PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:49 am 
Franchise Defenseman

A huge game for the Sabres
Quote:
Bruins, Sabres try to build on victories

BRUINS (36-20-2) at SABRES (26-27-7)

TV: NESN (HD), MSG-Buffalo

LAST 10: Boston 4-6-0; Buffalo 5-3-2

Season Series: This is the fourth of six meetings between these Northeast Division rivals. Boston took the first two during its near-flawless November, winning 6-2 at home and 4-3 in a shootout at Buffalo. The Sabres gained a substantial measure of revenge with probably their best showing of the season, a 6-0 trouncing of the defending Stanley Cup champions on Feb. 8 at the First Niagara Center. Jason Pominville -- who leads Buffalo with four points in the season series -- tallied two goals that night, and Ryan Miller made 36 saves. Tyler Seguin tops all Bruins with three goals and five points against the Sabres this season, while Brad Marchand has two goals and two assists.
Big Story: Buffalo hopes to build on a three-game point streak as it looks to make a run at the postseason, while the Bruins aim to return to form on the heels of a noteworthy win at St. Louis. Since a three-game losing skid, the Sabres have gone 2-0-1 as they conclude a four-game homestand. With a victory against the Islanders on Tuesday, Buffalo jumped into 12th place in the Eastern Conference, a point ahead of both the Isles and Montreal and six points out of a playoff spot.

After sending the Blues to their first regulation home loss in 22 games, Boston visits Buffalo for the fifth stop of a season-high six-game road trip. The Bruins, who are 8-9-1 since they last won back-to-back games from Jan. 10-12, have a two-point lead over Ottawa for the top spot in the Northeast with four games in hand.

Team Scope:

Bruins: Having already dropped two straight, the deck was stacked against the B's Wednesday in St. Louis -- the Blues were riding a franchise-record 21-game point streak at home and hadn't lost in regulation to an Eastern opponent all season. However, Marchand scored twice and Milan Lucic and Chris Kelly each had a goal and an assist in the opening period, as Boston jumped out to a 2-0 lead 6:19 into the contest and held on for a 4-2 victory. The Blues tied the game midway through the opening period with two goals on their first five shots, but Tim Thomas settled in to stop the next 27 shots and 30 overall. Kelly's goal, his 15th of the season to tie a career high, gave the B's a 3-2 edge with 40 seconds left in the first and proved to be the game-winner.

"This was a big win for us after being shut out in the last game," said Marchand, whose 21 goals ties him for the team lead with Lucic. "We had a couple of losses in a row and we wanted to make sure we followed up with a good game. If we didn't win, we wanted to get back to playing our type of hockey. We had a great game tonight."

Sabres:Ryan Miller lost his shutout bid late in third period of Tuesday night's game, but he stopped the other 30 Islander shots to anchor a 2-1 victory. Pominville and Derek Roy each had a pair of assists for their second multi-point games in a row, while Tyler Myers and Thomas Vanek provided the offense with early goals in the first and second periods, respectively.

"We're happy, but at the same time, we've got to get some more points," Roy said. "We've got to keep winning hockey games. We can't win one, lose one anymore. We've got to put a streak together. We've got to gain some ground right now."

The schedule-makers have made it a hard task for Buffalo "to put a streak together" this weekend, though. After hosting the defending champs on Friday, the Sabres head to Madison Square Garden for a clash with the East-leading New York Rangers on Saturday night.

"It's a good test," coach Lindy Ruff told the team's website. "They've got good size, good grit; both of them. It's a good test for us. It'll tell us where we're at."

Who's Hot: Boston centers Seguin and Kelly each have points in three of their previous four. … Pominville, who has team highs of 23 goals and 36 assists, has points in eight of his last nine with six goals and six assists in that stretch. Roy has two goals and five assists during a four-game point streak after totaling just three goals and an assist in his prior 19 contests.

Injury Report: Boston forward Rich Peverley is out 4-6 weeks with a sprained right MCL, while forward Nathan Horton (concussion) remains on IR. … Buffalo defenseman Robyn Regehr left Tuesday's win in the first period with an upper-body injury, but is expected to play Friday. Brad Boyes (undisclosed) missed Thursday's practice and is questionable after also suffering an injury against the Islanders. Cody McCormick (upper body) has missed the last six games, but has started practicing with the team and is "getting closer" to returning, according to Ruff. Jochen Hecht is still sidelined with a concussion.

Stat Pack: It's easy to argue that Boson is the best third-period team in the NHL. The Bruins have a League-best plus-33 scoring differential in the final period and they are a perfect 24-for-24 this season when leading after two. … Each team's power play has been struggling mightily. The B's are 2 for 22 in their last 10 games, while Buffalo has converted just 1 of 33 chances in its last 12.

Puck Drop: It has been a rocky season for Miller, but if the Sabres are to going to make a run at the playoffs, he is the man who will be at the center of it. The 31-year-old netminder features an 18-17-4 record on the season, but he is 6-2-2 over his last 10 starts.

"It's been coming around for a little while here, and I do feel a little bit better about my game," Miller told the team's website. "There's a big build-up here towards the end of the season and I want to be as sharp as I can and gather as many wins as possible. Just trying to stay really calm and collected and watch the game. A big help has been the guys are coming through the middle a lot more. I'm getting pretty good reads on the play and when I have one-on-ones with the guys, I can focus on challenging that and it all kind of blends together."
(nhl.com)

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:53 am 
Franchise Defenseman

God I hate boston. If I become religious for a day, will my new diety smite those bastard bruins for me?

patkane88
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:01 am 
Captain Clutch

Marchand, go fuck yourself. I hope Kaleta puts that little douchebag on the IR tonight.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

patkane88
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:07 am 
Captain Clutch

Also keep your head up tonight Lucic because Kassian is up and he might have to introduce you to the IR just like he did to Sestito.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:08 am 
Superstar Goalie

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm 
PP Quarterback

patkane88 wrote:
Also keep your head up tonight Lucic because Kassian is up and he might have to introduce you to the IR just like he did to Sestito.

Kassian won't be out there against Lucic because he is on the 4th line and they don't play against top lines.
Also, the sabres don't have anybody (including Kassian) who has a chance in a fight with Lucic or Thornton.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:13 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

sabretoothpick wrote:
patkane88 wrote:

Kassian won't be out there against Lucic because he is on the 4th line and they don't play against top lines.
Also, the sabres don't have anybody (including Kassian) who has a chance in a fight with Lucic or Thornton.

Still, Kassian is our best hope for any sort of physical retribution. Goose and Patty have tried and gotten their asses kicked, SOMEONE needs to step up and hurt lucic.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 pm 
Superstar Goalie

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
patkane88 wrote:

Still, Kassian is our best hope for any sort of physical retribution. Goose and Patty have tried and gotten their asses kicked, SOMEONE needs to step up and hurt lucic.

I'd like to see Myers deck someone. Just once.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:00 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Meh, dudes a giraffe....you ever see a giraffe fight? It's fucking awkward. I'm not kidding, youtube some vides of giraffes fighting, it's actually pretty funny. And sad.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:08 pm 
Hart Winner

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Meh, dudes a giraffe....you ever see a giraffe fight? It's fucking awkward. I'm not kidding, youtube some vides of giraffes fighting, it's actually pretty funny. And sad.

They just flail their fucking necks around it's so funny despite there being two creatures who want each other dead.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:17 pm 
Superstar Goalie

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:

lmao, yes I've seen it. It's ridiculous, sad, and hilarious all at once.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:21 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

NYIntensity wrote:
YankeeInRaleigh wrote:

lmao, yes I've seen it. It's ridiculous, sad, and hilarious all at once.

like the Rep. primary

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:33 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

A couple of seasons ago I actually liked the B's.
That was a long time ago.

Fuck them. I hope they're embarrassed and bloody at the end of 60 minutes.

I want my 2 points.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:42 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Bring the pain tonight boys....

E X C E L L E N C E

sabresindc
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:22 pm 
Captain Clutch

I love the smug look on James Patrick's face. It'll be interesting how the team responses with Lindy behind the bench tonight.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:48 pm 
PP Quarterback

Bruins have managed to build a team of unlikeable assholes (except Bergeron). The only thing to like about the bruins is their marketing division.

Oh, and fuck you Mike Milbury.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:14 pm 
PP Quarterback

sabresindc wrote:

I love the smug look on James Patrick's face. It'll be interesting how the team responses with Lindy behind the bench tonight.

It was amazing to see how the team got up to play when James was at the helm. I want blood and lots of it. I want Kassian to spit out what teeth he has left in his head all over the ice after he beats the ever loving shit out of each and every one of them. I am hoping that Leino sprays their keep with a nice snow shower and drops 3 dimes for goals. Maybe a flying Ennis bodycheck. Gerbe taking a run at Chara would be icing on the cake for me.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:15 pm 
PP Quarterback

Kassian is our Lucic in training. Only less of a douche lol.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:32 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

ksquier89 wrote:
I want blood and lots of it. I want Kassian to spit out what teeth he has left in his head all over the ice after he beats the ever loving shit out of each and every one of them. I am hoping that Leino sprays their keep with a nice snow shower and drops 3 dimes for goals. Maybe a flying Ennis bodycheck. Gerbe taking a run at Chara would be icing on the cake for me.

Hell yeah! I was starting to think other people were not as hatredous (is too a word) of them as myself. Good man.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:35 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

BlueandYellow wrote:
YankeeInRaleigh wrote:

They just flail their fucking necks around it's so funny despite there being two creatures who want each other dead.

It's so strange, the whole time i'm watching these giraffe fight i'm thinking "oh shit man, watch out, your neck is gonna be SO sore in the morning!" I swear they did more damage to themselves than they did to each other. Thinking about it...I'm gonna have to nominate giraffes for 'most retarded fights' of the animal kingdom. Anyways, that is my argument for Tyler Myers not fighting.