It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:00 am 
Star Sniper

REPORT: FLEURY'S BOOK REVEALS HE WAS SEXUALLY ABUSED TSN.CA STAFF

His professional hockey career may be over, but it appears Theoren Fleury has one more story to tell.

According to a report by Sun Media on Friday, Fleury will reveal in his tell-all book next week that he was sexually abused by his former junior coach Graham James.

It would be the second time James has been accused of sexual assault. The former head coach of the WHL's Moose Jaw Warriors, Swift Current Broncos and Calgary Hitmen was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison after former NHLer Sheldon Kennedy made similar allegations in 1996.

Graham was head coach of the Warriors in 1984-85 when 16-year-old Fleury and 15-year-old Kennedy were on the team.

The report indicates Kennedy knew Fleury was also a victim of James.

"I knew, but it wasn't my place to say anything," Kennedy told Sun Media. "I made a commitment to myself I wasn't blowing the whistle on anybody. I did know deep down Theo was going to have to deal with it one way or another."

Over his 15-year NHL career, Fleury battled alcohol abuse and was suspended by the league in 2003 for contravening the league's substance abuse and behaviour policy. He was reinstated this fall, enabling him to attempt a comeback with the Calgary Flames at the age of 41. He was released by the team last month.

Kennedy turned his efforts toward several programs aimed at helping children who are victims of sexual abuse and the report indicates Fleury would like to follow the same path.

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:01 am 
Star Sniper

Sobering story; but one that has been suspected for years, especially after Sheldon Kennedy came forward in 1996 about the abuse Graham James inflicted on some of his players.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:06 am 
Star Sniper

That fucking piece of shit shouldn't be sent to prison, he should be fried in an electric chair.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

Wyohomeboy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:10 am 
Power Forward

Only 3 1/2 yrs, what the fuck.

That dude is a piece of shit that fucked up a number of other peoples lives. I am way pro capital punishment for these types of crimes. :violence-instagib:

acrossthelines
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:14 am 
Superstar Goalie

Oh, that is disgusting. I do not understand why anyone would ever do such a thing... I can understand pedophiles to a great extent if they are looked at as being fundamentally broken + within the context of their lives, but not someone like Graham James.

I hope that, for his sake, Fleury has been able to forgive.

‎"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Khalil Gibran

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:17 am 
Franchise Defenseman

I hope Bubba takes a liking to him in prison.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:24 am 
Star Sniper

James is no longer in prison. According to what Sheldon Kennedy told Jim Rome in 2006, James fled the country, and moved to Europe. Kennedy said James was coaching youth hockey in Spain....

icehound
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:49 pm 
Star Sniper

If he tries that shit overseas, and someone catches wind of it, they'll find his lifeless corpse in some shallow ditch.

Fucking with kids; the most heinous of crimes.

Timbo Slice
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:50 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Howie Hodge wrote:
James is no longer in prison. According to what Sheldon Kennedy told Jim Rome in 2006, James fled the country, and moved to Europe. Kennedy said James was coaching youth hockey in Spain....

I hope Bubba takes a liking to him in Spain, then. Ha ha ha, is he seriously coaching? Who would hire him?

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:51 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I talk a lot of shit, but I'm generally not a violent person.

However, I have a special level of rage for kid touchers. I want to do extreme physical harm to anyone that does this sort of shit to a defenseless child. I did it once when I still worked on the ambulance. The only reason I'm not in jail was BECAUSE I was working on the ambulance, and got an extreme professional courtesy from the BPD.

Be well Theo. Takes a strong person to admit this happened, and and even stronger one to channel one's own bad experiences to help others.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:25 pm 
Star Sniper

It is, undoubtably a more serious and deep rooted violation of a person's soul than we generally care to acknowledge. The victims of these crimes feel a sense of guilt and shame that no human should have to bear. It is a crime that should be dealt with more harshly than it is. The problem is largely one of a burden of proof. I also think failure to deal more harshly with it is a matter of denial.

Squanto, I hear you loud and clear. I was a Social Worker for several years, and there are several times I had to restrain myself. The fact that it is mostly a vicious cycle is a sobering thought as well; as it means most assailants were in fact victims themselves at some point.

That doesn't override the accoutability people have as decision making adults in my books though.