It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

AudSabres
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:52 am 
Superstar Goalie

It may be the 18th game of the season, but it is the first for many fans without the only coach they have ever associated with the Buffalo Sabres. Now with the dust settled after the front office dropped a nuke on the Sabres fan base (although it was being called for, myself included), the Sabres have named Ron Rolston as the interim leader of a Buffalo team that is struggling to get back on track and develop some type of identity. Also, Kevin Porter will be pulling a Sabres jersey over his head for the first time as they head into the centre of the hockey universe to take on the Leafs.

From my personal standpoint, I don't know what to expect tonight. A win would be nice but I think it’s safe to say there will be a feeling out period between the new bench boss and his players. I just hope it doesn't take too long for each side to get on the same page.

Thanks for your spirit, Lindy, but just as you brought a new attitude to the team, it's time for another message to be sent to the players.

Now, hope this lights a fire under the team and we can get two points tonight!

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:00 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Life always seems to go a bit more smooth when the Sabres win but I'm buckled in for the long haul. This is the beginning of what could be (if done right) a great rebuild for this organization. I'm not concerned with this season as much as I am for the moves that will be made this summer and the personnel changes that will effect direction leadership with this group. I would love to see a different "system" and look forward to something NEW for a change.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:23 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

I'm busting out one of the French Connection limited edition Labatt Blue sets Pat Green sent me for this game.
Win or lose, this is a special occasion.

I want my 2 points.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:04 pm 

Ron Rolston on the ice for the first time as coach.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:08 pm 
Superstar Goalie

it feels so weird

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:16 pm 

Displaced Fan wrote:
it feels so weird

Yeah...it'll just plain look weird to have someone else behind the bench tonight.

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:24 pm 
Penalty Killer

I'll be listening to the game on WGR, as usual. I'll be trying not to reach through my laptop to strangle that bunch of sanctimonious yahoos who talk between periods, also as usual. I'm anxious to hear what you guys have to say about the atmosphere surrounding Rolston & the team. I can't decide if I'm cheering for the team to pick up & play well for the new guy, or tank even worse & prove that Lindy was NOT the issue... :?

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:57 pm 
Power Forward

Nuthatch wrote:
I'll be listening to the game on WGR, as usual. I'll be trying not to reach through my laptop to strangle that bunch of sanctimonious yahoos who talk between periods, also as usual. I'm anxious to hear what you guys have to say about the atmosphere surrounding Rolston & the team. I can't decide if I'm cheering for the team to pick up & play well for the new guy, or tank even worse & prove that Lindy was NOT the issue... :?

your wrong imo. lindy wasnt the ONLY issue. the issue is the team as a whole. i hope this downward spiral just continues and we get a wholesale change for next season.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:12 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I don't know if doing well or bad for the rest of the season would say much about Ruff. I mean, how are you supposed to shrug off 15+ years of one system overnight in favor of a new one? I would think that to really get a new game plan together and get a new system in place would take a whole summer at least right? I could be wrong.....I frequently am.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:29 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
...Labatt Blue....this is a special occasion.

Error Error: Does not compute...

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 pm 

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:
...Labatt Blue....this is a special occasion.

Error Error: Does not compute...

Don't worry, after drinking the French Connection I have a nice selection of things like
Pliny the Elder
Blind Pig
Simtra
Five Golden Rings
Oro de Calablaza
etc.

The Blue is purely for superstitious reasons...besides, Labatt is actually a hard beer to find around here :)

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:26 pm 
Cup Winner

I told myself last game I'm not watching this team anymore and I was jumping on a western conference bandwagon. But since we have a new coach I can wipe the slate clean and watch them again.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
I told myself last game I'm not watching this team anymore and I was jumping on a western conference bandwagon. But since we have a new coach I can wipe the slate clean and watch them again.

I was a hairs breadth away from watching a canes game (that the sabres weren't in)

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:29 pm 
Hart Winner

What people just don't get is that the Lindy Ruff fire decision wasn't supposed to be an immediate effect... If we're blowing this hard and we're going in a downward spiral every year, Lindy obviously isn't too precious to lose.

Getting used to a new system might take a while, so I won't be surprised if they still play crappy. I'll be surprised if they play exactly the same, though, cause of the new system.

daz28
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:39 pm 
Star Sniper

Crosscheck wrote:
Ron Rolston on the ice for the first time as coach.

I hope his scuba gear is in the locker room, because he's probably going to be in over his head. Carlyle will look to pwn him tonight. We have to hope we get a 'new coach' bump out of the players. I think Grigorenko is the only one with less pro experience than Rolston. lol

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:42 pm 
PP Quarterback

BlueandYellow wrote:
I'll be surprised if they play exactly the same, though, cause of the new system.

Yeah right, because you can implement a new system with one pre-game practice. The system won't be changed today, the only thing that might change today are the lines.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:16 pm 
Cup Winner

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

I was a hairs breadth away from watching a canes game (that the sabres weren't in)

If they weren't blacked out all the time on GCL, I was going to watch some of them, but I decided to go Western conference since I hate the rest of the East.

But a new coach has given me a new reason to watch this team lose.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:54 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
I'm busting out one of the French Connection limited edition Labatt Blue sets Pat Green sent me for this game.

Pat Green didn't get me any of those, and if memory serves, he said he'd take care of BOTH of us. Not that my dad couldn't have done it, but he never told me he would.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:57 pm 

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:

Pat Green didn't get me any of those, and if memory serves, he said he'd take care of BOTH of us. Not that my dad couldn't have done it, but he never told me he would.

I have a stash...I could get a set to you if you'd like :)

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:59 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:

I have a stash...I could get a set to you if you'd like :)

Maybe, but I'd have to send you some local beer you can't get there in exchange.