All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

icehound
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:47 pm 
Star Sniper

Courtesy of Faceoff.com:

A tragic 10

"...fear of flying led Sanderson, a heavy drinker since his teen years, to consume huge quantities of booze on team flights. Eventually he began to use cocaine, at first only during the summer and then during the season. When he finally wore out his welcome in Pittsburgh in 1977, he claimed to have spent millions of dollars "paying for drugs, booze, parties and hanging out with all the cool people."

Examples of drug abuse among 10 celebrated NHL players - Their stories and their tragic consequences.

I grew up worshipping Sanderson's penalty-killing abilities - A "crazy-tough" player, with limitless talent and finesse.

I remember his decline was embarassing; almost shameful to watch.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:53 pm 
Star Sniper

Derek Sanderson was indeed a splendid player. Even on the decline his skill was often evident; of course he was still not 30 yet. I remember him playing for St. Louis, and scoring a great goal against us. He went in on his back hand, and made it look like he was trying to go around our keeper. He sold the move, then quickly moved it on to his forehand and snapped a shot into an almost empty goal. I have used that move (though I am a right hander) several times over the years - though not nearly as gracefully as Derek did.

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Markus
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:24 pm 
Power Forward

Out of all the sports in the world, I always consider hockey one of the most drug free.

Even down to steriods and performance enhancing drugs...you can't really use them. The sport is too physical and draining, these drugs would slow you down and mess you up.

Think about all the players that use roids in baseball...even if they look athletic... (a-rod, manny) they aren't. They can hit the ball really far, but nothing really else. Ortiz, Clemens, A-rod, Manny, all very slow players when it comes down to it. None of them could play a sport like hockey.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:27 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I feel the same way about performance-enhancing drugs in lacrosse. Such a fast game, with such an emphasis on agility, dexterity, and coordination, would get ruined by huge, slow men filled with juice.

icehound
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:57 pm 
Star Sniper

Unfortunately, Hockey is a sport in which alcoholism (small-town, Canadian kids, who grew up drinking) and recreational drugs (party 'til ya puke) prevail...

I agree that there is only a minimal concern with performance enhancers - One would sacrifice far too much agility and coordination.

To alter one's muscultature, too profoundly, would result in an obvious clumsiness and a terrible decline in performance.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:02 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I agree, Ice, and this seems to be why the drug stories that emerge from the NHL are always of the "drug habit spirals out of control" variety instead of the "juicing ruined his performance" variety.