All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:09 am 
Star Sniper

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376445#YourCallTop

Just click on the video to the right.

Shelley gets five pre-season and five reg season games. Sheriff Shanahan is putting them behind bars early.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:19 am 
Superstar Goalie

:clap:

I'm diggin how Shanny is (So far) using thought and investigation processes in handing out suspensions, as opposed to the Colin Campbell Wheel of Discipline which has been in place since forever.

New Theme music for Shanny;

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:45 am 
Star Sniper

In fairness, Shanahan has the benefit of a new written rule to back-up harsher discipline. But the video delivery straight to the fans is a great touch for the PR element alone, but it helps fans and more importantly players to know exactly what is expected. There will be harder scenarios than these two though, but I expect Shanahan's effort to gain a lot more respect around the league even after more controversial scenarios play out.

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:30 pm 
More Heart Than Skill

I was expecting a much better approach to discipline when I heard Shanny was taking over. This is a good start.

Ham

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:17 pm 
Cup Winner

I like how he explains why they are suspended, I hope when it comes to questionable suspensions or nonsuspensions he also explains why they weren't.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:17 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Sending a message to cut out the crap before the season even starts...I like it.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:06 am 
Captain Clutch

I know it wasn't "significant" but I wonder if Shannahan reviewed the boarding hit that the Goose took last Leafs game?

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

sabresrocker56
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:26 pm 
Garbage Man

I love Shanny's approach. He explains everything clearly and concisely. Not only does he explain which rule the hit/suspension applies to, but he also makes sure the video is played several times as he takes the viewer through it. It will be tougher for him when star players are involved (Boyes was probably the most high profile subject so far). However,he seems to have, so far, ruled fairly. Overall this is the best system for players, the league, and fans. Right on Shanny.

Gerbacity

NYIntensity wrote:
Sabres2Sabres wrote:
If Miller and Myers were playing like they did last year, we'd probably be over 500 right now.

If I had decided to jerk off instead, I probably wouldn't be paying child support...

"Grier coming in over the line. He leaves it to Gaustad. The shot. THEY SCOOOREE!! RING UP ANOTHER ONE FOR THE GOOSE!!! HONK IF YA HEAR THE GOOSE!! 3-0 BUFFALO!"

Mr. Natural
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:38 pm 
7th Defenseman

sabresrocker56 wrote:
It will be tougher for him when star players are involved.

Actually, I think his approach makes it tougher to not follow the same procedure when it comes to star players. Being so clinical about how the rules are enforced makes it almost impossible for him to not do the same in the future no matter whose name is on the jersey.

Every ruling he makes becomes part of the YouTube library, forcing him to remain consistent all year.

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:39 pm 
Star Sniper

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

sabresrocker56
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:39 am 
Garbage Man

Mr. Natural wrote:
sabresrocker56 wrote:
It will be tougher for him when star players are involved.

Actually, I think his approach makes it tougher to not follow the same procedure when it comes to star players. Being so clinical about how the rules are enforced makes it almost impossible for him to not do the same in the future no matter whose name is on the jersey.

Every ruling he makes becomes part of the YouTube library, forcing him to remain consistent all year.

Maybe I didn't say that quite the right way. What I'm trying to say is he'll really be under the microscope if say, Stamkos or Crosby does something. Also any Ovechkin ruling will be interesting, considering he has a past of supplemental discipline. The only thing that kind of bothers me is that he never seemed to look into the Phaneuf/Armstrong hits from the two Sabres/Leafs games. I think the Armstrong one at the least was as bad as Boyes considering Armstrong's looked completely intentional. However, it's still preseason for Shanny too, so he probably won't catch everything (for now).

Gerbacity

NYIntensity wrote:
Sabres2Sabres wrote:
If Miller and Myers were playing like they did last year, we'd probably be over 500 right now.

If I had decided to jerk off instead, I probably wouldn't be paying child support...

"Grier coming in over the line. He leaves it to Gaustad. The shot. THEY SCOOOREE!! RING UP ANOTHER ONE FOR THE GOOSE!!! HONK IF YA HEAR THE GOOSE!! 3-0 BUFFALO!"

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:12 pm 
Captain Clutch

sabresindc wrote:
I know it wasn't "significant" but I wonder if Shannahan reviewed the boarding hit that the Goose took last Leafs game?

I guess I'm not the only who is asking the same question.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-beat/sabres-disappointed-in-no-suspension-for-armstrong/article2182031/

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:15 pm 
Hart Winner

I'm not liking Shanny so far. Too many suspensions, yet big hits are going unnoticed.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:21 pm 
Hart Winner

Also, he explained Boyes' hit on Coulborne was bad, and Coulborne didn't put himself in a vulnerable position. While I don't think Coulbourne did this intentionally, he, at the last second, he did move to the side of Boyes, when it would've been a body to body hit.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:04 pm 
MegaDouche

All a player has to do is try to move slightly to get a hit to the chin or something and act like you're knocked out cold. It will be taken advantage of, in good ways, and evil ways.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:10 pm 
PP Quarterback

SABRESAllTheWay wrote:
All a player has to do is try to move slightly to get a hit to the chin or something and act like you're knocked out cold. It will be taken advantage of, in good ways, and evil ways.

Shanny was a world class athlete for about two decades...he'll know if a guy is trying to draw an injury.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:12 pm 
Cup Winner

6 suspensions so far and the season hasn't even started yet.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:40 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

PatGreen wrote:
SABRESAllTheWay wrote:

Shanny was a world class athlete for about two decades...he'll know if a guy is trying to draw an injury.

^ ^^ This

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Los9090
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:48 am 
Superstar Goalie

Detroit's Brendan Smith is sure to get time for a match penalty on Chicago's Ben Smith. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377028

PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:12 am 
PP Quarterback

it's probably an old west-type battle.

"there's only room for ONE b smith on this rink, partner..."