Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:47 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Quote:
Senators face WIN IT fresh off exhilarating win

SENATORS (18-15-5) at SABRES (17-17-3)

TV: CBC, MSG-B

Last 10: Ottawa 5-3-2; Buffalo 3-6-1

Season Series: Friday's clash at First Niagara Center marks the fifth of six meetings between these Northeast Division foes. The Sabres and Senators have split their first four head-to-head games this season, with two of them being decided after regulation. In their most recent meeting on Dec. 20, Erik Condra notched a pair of goals to lift Ottawa to a convincing 4-1 win over Buffalo at Scotiabank Place.

Big Story: Separated by only four points in the Eastern Conference standings, these division rivals hope to gain some ground on each other before the calendar year comes to a close. Buffalo returns home after dropping its second straight game, a 3-1 defeat at the hands of the Washington Capitals on Friday. The Senators, meanwhile, improved to 4-1-1 in their last six games with a 4-3 overtime victory over the Calgary Flames on Friday.

Team Scope:

Senators: While the first period of Ottawa's win over Calgary was one of its most forgettable ones of the season, the Senators stayed the course despite a 3-0 deficit and mounted a rally on one of the more memorable nights in franchise history. After Nick Foligno and Zack Smith scored in the second frame to swing the momentum in Ottawa's favor, Erik Karlsson notched the tying goal in the third period to ultimately help the Senators earn a point.

But that wasn't good enough for Daniel Alfredsson, as the Sens' captain notched his 400th career goal in overtime to will his club to a resounding come-from-behind victory in front of their home crowd.

"I think when we stepped out on the ice as a different team in the second, and especially in the third," Karlsson said. "We battled back, and in overtime we went for the win and we weren't scared of losing the game."

Sabres: Buffalo dropped its fifth straight road game on Friday in Washington and continues to be decimated by injuries and inconsistent play on both ends of the ice. While Ryan Miller allowed three goals on only 21 shots against the Capitals to lose for the fourth time in his last five outings, the Sabres' offense has been outscored 23-12 in its last six games. That unit staggered again Friday, as Jochen Hecht mustered the lone goal in another excruciating road defeat for Lindy Ruff's squad.

"It's not about bad luck after a while," Derek Roy told the Buffalo News after the game. "You can have bad luck for one or two games, but after that it's about finishing your chances."

Who's Hot: Alfredsson has compiled 4 goals and 7 assists in his last seven games. … Thomas Vanek, who assisted on Hecht's goal on Friday, has reeled off 4 goals and 6 assists during his current seven-game points streak.

Injury Report: Christian Ehrhoff (undisclosed) left Friday's game after a first-period scrap with Washington's Troy Brouwer and could miss weeks, according to Sabres coach Lindy Ruff. Andrej Sekera (upper body), Colin Stuart (knee), Tyler Ennis (ankle), Ville Leino (lower body), Corey Tropp (head) and Nathan Gerbe (concussion) have all missed time due to injury for the Sabres this month. … Ottawa is without forwards Peter Regin (shoulder) and Jesse Winchester (concussion).

Stat Pack: Alfredsson is sixth among active players in career goals -- behind only Jaromir Jagr (658), Teemu Selanne (648), Jarome Iginla (498), Jason Arnott (408) and Marian Hossa (405).

Puck Drop: "I wasn't really thinking whether I score or not, it's going to be No. 400. I was just trying to find a lane, and if I did, I was going to shoot. I saw it go in, and I saw Erik [Karlsson] jumping towards me and that's when I realized it. Obviously having family and friends here makes it that much more special." -- Alfredsson on his milestone goal scored in overtime on Friday against Calgary

(nhl.com)

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:55 am 
PP Quarterback

I've not posted in a GDT for a while. For all superstitious people I'll start again:

WIN A GOD DAMN HOCKEY GAME YOU OVERPAID FUCKERS

Puuh, that helped. :)

ksquier89
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:29 am 
PP Quarterback

We fucking suck. I am getting tired of this shit.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:47 am 
Captain Clutch

Ottawa will win, hands down. Please prove me wrong Sabres.

On a side note, if the Sabre lose and Tampa/Montreal win tonight the Sabres will plummet into 13th in the east and 23rd in the league. I see what their doing, getting into a good spot for a decent 1st rounder :doh:

Edit: My stats were wrong. The Sabres wouldn't plummet to 23rd in the league, they are already there. They would drop to 25th. Only five spots away from 30th!!!! WOOOOO HOOOOO

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Last edited by sabresindc on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

union jack
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:26 am 
Late-Round Gem

ksquier89 wrote:
We fucking suck. I am getting tired of this shit.

patkane88
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:29 am 
Captain Clutch

sabresindc wrote:
Ottawa will win, hands down. Please prove me wrong Sabres.

On a side note, if the Sabre lose and Tampa/Montreal win tonight the Sabres will plummet into 13th in the east and 23rd in the league. I see what their doing, getting into a good spot for a decent 1st rounder :doh:

They would take the wrong guy if they finish that bad. :roll: :?

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:42 am 
Captain Clutch

LOL, true

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:15 pm 
PP Quarterback

If we can't get into a decent position in February I'm all for tanking. History proves that in the salary cap area drafting in the middle of the pack doesn't take you anywhere. 15th is better than 9th and in our case 15th is probably better than 8th because I don't think we can beat the Flyers, Penguins, Rangers or Bruins.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:13 pm 
Star Sniper

There are some skilled forwards at the top of the 2012 draft class. Not sure the Sabres primary need is there though.

Middle of the pack there is decent talent; it's just not going to likely help our cause next season.

Again; let's address the cause of our problems, and stop looking to address the symptoms. :|

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:19 pm 
Captain Clutch

Howie Hodge wrote:
There are some skilled forwards at the top of the 2012 draft class. Not sure the Sabres primary need is there though.

Middle of the pack there is decent talent; it's just not going to likely help our cause next season.

Again; let's address the cause of our problems, and stop looking to address the symptoms. :|

I honestly would be fine with some trades for draft picks since we seem to develop decent talent. Bring up those who have showed their worth this season to fill the holes that the trades left and have next season as a developing season to let the kids gel with the vets and maybe a new system from a new coach.

Oh and Brennan has been called up for tonight to fill Ehrhoff spot. Gerbe is game time tonight but definite for Tuesday

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:52 pm 
PP Quarterback

Howie Hodge wrote:

The main cause for our problems is the team, so I want a top pick to improve it. If we miss the playoffs I hope they trade guys like Roy or Stafford for picks. Darcy has a decent draft record. I have no problem with his draft choices at all.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:36 pm 
Star Sniper

sabretoothpick wrote:
Howie Hodge wrote:

The main cause for our problems is the team, so I want a top pick to improve it. If we miss the playoffs I hope they trade guys like Roy or Stafford for picks. Darcy has a decent draft record. I have no problem with his draft choices at all.

I like Grigorenko, Yakupov, Forsberg, and Galchenyuk as forwards; and Dumba and Trouba as backliners. Which guys are you most impressed with?

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:34 pm 
PP Quarterback

Howie Hodge wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
Howie Hodge wrote:

I like Grigorenko, Yakupov, Forsberg, and Galchenyuk as forwards; and Dumba and Trouba as backliners. Which guys are you most impressed with?

I can't watch any junior hockey therefore I don't really know, but I guess I'll take any of them over most of our players. I've heard good things about Grigorenko but he'll probably be a top 5 pick. We really have to tank to get him.

EDIT: I just looked up that Grigorenko is a Center, so he would be my late christmas wish for the Sabres if we don't make the playoffs.

Toddmh
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:01 pm 
First Rounder

Hey sabresindc love that avatar lol I am going to borrow it for a non-sports board..ohh yah..Go Sabres :?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:18 pm 
Captain Dynasty

need a win

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:24 pm 
PP Quarterback

Atta Boyes, happy new year!

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:30 pm 
Captain Dynasty

anderson was stunned

Markus
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:50 pm 
Power Forward

Goal post is our friend...

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:53 pm 
PP Quarterback

That goal post has a better save percentage than Miller.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:02 pm 
Captain Clutch

Decent period, have a feeling there will be a few fists flying tonight. So what period do they take off??? I say third since they will be looking forward to partying for New Years