All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

mechaphil
 Post subject: Derek Boogaard 1982-2011
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:24 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Quote:
Awful news: Derek Boogaard was found dead today in his Minneapolis apartment by members of his family. He was 28. #mnwild #nyrangers

http://twitter.com/#!/Russostrib/statuses/69225811743481856

RIP you big lug

sabresEH
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:38 pm 
Garbage Man

RIP Boogeyman

Eh

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:42 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Just read a few more of Michael Russo's tweets. Derek's two brothers were going to be staying with him this weekend and he was really looking forward to it. I'm worried it was them who found him this morning.

sabresEH
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:45 pm 
Garbage Man

Yeah I saw those as well. It kind of sounds like it was. More news should be available shortly i'd imagine. I'm really interested in the c.o.d. tbh.

Eh

Montalo
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:46 pm 
PP Quarterback

Memory Eternal!

SABRESAllTheWay
 Post subject: Derek Boogaard 1982-2011
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:01 am 
MegaDouche

Just heard about it this morning here in budapest. Sad day for the NHL community! I'll be able to read more when I get back into the states.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:13 am 
Star Sniper

mechaphil wrote:
Just read a few more of Michael Russo's tweets. Derek's two brothers were going to be staying with him this weekend and he was really looking forward to it. I'm worried it was them who found him this morning.

Maybe that was the problem, and he partied too hard.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:44 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

Maybe that was the problem, and he partied too hard.

It never happened...they, as I feared, found him in the morning when they arrived at his apartment. Heartbreaking.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:54 pm 
Star Sniper

I hope it wasn't self-induced somehow.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:58 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

That's one of the prevailing concerns

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:01 pm 
Captain Dynasty

im nervous as to what this is going to be that caused it, even though thats not even close to fair to assume.

still, celebrate the life. tragically sad.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:01 pm 
Star Sniper

No matter how bad things might get for me or how much spare money I have to party with, I'm not getting coked up or killing myself until I'm in the retirement home and find out I'm physically unable to boink the hottie in the cribbage league.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:04 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
No matter how bad things might get for me or how much spare money I have to party with, I'm not getting coked up or killing myself until I'm in the retirement home and find out I'm physically unable to boink the hottie in the cribbage league.

Hah!

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:59 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

His brain will be donated by his family to the brain trauma center at Boston University (same one that examined Probert's brain). That to me signals that his family is concerned about the effect concussions had on him. Whether he committed suicide or not, this looks like it could be another damning statement against the type of hockey the NHL produces. If he committed suicide, it could well be because of depression caused by concussions.

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:53 pm 
Penalty Killer

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
His brain will be donated by his family to the brain trauma center at Boston University (same one that examined Probert's brain). That to me signals that his family is concerned about the effect concussions had on him. Whether he committed suicide or not, this looks like it could be another damning statement against the type of hockey the NHL produces. If he committed suicide, it could well be because of depression caused by concussions.

Curious- are you suggesting that the concussions themselves cause depression, or do you mean that the depression occurred when the reality/results/damage of the constant injuries and thus possible loss of the ability to play any more hockey caused him to become depressed to the point of suicide?

I know that the depression & possible suicide of Boogard is hypothetical at this point. I'm just trying to get clear on what exactly you mean.

(I made this all clear as mud, right? LOL )

patkane88
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:56 pm 
Captain Clutch

Heard the fan 590yesterday and they were speculating that he might have died of the concussion he had in the year.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:52 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Nuthatch wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:

Curious- are you suggesting that the concussions themselves cause depression, or do you mean that the depression occurred when the reality/results/damage of the constant injuries and thus possible loss of the ability to play any more hockey caused him to become depressed to the point of suicide?

I know that the depression & possible suicide of Boogard is hypothetical at this point. I'm just trying to get clear on what exactly you mean.

(I made this all clear as mud, right? LOL )

Yeah sorry I didn't make that more clear, but that's exactly what I meant.

This is from the wikipedia page on post concussion syndrome:
"The acronym PCS may also be used to mean post-concussion symptoms.[13] Symptoms can appear immediately, or weeks to months after the initial injury. Their severity lessens progressively over time.[14] The nature of the symptoms tends to change over time: they are most commonly of a physical nature following the injury, but tend to become predominantly psychological later.[15][16] Signs and symptoms such as noise sensitivity, problems with concentration and memory, irritability, depression, anxiety, fatigue, and poor judgment may be called 'late symptoms' because they generally do not occur immediately after the injury, but rather days or weeks after.[13] Nausea and drowsiness commonly occur early after concussion but usually do not last, while headache and dizziness occur immediately after the injury and are long lasting.[13]"

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:02 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

And in my opinion, this situation casts a shadow on the more brutal aspects of the game. If he died without killing himself or ODing, then you have to ask why the body of a young, professional athlete gave out. If he did kill himself or die from an overdose, that could very well be because of his mindstate caused by post concussion syndrome.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:54 pm 
Mrs. Miller

There have been several stories of athletes committing suicide due to a disease called chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which is caused by concussions, CNN did a story on it last year. A friend of mine plays for Penn State and he found his roommate/teammate dead fromn suicide in their apartment last year and the autopsy showed that he was suffering from CTE. Really sad.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:56 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

CTE is what they found after Bob Probert's wife donated his brain to the study, too.