thing about Gilbert Perreault and his skating. I'm not saying Vanek=Perreault but I think that Vanek has a skill set where everything he does looks effortless because he's that good.

Gerbacity

NYIntensity wrote:
Sabres2Sabres wrote:
If Miller and Myers were playing like they did last year, we'd probably be over 500 right now.

If I had decided to jerk off instead, I probably wouldn't be paying child support...

"Grier coming in over the line. He leaves it to Gaustad. The shot. THEY SCOOOREE!! RING UP ANOTHER ONE FOR THE GOOSE!!! HONK IF YA HEAR THE GOOSE!! 3-0 BUFFALO!"

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:40 pm 
Captain Dynasty

mcnabb scratched which means grags is full time D. not PP. sucks.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:03 pm 
Captain Clutch

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

who needs a physical presence on the blueline? I haven't seen a Sabre with so many clean open ice hits like McNabb.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:06 pm 
Captain Dynasty

(on grags) i havnt seen a sabre with so many turnovers since toni lydman (but lydman made up for it with solid defensive play. grags doesnt)

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:20 pm 
Hart Winner

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

WHAT THE FUCK

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:32 pm 
Page Side

Fucking ridiculous.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:36 pm 
Hart Winner

Why?! McNabb has been doing NOTHING but amazing D and open ice clean hits and Grags has been turning it over and being a straight vagina. What the hell man?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:10 pm 
Captain Dynasty

because kaleta is back and they didnt wanna dress 7 dmen. which i agree with to a point. but if you arnt gonna play mcnab, send him to play for the amerks.

that said, grags has been terrible.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:59 pm 
Page Side

If Lindy feels offense is that important, Grags should take a seat when Myers gets back, because he can fill that position on the power play.

McNabb is a big dude and he's probably got a cannon. Play HIM instead of Grags for crying out loud.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:09 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

This is one of those decisions that make me think lindy is just totally out of touch with reality. I just don't understand how mcnabb could be scratched after the way he has performed.

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:23 pm 
Penalty Killer

Isn't McNabb close to 10 games played? Perhaps the plan is to try to save him for later in the season when we're banged up (again). I don't keep track of all the salary cap stuff.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:34 pm 
Captain Clutch

McNabb and Grags on the ice for warmups. I guess they're going to be dress 7 D-men again tonight

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:54 pm 
Captain Dynasty

say whaaaatttt?

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:56 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

good morning. let's beat the Penguins.

daz28
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:59 pm 
Star Sniper

In case anyone missed it, Cindy Crosby has a concussion.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:00 pm 
Star Sniper

I think Gragnani's contract status (possible RFA next summer depending on games played) is the reason behind all his starts. At first I thought maybe, but at this point there isn't any other good explanation.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:08 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

daz28 wrote:
In case anyone missed it, Cindy Crosby has a concussion.

who?

bigC24
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:08 pm 
Two-Way Center

Why the flying hell is Brayden McNabb benched tonight? He has probably been my favorite player as of late. This is ridiculous.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next