It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:48 pm 
Cup Winner

I think the goatheads were much better than what we have now and of course I didn't know of the original logo when I first got into some hockey, they only ever wore the Goats.

They could use them as an alternative third.

But Black, Red, and White, not Blue and Gold.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:50 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I agree, Rob. White jerseys always look nicer, and it's awesome to see all the opposing colors come to you.

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:28 pm 
Garbage Man

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
I think the goatheads were much better than what we have now and of course I didn't know of the original logo when I first got into some hockey, they only ever wore the Goats.

I don't think you are allowed to use any colors but your official team colors for the alternate jersey.

Besides, black and red are the colors of the Ottawa Senators (and the Carolina Hurricanes and the New Jersey Devils).

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:32 pm 
Cup Winner

Godzilla1960 wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

I don't think you are allowed to use any colors but your official team colors for the alternate jersey.

Besides, black and red are the colors of the Ottawa Senators (and the Carolina Hurricanes and the New Jersey Devils).

Didn't know that, I would just prefer to remake the Goathead and use it as the third in it's current colors instead of a recolor.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:53 am 
Captain Dynasty

i hear every year "going back to home whites... going back to home whites" but it never happens. its to the point, i guess it would seem slightly foreign to me now.

Wozniak
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:47 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Godzilla1960 wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

where is there powder blue in Pittsburghs color scheme?

as for the red and black...those were hot colors in the 90's

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:51 am 
Star Sniper

Wozniak wrote:
Godzilla1960 wrote:

I think Syndey's diapers are powder blue when they wear the regular threads......

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:47 am 
Garbage Man

Wozniak wrote:
Godzilla1960 wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

Good point. I thought the rule was you had to stay within your approved colors, but I can't find anything about it in the NHL rulebook governing uniforms, so either I am misinformed or the NHL changed the rules (as they have done twice with the home and away white or color jersey rule).

AudSabres
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:30 am 
Superstar Goalie

This is going to bug me but I'm pretty sure I seen it somewhere as well, that as long as you stay within your official team colors you can have pretty much any kind of jersey you like that is relevant to your team.

However, I'd assume there are some exceptions to that rule because if I am not mistaken, the Florida Panthers do not have powder/baby blue in their color scheme. Might be wrong, but not sure..

I'd love to see them go back to the old format though (Whites: Home, Darks: Road). Maybe keep the 3rds specifically for home games though. Pre lockout era, some teams had to travel with all 3 sets of uniforms depending on what the schedule was for the home teams sweaters.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:25 pm 
Garbage Man

While searching for an answer on what colors are allowed I came across a blog with a good explanation on why teams went from color at home to white at home and then back to color at home. As with most things in life, money was the ultimate root cause.

Originally teams wore their color jerseys at home and the visiting team wore white. However, this made for visually boring home games for the fans. Bruins fans always saw a game in which the home boys wore black and the visitors wore white. Every game looked the same. In the 1970s the NHL switched the sweater rule, allowing fans to see a wide variety of colorful jerseys worn by the visiting teams.

However, once the NHL introduced the third jersey (1995) teams had an incentive to wear these sweaters in front of the home crowd in order to stimulate sales of this additional jersey. So, in 2003 the league switched to colors at home and white on the road, allowing teams to rep their alternates.

The change sucks for "white out" nights (why wear the color of the visiting team?), but it helps uniform sales. The NHL is, first and foremost, a business and the switch on the uniform policy is a business decision.

Here is a trivia question for you - what is the only NHL team never to use an alternate or throwback jersey?

AudSabres
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:41 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I vote (until this season coming up) The NJ Devils.

They'll be wear their "Christmas" colors for one game.

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:06 pm 
Garbage Man

AudSabres wrote:
I vote (until this season coming up) The NJ Devils.

They'll be wear their "Christmas" colors for one game.

Yes, indeed.

What is this about their Christmas colors? Have they come up with a third jersey? I would think there could be all kinds of possibilities with the name Devils.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:16 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Voila..

http://www.dropthepucks.com/Frederickto ... bnyfrt.JPG

Christmas jersey. lol. Ken Daneyko joked that back in the 80's when the team played bad, at least they looked good for the holidays in one sense :lol:

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:28 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

It's Detroit.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:55 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Actually, the Deadwings wore their old uni's in last years Winter Classic, P-man. But you do have a good point. Technically, it would be a toss up between the wings and devils as that jersey was never worn by Detroit since they've been known as the "Redwings". It was the old Detroit Falcons if I'm not mistaken, however the Wings used it to represent the past of Detroit hockey so that would leave two teams who have never worn a 3rd jersey or their own or a TBC sweater.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:56 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Detroit Cougars, I think...could be wrong. But, if we exclude Winter Classics, it's the Red Wings once the Devils wear that gnarly old uni on St. Paddy's.

Godzilla1960
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:28 pm 
Garbage Man

mechaphil wrote:
It's Detroit.

Neither Detroit nor Montreal has alternate third jerseys, but Detroit wore a throwback for the Classic and Montreal brought out retros for their 100th (although I don't think either tream has an official third jersey).

Montalo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:18 pm 
PP Quarterback

Godzilla1960 wrote:
mechaphil wrote:
It's Detroit.

Neither Detroit nor Montreal has alternate third jerseys, but Detroit wore a throwback for the Classic and Montreal brought out retros for their 100th (although I don't think either tream has an official third jersey).

my information might be outdated, but

before the EDGE switch at least, this was the third jersey

AudSabres
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:35 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Montalo wrote:
Godzilla1960 wrote:
mechaphil wrote:
It's Detroit.

my information might be outdated, but

before the EDGE switch at least, this was the third jersey

I thought they wore these a handfull of times after the heritage classic in Edmonton that season. Along with this one, they wore like 5 others for their 100 aniversary.

On that Detroit jersey, I managed to dig this info up, compliments of the site "Third Sting Goalie";

"The second annual Winter Classic in 2009 saw the Chicago Blackhawks host the Detroit Red Wings at historic Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs baseball club. Detroit would win the game by a score of 6-4 in front of 40,818. The Red Wings would go all the way back to the 1926 Detroit Cougars for the inspiration for their jerseys, worn during the first season of the franchise, while the Blackhawks would select the highly attractive jerseys worn in 1935 as their inspiration."

You were right, Phil. It was the ones which said, "DETROIT" across the front which were worn in 1992 for the NHL's 75th anniversary which I was thinking of for the "Falcons". This jersey would change as they would drop the "Falcons" from the lettering on the front to just "Detroit" on a barberpoled sweater. I found this tidbit of info on the history of the team names, compliments of wiki:

"In 1930, the Cougars were renamed the Falcons,[4] but their woes continued, as they usually finished near the bottom of the standings, even though they made the playoffs again in 1932.

The Falcons would again change their name in 1932. At the suggestion of new owner James E. Norris, the team became known as the Detroit Red Wings. Norris chose the name as an homage to the hockey team he had been affiliated with, the Montreal Hockey Club, who were nicknamed the Winged Wheelers. He also designed the first logo for the Red Wings."

patkane88
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:42 pm 
Captain Clutch

Godzilla1960 wrote:
mechaphil wrote:
It's Detroit.

I would like to see the wings use their winter classic jerseys as their thirds.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13