It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Yhoshi
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:04 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Quote:
Leafs, Sabres look to get back on track

Dec 16, 2011

TOR @ BUF

BUF, 5 - 4

SABRES (16-14-3) at MAPLE LEAFS (16-13-4)

TV: MSG-Buffalo, LEAFS TV

Last 10: Buffalo 3-5-2; Toronto 3-5-2

Season Series: The Sabres lead the season series 1-0 after taking the first meeting between the division rivals, a 5-4 win in Buffalo on Dec. 16.

Big Story: Buffalo was a team with high expectations when the season began and after a strong burst to start the campaign Toronto was a team thinking the same time. The division rivals have fallen on hard times, however, combining for a grand total of three regulation wins in their last 20 games. If either the Sabres or Maple Leafs want to snap their respective funks and get their house in order, kicking a direct competitor while it's down may be the best way.

Team Scope:

Sabres: Need a reason why the Sabres might be struggling? How about injuries. With the slew of players they've lost in the last five weeks alone it may be time for Buffalo General Hospital to name a ward after Sabres' owner Terry Pegula. Since Nov. 20 alone, Buffalo has lost Tyler Myers (broken wrist), Brad Boyes (knee), Patrick Kaleta (groin), Nathan Gerbe (concussion), Corey Tropp (upper body), Ville Leino (lower body) and Colin Stuart (lower body).

That type of injury-depleted lineup would be enough to sideline just about any team, but the Sabres' issues in net aren't helping either. Typically one of the best goalies in the League, Ryan Miller has struggled in mighty fashion this year. His marks on the season are an unflattering 3.12 goals-against average and .904 save percentage. His struggles have been even more pronounced lately, as Miller has given up a total of 15 goals in his last four appearances.

Maple Leafs: With just six points in the standings in their last nine games, the Leafs' struggles are starting to garner attention, particularly in the enhanced media market of Toronto. After a tremendous opening month and a half to 2011-12, the Leafs have fallen behind the Bruins, who have looked better than just about every team in the League since the calendar turned to November, and as a result, Toronto has dropped from first place to nine points back of the first-place B's.

With Toronto clinging to its place in the top eight, the Leafs need a boost to get their confidence back, and it may come in the form of 2009 first-round draft pick Nazem Kadri, who has been called up from the AHL and will play Thursday night. Kadri hasn't yet fulfilled expectations in the NHL -- he had just 1 assist during a three-game cup of coffee earlier this season -- but he has flourished in the minors, scoring 8 goals and adding 14 assists in 22 games this fall.

Who's Hot: Tyler Bozak has quietly begun lighting it up for Toronto, netting 1 goal and adding 4 assists in his last three games. … Thomas Vanek has continued to keep his impressive scoring pace this year, tallying 6 points in the last three games.

Injury Report: In addition to the rest of its injury ward, Buffalo may also be without Jochen Hecht (lower body) and Tyler Ennis (left ankle), who are considered questionable. … Toronto may be without David Steckel, who is questionable with bronchitis. In addition, Colby Armstrong (concussion) and Philippe Dupuis (upper body) were placed on injured reserve this week.

Stat Pack: Buffalo's biggest issue this season might be its struggles at home. The Sabres are currently under .500 at the First Niagara Center, a feat they haven't "accomplished" in a full season since the days of the Adams Division.

Puck Drop: The one bit of good news for the Sabres? Despite all their troubles they're just one point back of Toronto and have more regulation and overtime wins. Given the amount of time left this season and the massive logjam in the Eastern Conference playoff race, however, anything is still possible, and for either Toronto or Buffalo to solidify its position, there is no time like the present to start.(nhl.com)

Last edited by Yhoshi on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:16 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Holy crap. I think for the first time since before 05/06, i've realized there is a game on tonight, and instead of looking forward to it have cringed and thought "Great, another chance for this team to drive the failboat to losertown"

Awesome.

Change something sabres.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:32 am 
MegaDouche

The only thing i'm wondering is how long it will take management to start viewing this as "the boat is sinking, maybe we should find a lifetime supply of flex seal to seal this gigantic hole up"...

ksquier89
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:45 am 
PP Quarterback

SABRESAllTheWay wrote:
The only thing i'm wondering is how long it will take management to start viewing this as "the boat is sinking, maybe we should find a lifetime supply of flex seal to seal this gigantic hole up"...

I'll quote The Departed " Unfortunately, this shithole has more fuckin' leaks than the Iraqi navy."

ksquier89
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:49 am 
PP Quarterback

To which D. Roy replies "Go fuck yourself".
me: "Can't, to tired from fucking my wife."
Roy:"How's your mother?"
me: "Good. She's tired from fucking my father."

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:18 pm 
PP Quarterback

ksquier89 wrote:

What?? I don't get it

ksquier89
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:39 pm 
PP Quarterback

sabretoothpick wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:

What?? I don't get it

Lol. Have you seen The Departed?!?!?!?!

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:18 pm 
PP Quarterback

ksquier89 wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:

What?? I don't get it

:lol: Yes, I have seen it but only in German (doesn't sound that cool in German though)

ksquier89
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:23 pm 
PP Quarterback

sabretoothpick wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:

What?? I don't get it

:lol: Yes, I have seen it but only in German (doesn't sound that cool in German though)

The genius Mark yells at is actually his brother.

LOL. "Who forged your transcript asshole!!!"

sabresindc
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:44 pm 
Captain Clutch

I definitely respect Yoshi for his optimism :clap: I'm having a hard time being optimistic for tonight's game. I just can't get excited anymore.... Watching a Sabres game, right now, is like watching a car wreck. You really don't want to watch but you can't stop yourself. I'll be popping in tonight to spew some venom about this damn team....

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:25 pm 
PP Quarterback

sabresindc wrote:
I definitely respect Yoshi for his optimism :clap: I'm having a hard time being optimistic for tonight's game. I just can't get excited anymore.... Watching a Sabres game, right now, is like watching a car wreck. You really don't want to watch but you can't stop yourself. I'll be popping in tonight to spew some venom about this damn team....

What is this optimism you speak of? Been so long since I have had any that I forgot how it feels.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:47 pm 
Star Sniper

It's one thing to acknowledge a problem, and take measures to try and correct it.

It's quite another to hear the same tired excuses, and constantly see the same mistakes, lack of preparation, concentration, and execution.

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:05 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I have just watched Terminator2 so I'm ready for the game tonight :)

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:06 pm 
Hart Winner

Yeah let's just quickly get the American National Anthem done who cares right?

daz28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:08 pm 
Star Sniper

Give your generous owner a fucking Christmas present ffs. IOW, if your lacking in one area, then bolster another. ie: can't get shots on/then show throw some checks. Just don't be a flat, stale, one-dimensional pile of shit.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:10 pm 
Hart Winner

The way we enter the zone is stupid. Pass to the boards, and the man at the boards tries passing through 3 guys.

daz28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:11 pm 
Star Sniper

First clear out 2 on 1 took 1:40. Take note TP.

hnfjw
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:12 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

try this again..

daz28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:12 pm 
Star Sniper

LR yelling at Vanek.. Check. That took 2:30. Of course it's TV fault, Lindy.

daz28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:14 pm 
Star Sniper

Our skate sharpener needs calibrating.

Used to like Loops, and his purserverance, but those comments are worth a puck to the head.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next