It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:33 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

And when he was off, which was the majority of the time, he was FUCKING OFF. Good luck, Max, but I don't particularly miss you.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:34 pm 
I really wish he would have got his head out of his ass but thems the breaks. My mother loves him and would call every few weeks when he scored a goal. haha!

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:40 pm 
Star Sniper

Personally, I don't care if Max gets a contract from Atlanta or not. If he plays well and earns one, good for him.

If he does though; he is an Atlanta Thrasher, and as such I don't wish him - same as any other Thrasher, any luck against our team. As far as other teams he plays against, there is no reason for us to care how he performs.

I will predict that he never comes close to averaging a point a game though.

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:50 pm 
Star Sniper

nnyfan wrote:
I hope Max gets that contract, does well and hands us our ass when they meet us. WE wouldn't deserve it, as fans, but the Max haters and Lindy and management would. I miss Max...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1q0ZFUcLE&feature=fvsr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VcAKESMi_E&feature=related

When he was on, he was ON!

I hope you can find the proper therapy to recover from your dependency on a selfish, hard-headed, and over-hyped former Sabre that never was as good as he (and his fans) thinks he is.

nnyfan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:53 am 
Textbook Grinder

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
nnyfan wrote:
I hope Max gets that contract, does well and hands us our ass when they meet us. WE wouldn't deserve it, as fans, but the Max haters and Lindy and management would. I miss Max...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1q0ZFUcLE&feature=fvsr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VcAKESMi_E&feature=related

When he was on, he was ON!

I hope you can find the proper therapy to recover from your dependency on a selfish, hard-headed, and over-hyped former Sabre that never was as good as he (and his fans) thinks he is.

:obscene-buttmoon:

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:56 am 
Star Sniper

That sums it up if an emoticon is all Max has left as a defense.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:10 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

nnyfan wrote:

I, as a fan, deserved to have a forward with his talent play a team game instead of pond hockey with himself for 76 games a year. Oh sure, he's have a couple highlight reel goals, here and there, but more often than not he was a turnover machine. No presence on the ice, never used his teammates. I can't begin to count the number of times that the other 4 guys on the ice stopped skating around and just watched because they couldn't figure out what the guy was trying to do.

Max has WAY more opportunities to correct his game than he should have, all under the pretense that 'you can't teach speed'. Too bad he never took those opportunities to heart.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:21 am 
rbochan wrote:
I find it rather shocking that folks are being so nasty about a player who was one of the longest tenured Sabres on the roster...

A player who provided some amazing highlight reels over the years (i.e. the "360" goal against TB), even though he "can't score".

A player that created a tremendous amount of open space on both ends of the ice simply with his remarkable skating ability. How many scoring chances has he created not only for himself, but teammates as well, over the years simply by forcing defensemen to focus all of their attention upon him? But all he can do is "give away the puck", eh?

Just because some folks see him as an "underachiever" doesn't negate the fact that he proudly wore whatever colors the Sabres organization threw at him over the past NINE PLUS YEARS. Nobody can ever take away the fact that he played all out and at least tried to make the most out of the shifts he was given under Lindy's wonderful tutelage and whacked out lines. And another hearty FUCK YOU to Ruff, for not dressing him for his last game, you classless asshole.

I wish every player on the team played with the heart he has.
Max will always be one of my favorite Sabres, even if he ends up playing for (insert random team here). I wish him nothing but the best.

I think most of the anti-Max talk comes from how he has played over the last two years. I love watching him play. His fall wasn't all his fault and I agree with you completely that he was miss managed. A guy like him under a different coach and system would be a dream to have in my opinion. He has great speed and great hands, just doesn't use his teammates when he should which creates lots of offsides and giveaways. The other thing that I noticed the last two years was how much he missed the net when he shot. I really liked him and wish he would have found his stride again with the Sabres but since he didn't i hope a coach finds a way to shine him up again.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:02 pm 
Mrs. Miller

According to Bob McKenzie's Twitter, Max has signed a deal with Atlanta.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/4475099823

Good luck, Max.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:04 pm 
Well i guess the true test is coming up soon for him. Will he shine and show everyone that it was Ruff's mismanagement or will he show that he's just not what he used to be?

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:26 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I get very agitated when I keep reading these opinions that Max was 'mismanged'.

He 'never got top line minutes'....except when he played with Roy and Vanek.

He was 'never given a chance'....except when he would turn the puck over 10 times in one game and NOT get benched like others would be for the same offenses.

When you compare Max's tenure with the Sabres to others, he had a MUCH longer leash than just about anyone else that's played during the same timeframe. MUCH longer. He had more opportunities than others who might have been more deserving, and he did the same things every time. Aside from very brief bursts where he would use his speed to create opportunities, he always fell back into the same habits. Solo play. No backchecking. Inordinately long shifts. Terrible offensive zone turnovers.

Max is what he is. A VERY fast skater with above average puck handling skills who is prone to bad turnovers, and not using his linemates. He's been that way his entire career, and he's not going to change.

icehound
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:29 pm 
Star Sniper

...has he even made the cut? I don't know that the Thrashers have red-tagged anyone yet.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:11 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

rbochan wrote:
Signed. $800k. One year.

Good luck Max!

Once upon a time he was my favorite player to watch.
I hope he can fit in somewhere...seems like a gamble at this point but the price is right.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:50 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Don't fuck it up, Max. Don't fuck it up.

And please give some of those juicy turnovers you love so much to the Sabres, mmkay? :D

End The Curse
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:05 pm 
Star Sniper

He made it... http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=293075

Now I suddenly feel better about our chances of beating those motherfuckers.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

icehound
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:26 pm 
Star Sniper

Ironic how he sat on his $3.5 mil/year while he was here, and now he'd gladly take $800k?

Fucker. Darcy really dropped the ball on that one...

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:27 pm 
Cup Winner

icehound wrote:
Ironic how he sat on his $3.5 mil/year while he was here, and now he'd gladly take $800k?

Fucker. Darcy really dropped the ball on that one...

When he signed that contract he was over a PPG player and led the Sabres in points. He was worth it at the time, but not as time went on.

Good luck to him, hope he has a career year to prove he just needed a change of scenery.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

icehound
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:32 pm 
Star Sniper

...I remember how it went down. I just didn't like how he went down...

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:52 pm 
Star Sniper

icehound wrote:
...I remember how it went down. I just didn't like how he went down...

I don't remember that; I must have had a rough nite at ETC's pub....!! :o

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:54 pm 
Star Sniper

rbochan wrote:
Signed. $800k. One year.

Good luck Max!

I would have thought he'd have gotten a bit more than that in the KHL. Then again, the Russian Mob "alledgedly" has whacked him before - and this just lends credibility to that story....