Mr. Natural
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:32 pm 
7th Defenseman

NHL must be involved in mental health
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=A ... ika_090111

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:51 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Good article. I found some reinforcement for some of my feelings about the enforcer role:

"All of this is amplified for NHL enforcers. Their anguish is well-documented – the feeling in the pits of their stomachs before a fight, that they aren’t valued as much as skill players, that they have to fight to stay in the game. Enforcers are expected to be even tougher than usual, and indeed they are often clinging to their jobs. That can make it easier to slip into depression and harder to seek help.

“It’s a tremendous burden, for sure,” Kutcher said. “That alone is going to cause significant depression at a much higher rate than people who don’t do that job. … Obviously the big stars are more able to be injured than the guys who might be on the cusp. It’s that chunk of people, the ones that are on the cusp, on the fringe, that probably need a little more attention.”

Squanto
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:47 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

PatGreen wrote:
that's too darn bad...peer pressure is a bitch.

adults usually don't pick on other adults with serious issues. if they were 16 year old kids i'd probably get behind your rationale.

I know. Unfortunately, in my experience, hockey is both the most mature and most juvenile sport at the same time.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:56 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Quote:
I know. Unfortunately, in my experience, hockey is both the most mature and most juvenile sport at the same time.

QFT.

Came across an article in the Halifax Herald today detailing Cam Russell's NHL career and how it took it's toll on him emotionally..

Quote:
The Cole Harbour native had learned much about the protector role by the time he started his 10-year NHL career in 1989.

When Russell recalled this week what he had to do to get to hockey’s highest level and stay there, he immediately talked about the stress.

"From the time I played junior until age 24, I threw up before every game because of the stress of what I had to do," Russell said of his fighting role.

"Every morning on game day, you couldn’t eat. You were playing on coffee and Sudafeds. We (enforcers) become masters at hiding our emotions."

and..

Quote:
"It’s a tough job," Russell said. "When you’re playing that role, you spend most of the winter looking at the schedule, realizing that three days from now Detroit is coming into town and you’re going to be fighting Bob Probert and the next night Tie Domi is coming into town. It’s a stressful job. It’s like getting in fights at school every day.

"(Winning fights) is your job security. If you’re not (winning), it’s all for naught. After a while, you’re replaced by someone else. It’s very stressful and very dangerous."

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1261402.html

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

patkane88
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:18 pm 
Captain Clutch

mechaphil wrote:
When PJ Stock suggests that, while yes he was strangled to death, it was accidental, is he implying auto-erotic asphyxiation or am I reading too far into this?

Link posted as soon as I dig it up.

My dad mentioned this to me toady and I was like wtf??

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

patkane88
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:40 am 
Captain Clutch

Pj stock said to some radio station in Montreal the day that it was not a suicide and then the next day he retracts what he said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le2176896/

I kind of believe it wasn't a suicide either because the toronto police are still not saying how he died.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:34 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I just saw on a tweet on the front page of junkies that said that Rick Martin had CTE, the same degenerative brain disease that Probert had. Both died young, just like these three over the past summer. It's sad to say, but to me, the evidence against playing professional hockey keeps stacking up and up. This says to me that just the everyday hits a professional hockey player takes can have a seriously adverse effect on a player's health.