PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:32 pm 
Page Side

Let the games begin!

ETC, what's your take?

icehound
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:44 pm 
Star Sniper

At this point, if Baum's smart - which I think he is (it's not like he's another Lance Ito) - He takes it to auction, and lets another court unravel the ownership controversy.

Balsillie bids $242.5 mil - The NHL $140 mil...What covers the debts? What gives all the creditors the biggest chunk of cake?

"Thank you Mr. Balsillie, please issue a check to the court clerk, on your way out."

..What could follow after these proceedings may be an epic trainwreck. The NHL refuses to acknowledge Balsillie as a sanctioned owner, and the Coyotes are not allowed to compete in the NHL, unless an emergency vote by the incumbent ownership authorizes them to.

The player contracts are nullified or disavowed? The NHLPA steps in?

Hooo-boy. It will get even more ridiculous. Gotta sit back and watch this craziness really catch fire. The best is yet to come.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:56 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i couldnt see the NHL not allowing the yotes NOT to play.. theres bad business, and then theres that. i think its time bettman admits defeat, and allows the relocation of the yotes, AFTER this season. i think betts would be smart and say, ok, fine, BUT after this season. do you comply? if he does not, the courts say, ok, fuck you balls.

the move AFTER the season would allow the NHL to do alignment and such, if its needed and new jerseys and such, logos. tickets, sponsorships. ect.

icehound
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:18 pm 
Star Sniper

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
i couldnt see the NHL not allowing the yotes NOT to play.. theres bad business, and then theres that. i think its time bettman admits defeat...

Somehow, I really, honestly, truly can't see Bettman accepting such a proverbial "slap in the face" too graciously.

It would be so humiliating an admission of defeat, that I don't think Gary Bettman would be able to openly acknowledge and concede to such an abysmal failure.

One would think that he might have the largesse to resign, in the face of the unwanted scrutiny and embarassment he's brought down on the ownership. But I believe him to be egotistical and mean-spirited enough to drag it out to the bitter end.

Hence, the greater chance for more fireworks...

End The Curse
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:37 pm 
Star Sniper

I think that Balsillie's bid will be cleared by Judge Baum, Moyes will obviously opt to accept the offer over the inferior NHL bid, the judge will have no choice but to allow it to stand, and then the NHL will begin the appeal process. From there, well, I have no clue what to expect.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:39 pm 
I just hope that this spells the end of Bettman....what a day that will be. :dance:

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:25 pm 
Star Sniper

Again; Bettman represents the NHL owners. If he were a rogue here, the owners would have stepped in by now....

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:30 pm 
Star Sniper

"What you talkin bout Ice??

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Los9090
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:16 am 
Superstar Goalie

Well, it looks like Balsillie will get his wish.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:28 am 
Star Sniper

Live blog covering today's trial...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/c ... le1281972/

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:34 am 
Page Side

End The Curse wrote:

Nice! Thanks.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:47 am 
Star Sniper

Call me nuts, but it wouldn't surprise me if Bettman and Balsillie are actually not as unwilling to work together as everybody thinks. I believe Bettman is hoping Balsillie will take on MLSE in litigation as this moves forward, because they are trying to muscle the league with their insistence on claiming to posses total veto power.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:00 pm 
The live blog feed is pretty good so far.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:01 pm 
Star Sniper

Displaced Fan wrote:
The live blog feed is pretty good so far.

I agree. This I blurb I found pretty powerful:

The Globe and Mail:
Judge asks NHL lawyer if it 's correct league bid could leave as little as $2-million for creditors. Laywer Greg Milmoe said yes. Judge not impressed.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:03 pm 
Yeah he seems to be seeing through the cloud of bull

End The Curse
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:03 pm 
Star Sniper

Update:

Paul Waldie: Judge is giving NHL lawyers a hard time. "How do I approve that offer?" he asked referring to the NHL's bid.

Last edited by End The Curse on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:04 pm 
The NHL actually thinks their bid is legit and worthy....and the judge simply says "Oh reeeeeeally now?" :lol:

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:24 pm 
"Under questioning from NHL lawyers, Wrights says there is no hope for hockey in Phoenix. There is no fan support, he says. "

Well no shit :roll:

End The Curse
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:49 pm 
Star Sniper

I know it's early, but it doesn't sound good at all for Bettman's bid right now.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:35 pm 
Star Sniper

Bombshell from the courtroom:

The Globe and Mail:

Judge Baum just caused a stir when he told one of the lawyers there is a third possibility in this case - no sale. "I would say that's more than a possibility," the judge added.