It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Los9090
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:57 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Phil is going to go the offer sheet route. Well, Phil, good luck getting a good one thanks to your shoulder injury.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bru ... h_talking/

icehound
 Post subject: Re: Phil Kessel update
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 pm 
Star Sniper

He may not be available to play until December - That's why no one's tossing sheets his way...

This is ugly, any way one looks at it - I really wish the Bruins had the cap to just sign him; after all they've done to develop him.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 pm 
Star Sniper

Burke said he wouldn't ask Kaberle to make the move. Burke said he won't trade Schenn; who Boston wants in this deal.

Chiarelli can't afford to sign Kessel for $4 million per; he needs room to resign Lucic after this season.

I think Burke is letting Chiarelli know he will extend an offer sheet if Chiarelli doesn't make a deal for Kessel.

They said on The Bill Waters show that something may well happen over the weekend on this.

Stay tuned.... :think:

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:27 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Ya know what, I'd make sure I had space for Looch before I made sure I had space for Kessel, too.

Los9090
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:17 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Yeah, it will be a midseason thing before we see anything in relation to this. Unless there is a team that's REALLY wants him so Phil can at least get aquainted with that team or whatever.

icehound
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:29 pm 
Star Sniper

Howie Hodge wrote:
...I think Burke is letting Chiarelli know he will extend an offer sheet if Chiarelli doesn't make a deal for Kessel....

Burke had publicly stated he would NEVER go the offer-sheet route, after Lowe snagged Penner from the Ducks...He vilified the Edmonton GM for having done something he believed to be so sleazy.

Let's see how his scruples stand the tests of time, temptation and convenience.

Los9090
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:38 pm 
Superstar Goalie

icehound wrote:
Howie Hodge wrote:
...I think Burke is letting Chiarelli know he will extend an offer sheet if Chiarelli doesn't make a deal for Kessel....

Burke had publicly stated he would NEVER go the offer-sheet route, after Lowe snagged Penner from the Ducks...He vilified the Edmonton GM for having done something he believed to be so sleazy.

Let's see how his scruples stand the tests of time, temptation and convenience.

I got the impression from what Burke was saying recently about the Penner thing was that he would prefer to be notified and that he would do the same thing.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:39 pm 
Star Sniper

I have been listening to Burke on 640 AM Toronto. What he said was that he would never blindside another GM by putting out an offer sheet. His beef was Lowe putting out inflated offers to players, thus forcing them to either overpay (such as Buffalo with Vanek), or having to write off a player because he received a contract over the player's market value (Penner).

He has also said the offer sheet is a part of the CBA, and therefore fair game - provided the spirit of the rule is followed.

Chiarelli can't afford Kessel - and everyone knows that. Chiarelli is receiving offers; so he knows who wants Kessel. If he holds out for more than what the other teams foresee as fair market value; then someone will sign him to an offer sheet. It would not be blindsiding Chiarelli.

It is up to Chiarelli to either shit - or get off the pot with this one.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:26 pm 
Star Sniper

ESPN is reporting a possible package deal with The LA Kings for Kessel. Sorry - I forgot where I saw that.

I personally think Phil wants to play in Toronto, and will. Chiarelli has stated he now expects two - 1'st round picks, AND a second for Kessel.

Much posturing, I think. Chiarelli dismisses the offer sheet prospect by claiming he has ownerships blessing to match any offer sheets.

With the prospect of having to move assets to fit in Kessel this year, and still having to resign Lucic next year, I think Chiarelli's bullshitting.

I think he'll end up getting a couple picks and a prospect; unless the deal for Kessel involves more players. That is what they think in Toronto currently; that a move with the Leafs is a distinct possibility, just that other players need to be involved to make this work.

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:25 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

i doubt burke would give up two first rounders. and if kessel can't play until december boston's gm would be stupid to think he could get a high price for an injured player. i mean sure kessel is a talent but injuries do not help trades.

icehound
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:41 pm 
Star Sniper

I believe that it's been reported that Burke already made such an offer, to Chiarelli - He's pursuing Kessel with some determination.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:53 pm 
Star Sniper

I have heard that Ice. Burke believes the Leafs will finish high enough the next two years to make those first round picks middle to late picks. Bit of a gamble there because there is still many questions regarding The Leafs....

adambuffalo
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:36 am 
First Rounder

I've heard Burke has offered two 1sts and a 2nd for Kessel and a 3rd. Right now everywhere I read Boston is going to take the best offer available. Now if I'm Boston I have to look at it in a different light. If that is the offer Burke gave, I would go to Nashville (apparently in the running) and say Burke's offering this we'll trade you Kessel for two 1sts and call it done.
Sure Burke's offer is better, but I have two problems with it. First, and foremost Toronto and Boston play in the ssame division. Does Boston want to play Kessel 6 times a year for however long the Leafs sign him for? Second, I would do it because Burke has been putting the Bruins up against the wall for weeks now. Threatening the offer sheet (even if Burke says he isn't, just bringing it up is a threat) and waiting right until the season is about to start, which would handcuff Boston into not being able to match is all dirty (or smart) for Burke to be doing.
To sum it up, do what ever you can to screw Burke, please Boston.

Los9090
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:07 am 
Superstar Goalie

Okay, so one report yesterday in the Boston Herald states that a trade is imminent and four teams are involved. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hock ... de_likely/

Then one today says that the Bruins might be able to sign him.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hock ... position=3

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:18 pm 
Star Sniper

The issue is that Kessel wants to leave. Chiarelli says he could find room (make room) if Kessel "wanted" to stay. He doesn't want to stay; thus the impasse. Chiarelli isn't going to move people to fit in a player who doesn't want to be in Boston.

icehound
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:25 pm 
Star Sniper

Kessel's good; lots of upside - But: He's out until December (maybe) has had a few motivational issues, in the past (and just because Claude Julien found a way to get the most out of the kid, doesn't make it necessarily so, on another team.)

He's obviously undersized, has gone through stretches where he's Pominvilled quite a few of his shots, and has numbers that were definitely bolstered by the best set-up man in the whole league, in Marc Savard...

Everybody, in this situation, is pretty much talking out their asses about his perceived value: Kessel's agent, Burke and Chiarelli (mainly because he's looking for a shrewd deal...)

Much as I like the kid, he's starting to smell like Heatley-Lite.

Jim Bob
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:02 pm 
Penalty Killer

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey ... 1-sun.html

Radulov is a piece of the Preds offer for Kessel.

Although, Phil appears to prefer playing in Toronto, so that may kill the Nashville option.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:17 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Darren Dreger is reporting the deal is done, save the final call from Boston to Toronto.

Story found here

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:14 pm 
Star Sniper

All the sources I read said the same thing; a deal needs to be signed by Kessel to make it official.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:28 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

It is done

Phil Kessel to Maple Leafs for 1st and 2nd (2010) and a 1st (2011), immediately signs 5-year, $27mil contract